Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

need help on selecting graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 12, 2006 10:39:25 AM

hi, i have a Mercury KOB P4M266a NDMx motherboard. i wanted to buy a new graphics card but the problem is tat i have a 4x agp slot so i dont knw which 1 to buy. kindy suggest me some graphics cards. my mail ID vcosk@yahoo.com .
December 12, 2006 11:50:19 AM

If you read the graphics card section of this forum, I expect you'll find some pointers, though to be honest, you're not going to find anything that'll set your system alight if it only offers a 4x AGP port...
December 12, 2006 1:10:43 PM

What games do you want to play with your machine, what's your CPU, and how much RAM do you have?
Related resources
December 12, 2006 5:26:06 PM

Quote:
If you read the graphics card section of this forum, I expect you'll find some pointers, though to be honest, you're not going to find anything that'll set your system alight if it only offers a 4x AGP port...


8x AGP cards will work fine with 4xAGP.
December 15, 2006 11:35:30 AM

Indeed it will. But as I said... it ain't gonna be setting his system on fire with blazing fast throughput and silky smooth DX10 visuals...
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2006 5:35:36 PM

Your choices are really limited for agp upgrades.

Best bet would be either a 7600gt($185) or a 7800gs($235)

What you should really do is save your money and upgrade your whole system.
December 15, 2006 5:41:18 PM

Quote:

Best bet would be either a 7600gt($185) or a 7800gs($235)


7800 GS = yuck

7600 GT is good, but the GS is about the same speed for more money.

If you're spending around $240, get an X1950 PRO... fastest AGP card out there, and it'll shame both the 7600 GT and 7800 GS.
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2006 6:23:29 PM

Check your power supply. It may be the limiting factor as to which AGP card will operate within the constrants of your PSU. As has been mentioned, the 7600GT is typically the best choice in terms of power efficiency, and it's also a solid performer.

Hope this helps. Enjoy! :D 
December 15, 2006 7:06:35 PM

Quote:
Indeed it will. But as I said... it ain't gonna be setting his system on fire with blazing fast throughput and silky smooth DX10 visuals...


I seriously doubt he'd notice the difference between 4x and 8x. And DX10, well there aren't any DX10 AGP cards, and there most likely won't be.
!