Sign in with
Your question

First time Builder, Seeking Input

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2006 12:25:56 PM

Reading Tom's Hardware recent guide to building a computer has inspired me to give it a try. I would like to hear feedback from you guys about what you think of the components I have selected (for my ~$1500 budget):

Motherboard: Asus P5B-E
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz
RAM: Crucial 2GB Kit PC2-5300 DDR2-667 *OR*
Crucial 2GB Kit PC2-6400 DDR2-800
Case: Lian-Li PC-65B
Power: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W
Video: EVGA nvidia GeForce 8800GTS
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB
DVD-ROM: Lite-On Black DVD-Rom Drive
DVD-Writer: NEC ND-3550A

Do these components fit together nicely for a good system?
Am I missing anything else I will need?

Thanks!
December 12, 2006 3:44:15 PM

AMDThunder:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have taken your advice and will go with the Seagate drive you suggested.

I am not planning on overclocking (not that confident in myself yet!)
You think the 533 RAM would do fine then? The 667 price is only $40 more, and I thought it would be faster.
Related resources
December 12, 2006 4:26:10 PM

Nice build. I agree if you're not OC'ing then just go with the 533. It's what I run.
December 12, 2006 4:55:29 PM

If your even remotely thinking of putting in a second video card, dont skimp on a power supply now. your already getting a good one but for a little more future proof grab the 700w version of the one you have said.. I have read that the 700 (and dear god i hope it is right cause that is the one i have) will actually run SLI 8800GTX's... maybe do just a little more research on that bit... (dont know what it would take to run your GTS in SLI, but...)(it is only $20 difference at my local shop)
Personally that is what i would do ( I have been stung before so.. am rather cautious these days)

Good luck with that !!
December 12, 2006 5:20:04 PM

Quote:
Nice build. I agree if you're not OC'ing then just go with the 533. It's what I run.

Right, 533 is all you need to run at atock settings. 266FSB X2 is 533. Well, ok, it's actually 532, but still. :) 

If you think you may get the itch to OC sometime in the future, spend a few extra bucks and get the 667.
December 12, 2006 8:04:36 PM

True. The components listed are everything he needs to do a great overclock on the system.....all you need is decent 667 RAM.

If you're NOT gonna overclock, then don't bother with that ASUS mobo or the other stuff....just go completely cheap, they're not needed, and save yourself money.

If you have ANY aspirations of doing any overclocking in the future, even a bit, then get the 667 RAM. The cost difference is negligible, given your total system cost, so really..........the extra $40 will let you OC your whole system. Don't spend the $40 and you've wasted far more because some of your components are overkill.

Get the 667 RAM, then your options are open for the future....you haven't completed painted yourself into a corner.
December 13, 2006 12:08:36 AM

Great sound won't come from not so great speakers. Unless you wanna shell out the extra dough for a nice set, the X-Fi is a waste of money.
December 13, 2006 12:15:43 AM

If he's not gonna get decent speakers in general, theres no reason to use anything but onboard sound anyways. Just pointing out that if he's going to spend money on a sound card, then get something good that BARELY costs more.
December 13, 2006 1:47:12 PM

AMDThunder:
Thanks for the advise on the RAM. I will want the flexibility to overclock in the future, so I will stick with the 667 RAM since it is only a slight increase in expense.

Daredevil_8:
Thanks for the heads up on the sound card. The $100 rebate is what caught my eye on the Audigy2 card. The X-FI Gamer card you suggested looks great (don't need the front panel really). It is only $15 more expensive than the Audigy2 after rebate, so I will stick with your advice.

AMD and Daredevil:
I have a very nice set of Sony speakers, so I did not want to use onboard sound. The X-FI Gamer card should produce the sound quality I am looking for.

Thanks to everyone for the continual feedback on my first computer build!

Will I need heatsinks, extra fans, etc for this box? If so, what do you recommend?
December 13, 2006 2:35:42 PM

CPU heatsink is not necessary, but is definitely advised if you plan on overclocking.

Arctic Freezer is a good but cheaper one, Tuniq/Scythe is more for the heavy-duty overclocks, Zalman is sexy but expensive.

With your Lian Li, I'd think the Arctic is the way to go:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
December 13, 2006 2:45:09 PM

Skyguy:
So before I take a plunge into overclocking in the future, I will be safe just using the heatsink that comes with the processor, correct?

I will keep your advice for the Artic Freezer in mind in the future when/if I decide to venture into the realm of overclocking.

Thanks for all of your tips! I am feeling more confident about my computer build now!
December 13, 2006 4:00:42 PM

Correct. The stock CPU cooler will do fine. It will also let you do some overclocking. The Arctic cooler is BETTER and QUIETER, but you can get it later when you get some extra $$ I suppose. In the meantime, get used to your system, and when you're ready to do some overclocking, ask around for help and research.

Also make sure you get some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste (now if you can), it's only $6 but definitely worth it.

Other than that, your system specs are GREAT. You should have alot of fun with it. Good job.

Good luck!
December 13, 2006 4:19:12 PM

Thanks again for all of your advice!

I will go ahead and purchase the grease now. It looks like it is OEM, but others in the newegg comments have suggested how to apply the solution.

I will also take your advice and wait for another cooling fan. I need to get familiar with my box, where the components sit, where the fans are, etc. I will remember the fan you suggested for a future rainy day purchase.

If it is appropriate for this forum, I will like to post my progress along the way.

z
December 13, 2006 4:45:01 PM

Feel free, post away! :)  Plus, if you run into problems, someone can help. Hopefully not, and you post next about how awesome it is ;) 

Be sure to check the sticky about building your own machine, there's some great links in there to help along the way with the little things. It can be intimidating at first, but when you break it down into smaller chunks, it's not that bad.

Good luck.
!