system resources

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hello.

Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
(WinXPSP2, Dell 9200)

Thanks.

Steffo
16 answers Last reply
More about system resources
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi, Steffo.

    The term "system resources" as used in Win9x/ME has no meaning in WinXP. As
    the other poster said, the Task Manager will tell you all you need to know
    (most of the time), and clicking View will let you choose the information
    that you want to see. But, you will notice, "system resources" is not one
    of the choices offered. Perhaps the closest to what you are asking about is
    the "CPU" column on the Processes tab. You might find that the System Idle
    Process is using 98% or more of your CPU, which just means that 98% of the
    time your computer is idling (like your car at a stop light), waiting on you
    to give it something useful to do.

    It takes a while after moving to WinXP to lose the Win9x/ME mindset. ;^}
    But, even though they look a lot alike on the surface, WinXP is quite
    different from Win9x/ME under the skin.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@corridor.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e28cea$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    > Hello.
    >
    > Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
    > (WinXPSP2, Dell 9200)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steffo
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Steffo wrote:
    > Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?

    For CPU, memory, pagefile and networking: Press CTRL-Shift-ESC, or right
    click your task bar and select "Task Manager". For disk usage: Right click
    the respective partition and select "Properties", or run Disk Management
    (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk
    Management). For other resources, go to Control Panel -> Administrative
    Tools -> Performance.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    André Gulliksen wrote:
    > Steffo wrote:
    >> Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
    >
    > For CPU, memory, pagefile and networking: Press CTRL-Shift-ESC, or
    > right click your task bar and select "Task Manager". For disk usage:
    > Right click the respective partition and select "Properties", or run
    > Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
    > Management -> Disk Management). For other resources, go to Control
    > Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Performance.

    Thank you for that, Andre'.
    Is the CPU usage and the system resources the same thing?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    No. WinXP does not have the System Resources problem Win 98 had. System
    Resources referred to two 64 KB heaps in Win98. These do not exist in WinXP

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx


    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e2941b$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    > André Gulliksen wrote:
    >> Steffo wrote:
    >>> Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
    >>
    >> For CPU, memory, pagefile and networking: Press CTRL-Shift-ESC, or
    >> right click your task bar and select "Task Manager". For disk usage:
    >> Right click the respective partition and select "Properties", or run
    >> Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
    >> Management -> Disk Management). For other resources, go to Control
    >> Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Performance.
    >
    > Thank you for that, Andre'.
    > Is the CPU usage and the system resources the same thing?
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks for the explaination, Mr White.
    I'm actually looking for the % of the system resources I'm using (as in
    WinME, as you guessed) in order to know if I can run another program or if I
    better close one before opening a new one.
    Is the reading of the % of CPU used the same thing?
    And if not, where can I get the info I need?
    Thanks again.
    Steffo

    R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Steffo.
    >
    > The term "system resources" as used in Win9x/ME has no meaning in
    > WinXP. As the other poster said, the Task Manager will tell you all
    > you need to know (most of the time), and clicking View will let you
    > choose the information that you want to see. But, you will notice,
    > "system resources" is not one of the choices offered. Perhaps the
    > closest to what you are asking about is the "CPU" column on the
    > Processes tab. You might find that the System Idle Process is using
    > 98% or more of your CPU, which just means that 98% of the time your
    > computer is idling (like your car at a stop light), waiting on you to
    > give it something useful to do.
    > It takes a while after moving to WinXP to lose the Win9x/ME mindset. ;^}
    > But, even though they look a lot alike on the surface, WinXP is
    > quite different from Win9x/ME under the skin.
    >
    > RC
    >
    > "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > news:41e28cea$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
    >> (WinXPSP2, Dell 9200)
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Steffo
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    The System Resources you are looking for do not exist in WinXP. You can
    open another program.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx


    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e29565_2@news.bluewin.ch...
    > Thanks for the explaination, Mr White.
    > I'm actually looking for the % of the system resources I'm using (as in
    > WinME, as you guessed) in order to know if I can run another program or if
    > I better close one before opening a new one.
    > Is the reading of the % of CPU used the same thing?
    > And if not, where can I get the info I need?
    > Thanks again.
    > Steffo
    >
    > R. C. White wrote:
    >> Hi, Steffo.
    >>
    >> The term "system resources" as used in Win9x/ME has no meaning in
    >> WinXP. As the other poster said, the Task Manager will tell you all
    >> you need to know (most of the time), and clicking View will let you
    >> choose the information that you want to see. But, you will notice,
    >> "system resources" is not one of the choices offered. Perhaps the
    >> closest to what you are asking about is the "CPU" column on the
    >> Processes tab. You might find that the System Idle Process is using
    >> 98% or more of your CPU, which just means that 98% of the time your
    >> computer is idling (like your car at a stop light), waiting on you to
    >> give it something useful to do.
    >> It takes a while after moving to WinXP to lose the Win9x/ME mindset. ;^}
    >> But, even though they look a lot alike on the surface, WinXP is
    >> quite different from Win9x/ME under the skin.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> news:41e28cea$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    >>> Hello.
    >>>
    >>> Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
    >>> (WinXPSP2, Dell 9200)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Steffo
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Does XP have "Resource Monitor"?

    It used to be a utility in Windows 9x up to Windows 2000....probably buried
    somewhere in XP - but it may not install by default so you need to go to control
    panel, Install Programs.

    Otherwise I'm sure there's plenty of progs on the Internet that can help. Or
    does the Task Monitor (ctrl-alt-del in Windows NT/2000/XP show things like system
    resources??


    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e28cea$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    > Hello.
    >
    > Where can I read the % of the system resources I'm using?
    > (WinXPSP2, Dell 9200)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steffo
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In news:eApBg$79EHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Andrew Murray <admurray@iinet.net.au> typed:

    > Does XP have "Resource Monitor"?
    >
    > It used to be a utility in Windows 9x up to Windows
    > 2000....probably
    > buried somewhere in XP - but it may not install by default so
    > you
    > need to go to control panel, Install Programs.
    >
    > Otherwise I'm sure there's plenty of progs on the Internet that
    > can
    > help. Or does the Task Monitor (ctrl-alt-del in Windows
    > NT/2000/XP
    > show things like system resources??


    No, it doesn't show System Resources because System Resources
    don't exist in Windows XP.
    The term "System Resources," in Windows 9x and Me, referred to a
    particular data structure that doesn't exist in Windows XP.

    That's one of XP's many improvements over 9X. There are no System
    Resources to run out of or to be concerned with.


    --
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    Please reply to the newsgroup
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    > The System Resources you are looking for do not exist in WinXP. You
    > can open another program.

    Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I can
    change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    I thought that the system is supposed to use some gard disc space when RAM's
    full: how can I improve this feature?
    Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's open, the
    messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open a
    graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M RAM and
    I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the memory
    space?
    Thanks for your help.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi, Steffo.

    Something may be wrong in your computer! :>(

    > I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.

    That should be PLENTY of RAM to run most anything short of a
    graphics-intensive application, such as editing video.

    > But nothing's changed:

    Yes, many things HAVE changed! As we have been telling you, WinXP is
    designed quite differently from WinME. The term System Resources no longer
    exists as it did in WinME.

    > is there anything I can do to enhance the memory space?

    What are your settings for Virtual Memory (also known as Paging File or Page
    File or Swap File)? You might want to read MVP Alex Nichol's explanation of
    the subject first:
    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    Then go to System Properties | Advanced | Performance/Settings | Advanced.
    What does it say at the bottom of this window? "Total paging file size for
    all drives" should be about 1.5 * your RAM; on my computer with 1 GB RAM,
    this number is 1535 MB. Click Change. On this screen, the "Recommended"
    and "Currently allocated" numbers at the bottom of the screen should both be
    about the same as that 1535 MB. This screen is where you decide where your
    page file should be created and how big it should be. You haven't told us
    how many HDs you have or how they are partitioned, so we can't recommend
    anything other than the "generic": First, select each Drive, in turn, and
    select No paging file, then Set for that drive. Then go back to the one
    Drive where you want the page file to be created, click System managed size
    for that drive and click Set for it. Then OK your way out; you may have to
    reboot for your change to take effect.

    Now, you should have plenty of physical and virtual memory to handle ANY
    application. To keep an eye on it, bring up the Task Manager. The
    Performance tab will show you, both graphically and in table form, how much
    memory you have and how much has been used and is being used. Among other
    items, under Commit Charge, you should see "Limit 2518692" (in KB - that's
    about 2.5 GB, which is your 1 GB physical memory plus 1.5 GB page file); the
    Peak number is the most of this memory that you have used in your current
    session.

    Task Manager's Processes tab shows how your CPU is being used by the various
    running processes. The CPU column should always add up to 100%. If you
    click on this column head, the table will be sorted by CPU usage; click
    again to reverse it from least-used to most-used. Most of the time, the top
    item will be System Idle Process; it quite often shows 99%, or close to it.
    This means that most of the time, your CPU is just sitting there idling,
    like your car engine at a stop light, waiting for you to give it something
    useful to do.

    If your CPU is actually busy 95% of the time on something other than the
    System Idle Process, please tell us which process is using that CPU time.
    There are a few situations in WinXP that can result in the System process
    using 95%, and we can help you cure that if it really is happening to you.
    More often, though, excessive CPU usage is caused by some malware in your
    computer.

    > Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's open,
    > the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.

    My OE6 is open now, including this Compose window, plus a browser page, and
    Task Manager itself; Messenger is open enough to show its icon, but I don't
    use it. System Idle Process is using 95%-99% (it normally fluctuates
    dynamically). I'm not sure what you mean by an FX trading site; is this a
    web page open in IE? How much CPU usage does it show?

    Some viruses or other malware can also cause excessive CPU usage. Have you
    been practicing "save hex"? Have you run a virus scan? Recently?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@corridor.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e66346$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    >> The System Resources you are looking for do not exist in WinXP. You
    >> can open another program.
    >
    > Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I can
    > change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    > I thought that the system is supposed to use some gard disc space when
    > RAM's full: how can I improve this feature?
    > Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's open,
    > the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    > With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open a
    > graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    > It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M RAM
    > and I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    > But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the memory
    > space?
    > Thanks for your help.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e66346$1_3@news.bluewin.ch
    >
    > Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I
    > can change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    > I thought that the system is supposed to use some gard disc space
    > when RAM's full: how can I improve this feature?
    > Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    > open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    > With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open a
    > graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    > It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M
    > RAM and I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    > But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the
    > memory space?
    > Thanks for your help.

    First eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See also:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&DisplayLang=en
    for the new Microsoft program which was previously released by Giant
    Software.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Steffo, after checking his typo mistakes, wrote:

    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    >> The System Resources you are looking for do not exist in WinXP. You
    >> can open another program.

    > Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I
    > can change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    > I thought that the system is supposed to use some hard disc space
    > when RAM's full: how can I improve this feature?
    > Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    > open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    > With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open a
    > graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    > It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M
    > RAM and I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    > But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the
    > memory space?
    > Thanks for your help.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi RC.

    Fx trading is a stand-alone site where you trade currencies: in each page of
    the program (connected to the bank server), you can set up several windows
    (i.e.: grafic charts, sell/buy applications, market news and updates,
    banking experts chat windows.....) and it's constantly on line to retrieve
    value changes of all currencies (24hrs/day, 7days/week) = CPU usage is
    between 10 and 40% (memory usage 83488K).
    My laptop (the one with 2G proc and 1G RAM) is brand new and I installed all
    updates, run AV and AdAware.
    I've checked the Page File value and it is set from initial size1500 to
    maximum size 3000MB.
    Should I delete those value and replace it with the option "system managed
    size"?
    Someone else told me those values should be from 150 to 3300MB: what do you
    think about it?
    What do you recomand?

    Cheers, Steffo


    R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Steffo.
    >
    > Something may be wrong in your computer! :>(
    >
    >> I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    >
    > That should be PLENTY of RAM to run most anything short of a
    > graphics-intensive application, such as editing video.
    >
    >> But nothing's changed:
    >
    > Yes, many things HAVE changed! As we have been telling you, WinXP is
    > designed quite differently from WinME. The term System Resources no
    > longer exists as it did in WinME.
    >
    >> is there anything I can do to enhance the memory space?
    >
    > What are your settings for Virtual Memory (also known as Paging File
    > or Page File or Swap File)? You might want to read MVP Alex Nichol's
    > explanation of the subject first:
    > Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    >
    > Then go to System Properties | Advanced | Performance/Settings |
    > Advanced. What does it say at the bottom of this window? "Total
    > paging file size for all drives" should be about 1.5 * your RAM; on
    > my computer with 1 GB RAM, this number is 1535 MB. Click Change. On
    > this screen, the "Recommended" and "Currently allocated" numbers at
    > the bottom of the screen should both be about the same as that 1535
    > MB. This screen is where you decide where your page file should be
    > created and how big it should be. You haven't told us how many HDs
    > you have or how they are partitioned, so we can't recommend anything
    > other than the "generic": First, select each Drive, in turn, and
    > select No paging file, then Set for that drive. Then go back to the
    > one Drive where you want the page file to be created, click System
    > managed size for that drive and click Set for it. Then OK your way
    > out; you may have to reboot for your change to take effect.
    > Now, you should have plenty of physical and virtual memory to handle
    > ANY application. To keep an eye on it, bring up the Task Manager. The
    > Performance tab will show you, both graphically and in table
    > form, how much memory you have and how much has been used and is
    > being used. Among other items, under Commit Charge, you should see
    > "Limit 2518692" (in KB - that's about 2.5 GB, which is your 1 GB
    > physical memory plus 1.5 GB page file); the Peak number is the most
    > of this memory that you have used in your current session.
    >
    > Task Manager's Processes tab shows how your CPU is being used by the
    > various running processes. The CPU column should always add up to
    > 100%. If you click on this column head, the table will be sorted by
    > CPU usage; click again to reverse it from least-used to most-used. Most of
    > the time, the top item will be System Idle Process; it quite
    > often shows 99%, or close to it. This means that most of the time,
    > your CPU is just sitting there idling, like your car engine at a stop
    > light, waiting for you to give it something useful to do.
    >
    > If your CPU is actually busy 95% of the time on something other than
    > the System Idle Process, please tell us which process is using that
    > CPU time. There are a few situations in WinXP that can result in the
    > System process using 95%, and we can help you cure that if it really
    > is happening to you. More often, though, excessive CPU usage is
    > caused by some malware in your computer.
    >
    >> Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    >> open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    >
    > My OE6 is open now, including this Compose window, plus a browser
    > page, and Task Manager itself; Messenger is open enough to show its
    > icon, but I don't use it. System Idle Process is using 95%-99% (it
    > normally fluctuates dynamically). I'm not sure what you mean by an
    > FX trading site; is this a web page open in IE? How much CPU usage
    > does it show?
    > Some viruses or other malware can also cause excessive CPU usage. Have you
    > been practicing "save hex"? Have you run a virus scan? Recently?
    > RC
    >
    > "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > news:41e66346$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    >>> The System Resources you are looking for do not exist in WinXP. You
    >>> can open another program.
    >>
    >> Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I
    >> can change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    >> I thought that the system is supposed to use some gard disc space
    >> when RAM's full: how can I improve this feature?
    >> Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    >> open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    >> With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open
    >> a graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    >> It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M
    >> RAM and I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    >> But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the
    >> memory space?
    >> Thanks for your help.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi, Steffo.

    Thanks for the explanation of Fx trading. I'm not sure what impact it would
    have on memory or CPU time or virtual memory. The 83488 KB memory usage is
    only 83 MB, which is almost negligible in a computer with 1 GB RAM + virtual
    memory. CPU usage of up to 40% seems high, but many programs can spike that
    high momentarily. You might check with the program vendor to see if anybody
    else is reporting problems in using it with WinXP.

    Do any other processes show over 10% CPU usage in Task Manager?

    > Should I delete those value and replace it with the option "system managed
    > size"?

    That's what I would do. If it doesn't work for you, then you can back up
    and use the old values.

    > Someone else told me those values should be from 150 to 3300MB: what do
    > you think about it?
    > What do you recomand?

    I'm no expert in these areas, just an experienced user - and I haven't
    experienced the problems you are having. Have you read the article I gave
    you the link for? That's the only recommendation I have.

    Please report back when you track down the problem - and the solution.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@corridor.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e69e23$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    > Hi RC.
    >
    > Fx trading is a stand-alone site where you trade currencies: in each page
    > of the program (connected to the bank server), you can set up several
    > windows (i.e.: grafic charts, sell/buy applications, market news and
    > updates, banking experts chat windows.....) and it's constantly on line to
    > retrieve value changes of all currencies (24hrs/day, 7days/week) = CPU
    > usage is between 10 and 40% (memory usage 83488K).
    > My laptop (the one with 2G proc and 1G RAM) is brand new and I installed
    > all updates, run AV and AdAware.
    > I've checked the Page File value and it is set from initial size1500 to
    > maximum size 3000MB.
    > Should I delete those value and replace it with the option "system managed
    > size"?
    > Someone else told me those values should be from 150 to 3300MB: what do
    > you think about it?
    > What do you recomand?
    >
    > Cheers, Steffo
    >
    >
    > R. C. White wrote:
    >> Hi, Steffo.
    >>
    >> Something may be wrong in your computer! :>(
    >>
    >>> I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    >>
    >> That should be PLENTY of RAM to run most anything short of a
    >> graphics-intensive application, such as editing video.
    >>
    >>> But nothing's changed:
    >>
    >> Yes, many things HAVE changed! As we have been telling you, WinXP is
    >> designed quite differently from WinME. The term System Resources no
    >> longer exists as it did in WinME.
    >>
    >>> is there anything I can do to enhance the memory space?
    >>
    >> What are your settings for Virtual Memory (also known as Paging File
    >> or Page File or Swap File)? You might want to read MVP Alex Nichol's
    >> explanation of the subject first:
    >> Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    >>
    >> Then go to System Properties | Advanced | Performance/Settings |
    >> Advanced. What does it say at the bottom of this window? "Total
    >> paging file size for all drives" should be about 1.5 * your RAM; on
    >> my computer with 1 GB RAM, this number is 1535 MB. Click Change. On
    >> this screen, the "Recommended" and "Currently allocated" numbers at
    >> the bottom of the screen should both be about the same as that 1535
    >> MB. This screen is where you decide where your page file should be
    >> created and how big it should be. You haven't told us how many HDs
    >> you have or how they are partitioned, so we can't recommend anything
    >> other than the "generic": First, select each Drive, in turn, and
    >> select No paging file, then Set for that drive. Then go back to the
    >> one Drive where you want the page file to be created, click System
    >> managed size for that drive and click Set for it. Then OK your way
    >> out; you may have to reboot for your change to take effect.
    >> Now, you should have plenty of physical and virtual memory to handle
    >> ANY application. To keep an eye on it, bring up the Task Manager. The
    >> Performance tab will show you, both graphically and in table
    >> form, how much memory you have and how much has been used and is
    >> being used. Among other items, under Commit Charge, you should see
    >> "Limit 2518692" (in KB - that's about 2.5 GB, which is your 1 GB
    >> physical memory plus 1.5 GB page file); the Peak number is the most
    >> of this memory that you have used in your current session.
    >>
    >> Task Manager's Processes tab shows how your CPU is being used by the
    >> various running processes. The CPU column should always add up to
    >> 100%. If you click on this column head, the table will be sorted by
    >> CPU usage; click again to reverse it from least-used to most-used. Most
    >> of the time, the top item will be System Idle Process; it quite
    >> often shows 99%, or close to it. This means that most of the time,
    >> your CPU is just sitting there idling, like your car engine at a stop
    >> light, waiting for you to give it something useful to do.
    >>
    >> If your CPU is actually busy 95% of the time on something other than
    >> the System Idle Process, please tell us which process is using that
    >> CPU time. There are a few situations in WinXP that can result in the
    >> System process using 95%, and we can help you cure that if it really
    >> is happening to you. More often, though, excessive CPU usage is
    >> caused by some malware in your computer.
    >>
    >>> Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    >>> open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    >>
    >> My OE6 is open now, including this Compose window, plus a browser
    >> page, and Task Manager itself; Messenger is open enough to show its
    >> icon, but I don't use it. System Idle Process is using 95%-99% (it
    >> normally fluctuates dynamically). I'm not sure what you mean by an
    >> FX trading site; is this a web page open in IE? How much CPU usage
    >> does it show?
    >> Some viruses or other malware can also cause excessive CPU usage. Have
    >> you been practicing "save hex"? Have you run a virus scan? Recently?
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> news:41e66346$1_3@news.bluewin.ch...
    >>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    >>>> The System Resources you are looking for do not exist in WinXP. You
    >>>> can open another program.
    >>>
    >>> Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I
    >>> can change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    >>> I thought that the system is supposed to use some gard disc space
    >>> when RAM's full: how can I improve this feature?
    >>> Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    >>> open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    >>> With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open
    >>> a graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    >>> It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M
    >>> RAM and I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    >>> But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the
    >>> memory space?
    >>> Thanks for your help.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Frank, there's no spyware in my system.
    Do you know the values I should write in the paging file size?
    Or should I leave it on "system managed size?


    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE wrote:
    > "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > news:41e66346$1_3@news.bluewin.ch
    >>
    >> Following up to what you said, I'm wondering if there is a setting I
    >> can change in order to avoid freezing with CPU 100%.
    >> I thought that the system is supposed to use some gard disc space
    >> when RAM's full: how can I improve this feature?
    >> Just to give you an example: my OE6 is open, an XP browser page's
    >> open, the messenger's open, my FX trading site is open.
    >> With all that, I'm using 95% CPU and my PC freezes if I want to open
    >> a graphic page (like a diagram chart) within the trading site.
    >> It's exactly the same of when I was using WinME, 1G processor, 256M
    >> RAM and I wanted to improve buying WinXP, 2G processor, 1G RAM.
    >> But nothing's changed: is there anything I can do to enhance the
    >> memory space?
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >
    > First eliminate any spyware.
    > What You Should Know About Spyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:41e6cceb$1_3@news.bluewin.ch
    > Frank, there's no spyware in my system.
    > Do you know the values I should write in the paging file size?
    > Or should I leave it on "system managed size?
    >
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE wrote:
    >>
    >> First eliminate any spyware.
    >> What You Should Know About Spyware
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    Let Windows manage it.
    If you only ran one anti-spyware program you do NOT know that you're free of
    spyware. Which did you run.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Dell Windows XP