Sign in with
Your question

Strange problem with my 8800GTX and Viewsonic LCD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2006 12:57:31 PM

I just got my 8800 last week and i had a 7800GTX before. Since i installed the new card i am having trouble with my LCD screen. (21" Viewsonic Pro series) It looks like it is flickering and shuts down then turn on again. The screen is kind of jumps up and down, vertically. I called Viewsonic and they gave me an RMA number but i don't feel like sending my screen away and maybe the problem is in my computer.
Does anyone has any experience with that kind of the problem?

I did not uninstall the old drivers just installed the new ones on top.
December 12, 2006 1:38:17 PM

try with ur old 7800gtx again and see if it does it, and clean the driver before installing new ones
December 12, 2006 1:50:55 PM

I sold my old 7800GTX. The monitor has never had that problem with my old card. As soon as i put the new card in i am having this problem. For some reason it appears when the monitor has to come back from the screen saver. If i use the monitor for gaming i don't have that problem at all.
Related resources
December 12, 2006 2:17:24 PM

well i would remove the drivers and reinstall em, maybe the old drivers conflict with the new
December 12, 2006 2:22:32 PM

Yeah thats my guess as well. I just wasn't sure if maybe someone else has some other ideas what else can be wrong.

Thanks for your help though
December 12, 2006 2:29:15 PM

Would you recommend me any software that does a good job at cleaning out old drivers, that i can use?
December 12, 2006 3:40:01 PM

Thanks guys for the help, I really appreciate it.
I will give those a try tonight when i get home.
December 12, 2006 7:58:50 PM

How can i tell if my card is one of the defected one?
December 13, 2006 9:33:04 AM

Well i cleaned up my system from the old drivers and installed the new ones but the monitor still does the jumping. I try to figure out when it does it and what triggers it, but it is completely random. It seems though that when its jumping if i restart my computer than that fixes it.

Wether or not i have the defected video card i would like to know how can i test that. I followed the links Niz put up and they suggested to run "Atitool" which is strange because why would you run atitool on an Nvidia card. Anyways i did that and the artifact display shows ok, which they said it would be all messed up if i have the defected card. They also mentioned something about high resolution but i can not go above 16x12, thats the max my monitor supports.

So any suggestion is welcome if you guys have any idea what could be wrong, or what else should i try. For some strange reason after a reboot or two everything seems to be stable, and no more screen jumping.

I really would like to know what do you guys think. :?
December 13, 2006 10:25:13 AM

Check ur power supply my friend had the same type of issue but with an older video card he got a new PSU and the fix was gone try borrowing one of ur friends psu and see how that goes.
December 13, 2006 10:37:07 AM

the gts didnt have that problem as the gtx had..

For some strange reason after a reboot or two everything seems to be stable, and no more screen jumping. <-> so it works now ? O.o how big is ur PSU?
December 13, 2006 10:38:24 AM

My power supply is brand new. Bought it 2 weeks ago Enermax Liberty 650W.
I remember having this issue with my monitor way back when i first got and it was the refresh rate of the screen was set wrong and thats why it was doing that. Right now it is set 16x12x60Hz. There is no other settings available for refresh rate so i am stuck.
December 13, 2006 10:45:40 AM

go to dxdiag go to trouble shoot set the adapters refresh rate to what you think the refresh rate should be to fix it.
December 13, 2006 10:55:44 AM

did u have a gts or a gtx ? O.o
December 13, 2006 11:07:21 AM

I have a BFG 8800 GTX
Asus A8n32 SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD x2 4600 CPU S939
2Gb Crucial DDR RAM
Enermax Liberty 650W power supply
Viewsonic 21" Professional series LCD display
200Gb -ATA Maxtor hard drive
2x250 Gb Sata hard drives in Raid 0
December 13, 2006 11:26:52 AM

If it's giving you greif don't waste your time trying all these differant solutions, just get an RMA and send it back for a new one.
December 13, 2006 11:30:14 AM

Well send what back for a new one video card or monitor?
December 13, 2006 11:33:58 AM

weird.. maybe u could try on another monitor if u can but as jeanluc says u could also RMA it and hope it works when u get a new one back
December 13, 2006 11:58:51 AM

I have a 21" CRT i will try it with the card, and see what happens.
That will show whether the monitor or the video card is the problem.
Thanks for the help guys i will keep you posted what happened. :) 
December 13, 2006 12:32:36 PM

With Nvidia drivers, Nvidia always says to uninstall any previous driver before installing the new one. If you installed the new one over the old one and then you tried to undo it then I'm afraid you probably messed up your registry. If I were you, I'd try doing a clean reinstall of your OS. This might help.
December 13, 2006 12:36:54 PM

I dont know about that. I have been using Nvidia cards and drivers for a few years now ,and i always installed the new drivers on top of the old ones, but never had a problem. It always worked fine for me. Also this problem does not seems like a registry issue. It feels more like a hardware related issue.

I might reinstall my windows though just to be sure.
December 13, 2006 2:22:53 PM

Ok i got your point, and i understand that the way i was upgrading my driver is not proper. But it was working perfectly fine anyways.
I did have driver issues before with something else and i know when i have driver problems but this is not it.

I managed to remove all Nvidia drivers last night from my computer, than i cleaned my registry, and installed the new drivers. But the issue is still there.
I will try my computer with a different monitor, and then i will reinstall windows, if the issue is still there.

It is just a long painful way to go to find out what the hell is wrong.
December 13, 2006 2:23:06 PM

I can only get proper LCD output from the 96.89 version. Any other versions will cause my monitor to lose display saying the resolution is not supported.

The only catch is that your movies and stuff will not play unless you use Haali's video rendering as your playing option if you change resolutions to anything non standard. I was only able to do this using Windows Media Player Classic that came with K-Lite's mega codec pack.

I am able to play games, etc just fine doing this and watch movies that are playable through MPC. However, videos that refuse to use anything other than media player 9 will not work.

I see you have a BFG and I have an EVGA card, I think we are suffering from driver issues.

There is no way this is a hardware issue if other cards and at least ONE version of the 8800 drivers let us display properly.
December 13, 2006 2:48:11 PM

I will give that driver a try when i got home.
Thanks
December 14, 2006 9:26:56 AM

Quote:
I can only get proper LCD output from the 96.89 version. Any other versions will cause my monitor to lose display saying the resolution is not supported.

The only catch is that your movies and stuff will not play unless you use Haali's video rendering as your playing option if you change resolutions to anything non standard. I was only able to do this using Windows Media Player Classic that came with K-Lite's mega codec pack.

I am able to play games, etc just fine doing this and watch movies that are playable through MPC. However, videos that refuse to use anything other than media player 9 will not work.

I see you have a BFG and I have an EVGA card, I think we are suffering from driver issues.

There is no way this is a hardware issue if other cards and at least ONE version of the 8800 drivers let us display properly.

Ok i installed those drivers, and i have not seen any of the strange behavior yet. Also i played Rainbow Six Vegas last night with the newest Nvidia drivers, with all the details cranked up to max and resolution at 16x12, and i was getting choppy frame rate which was very disappointing.

This morning i uninstalled those latest drivers and installed the 96.89 ones, and my frame rate in the game jumped to fluid smooth. The way it supposed to be. Also i have not seen any of the screen problems yet that i was complaining about earlier. I am going to test these drivers even more on the weekend, and let you guys know if i will have any more issues, but so far i am very satisfied.

Thank you for all your help guys. This forum kicks ass.
December 18, 2006 12:14:25 PM

Ok i went through a series of tests and here is what i found.
My video card is perfectly fine. I don't have to RMA it. My monitor is working fine as well. I tested it with a different computer.

I reformat my hard drive and reinstalled XP. Now whatever driver i use 96.89 or 97.44, my screen is jumping up and down, and the monitor shuts off, then turns back on just like it does when you install a new driver on and your monitor flickers for a second or two. :( 

Then i restart the computer and the problem goes away.

If i leave my computer running and my screen goes to sleep (shuts off) and i leave it like that for about 30minutes or so, than when i come back to the computer and move the mouse to get the monitor turn back on i get the flickering effect again. Until i restart the computer and then it goes away for as long as my screen does not shut off.

So what do you guys think? I am open for suggestions.
December 18, 2006 2:09:54 PM

If you turn off all of your powersave options, does the problem still occur, or simply only when the screen shuts off?

Did you re-install the monitor drivers that Viewsonic supplied with it?
December 18, 2006 2:26:15 PM

Quote:
If you turn off all of your powersave options, does the problem still occur, or simply only when the screen shuts off?

Did you re-install the monitor drivers that Viewsonic supplied with it?

I have not tried that. I will turn those power options off and see what happens.
I do have the drivers from Viewsonic but it is dated back to 2003. If i install the latest ones from their website it just stays at the one from 2003. :?
December 18, 2006 2:42:14 PM

This is not a driver issue. You can try reinstalling the drivers, but I doubt that will fix the issue.

Look for a video BIOS update, since you're only having problems coming back from low-power mode. I had an identical problem with a GF2 Ultra beta card.

Also, ensure that you're using the white DVI cable (and not both), as long as your monitor has a DVI input. If you're using the DVI (digital, white) and D-SUB (Analog, Blue) connectors together, your monitor will default to the blue/analog connection. Use only the DVI when available- as this will eliminate refresh rate entirely.
December 18, 2006 2:54:51 PM

Ok i am using the white DVI cable only. How can i get a BIOS update for my video card? :?
December 18, 2006 5:00:16 PM

If there is one available, it should be on the card manufacturer's web site. What is the make and model of your card?
December 18, 2006 5:37:10 PM

Quote:
If there is one available, it should be on the card manufacturer's web site. What is the make and model of your card?

It is a BFG 8800 GTX. Well to be honest i would rather just leave the bios alone on my card. It is too expensive of a toy to screw around with.
December 18, 2006 5:45:51 PM

It's defintiely worth trying a different monitor cable in this situation, you would be surprised how many issues end up coming down to something as simple as a bent pin or dry solder joint in a cable.

If you have access to another DVI cable I would give it a try, also try the analog cabling too for comparison. Under the circumstances it's worth trying everything you can.

Good Luck.
December 18, 2006 6:25:01 PM

I definitely agree with GavinLeigh- try different cables, if possible.

BFG makes a great card, but their online support is lackluster- I'd suggest giving them a call at: 1-866-BFGFIXX (1-866-234-3499)... assuming that you're in North America.

Also, a BIOS update would be covered under warranty, if the update is published or approved by BFG.
December 18, 2006 6:40:54 PM

I will give the cable a try first because i also noticed that i am getting this error more often if the cable is pluged into the first connector in the video card than if it is plugged into the second.
December 18, 2006 9:11:40 PM

Quote:
It's defintiely worth trying a different monitor cable in this situation, you would be surprised how many issues end up coming down to something as simple as a bent pin or dry solder joint in a cable.

If you have access to another DVI cable I would give it a try, also try the analog cabling too for comparison. Under the circumstances it's worth trying everything you can.

Good Luck.

I got a new DVI cable. It was kinda expensive :(  but anyways i put it together, and it seems to be working ok now. I also noticed that the new DVI cable has those bumps at the end of the cable they are kind of like filters or something i am not sure, and the old cable did not have them. I saw those bumps on the end of the VGA cables. After i booted up computer with the new cable i also noticed that the screen seems to be a bit brighter now. Maybe thats just kind of psychic or something but it is definitely looks brighter.

I will test it and let you guys know. Thank you for all your help and input.
December 18, 2006 11:57:34 PM

I think i found out what the problem is/was. After examining the new DVI cable i just bought i noticed that it has a lot more pins than my current cable. Also it is about twice as thick as my old cable was. Then after a quick Google search i learned that the old cable i have is DVI single link and the new cable i just purchased is DVI dual link.

According to some websites on the net here is the main different in between the DVI single link and dual link cables:

The primary difference between Single Link and Dual link is that each supports varying resolution levels.

* DVI-D Dual link: up to 2048x1596; digital only
* DVI-D Single link: up to 1920x1080; digital only

I was running my LCD at 1600x1200 since that was the native resolution. 8O with single link cable

Also while i was having those screen jumping and flickering issues i changed my screen resolution to a lower one like 1280x1024, and the jumping stopped.

Now it makes sense why. :) 
December 19, 2006 1:59:17 PM

The reason I suggested cables was because I had a similar problem on a batch of 20 Planar monitors when using Intel on board video. The monitors would flicker and occasionally go into power saving mode or report no signal. We replaced the 20 cables with thicker and better quality VGA cables and the problem went away. I think that the signal strength must have been borderline due to signal loss on the thin VGA cables. The tech support at Planar were terrible and in the end we had to pay for the replacement cables, but I did learn two things. 1) Check the cables thoroughly... and 2) Do not to buy Planar monitors. I hate to put it like that but one nasty experience can change your purchasing habits forever. Viewsonic have my vote right now.

Well Krisz I hope that sorts your issue out finally, I'm jealous of the video card. Somehow I don't think Santa thinks I've been good enough this year to deserve an nvidia 8800.

Happy Holidays to Everyone.
December 19, 2006 2:03:29 PM

Thanks mate :) 
December 27, 2006 1:06:41 PM

Well i have tried everything, and i am still having this issue. When the monitor is starts to jump, up and down if i shut off the monitor for a few seconds and turn it back on sometimes the issue is gone. If i really want it to be gone than i have to reboot my computer. After the 2nd reboot i have no more problems.

So i am RMA-ing my video card. If that will not help than i will have to get my LCD an RMA number. :( 
!