Fun with LEDs

Replaced my mouse's generic red LED with a blue one. Due to a blue light wavelength being shorter than red light, the mouse should theoretically have a far higher resolution than normal. And yes, it does.

Now I come to a question. White LED fans - overseas availability of.

Down here (south africa, joy) we can get LED fans in red, blue, green, yellow/orange or multicolour. I am wondering whether the white LED fans in my case (2x120, 3x80) are nonexistent here or globally.

Admittedly, while a red/green/yellow LED is around R4, a blue one is around R7 or so, and the whites are R15+. All waterclear ultrabrights 6500~8500mcd.

For all I know, overseas white LED fans are even more unremarkable than the blue/red/psychedelic varieties. Anyone ever seen one before?
13 answers Last reply
More about leds
  1. i think we need a conversion to us dollars buddy
  2. are you talking about something like these from newegg link
  3. Good point: ZAR 7.00 = US$ 1.00 - as close as makes no odds.
    White LED around $2, blue around $1, others around 40~60c I'd guess.

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what I was talking about.
    Also exactly what I cannot get down here due to idiotic import/export regulations - and have I mentioned it's a third world country?

I hate this place...
  4. If you hate SA that much just leave you Prick!
  5. But then what will I have left to bitch about?
  6. you could bitch about high gas prices and UPS smashing the hell out of your parts like everybody else.

white LED's

i would just buy a couple hundred of those then line the inside of your case with them, the power will be a problem. (im sure you could mod the end of a moltex power cable or something.) and you would have to be pretty handy with a soldering iron, but it would look totally awesome! the diffused ones would probably look a little better.
  7. You old lady maybe.............
  8. Handy with a soldering iron? Used to do industrial electronics before I started working in a PC shop. Enjoy the PC stuff more too.

High gas prices are fact of life everywhere, I'd guess. Couriers too... and politicians...

@sticky: luckily for me, I'm single, and planning to stay that way for some time yet. Last one, well, let's just say I considered becoming gay until I (finally) dumped her.
  9. That sounds cold dude... Seems you have deeper issues than just the quality of life in ZA.............
  10. yeah, even my issues have issues, and /they/ have hangups.
  11. Bah, Try an infra red one.
    Thanks to a dodgy soldering job, my infra red mouse needed to be hit to work, but it wasn't too bad.
    I <3 my laser mouse though. Too bad I can't change the colour.
  12. Quote:
    Replaced my mouse's generic red LED with a blue one. Due to a blue light wavelength being shorter than red light, the mouse should theoretically have a far higher resolution than normal. And yes, it does.

How does that work, then? Surely it's a combination of the emitter and the sensor? Unless the sensor is tuned to narrower wavelengths in the first place, I guess...
  13. Broad-spectrum CCD sensor, by the looks of it, appears to be standard fare on most optical mice. Works with white LED as well.

From what I can see, the sensor isn't so much concerned with wavelength as with intensity. Putting a diffuse 800MCD LED in won't work. Putting a 2500MCD LED in won't work very well. Putting in a 8500MCD will work incredibly well.

The standard is around 5000~6000MCD I think.

Prime reason why I haven't gone with a laser mouse yet. It must match my case colour scheme (black/silver w/blue highlighting).
Ask a new question

Read More

Light Mice LED Monitor Overclocking Product