how free 600kb conventional Memory in cmd.exe ?

a b } Memory
January 10, 2005 6:49:29 PM

Hallo,

I need 600kB conventional Memory for a certain DOS-Programm, which
changes in the config.nt do have to make?

mem says me 590768 byte is the maximum size for a runable program.

Thanks,

Dominik
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 11, 2005 1:55:52 PM

Dominik Spies <news@spies-it.de> wrote:

>I need 600kB conventional Memory for a certain DOS-Programm, which
>changes in the config.nt do have to make?

See "Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314106).

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Dominik Spies wrote:

>I need 600kB conventional Memory for a certain DOS-Programm, which
>changes in the config.nt do have to make?

For best DOS conventional memory, edit the windows\system32\config.nt
and autoexec.nt files.

In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
EMM = B=4000 RAM
(note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
none next to the second =) and

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
(or higher files= if needed)

and in autoexec.nt have

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
that may already be present at the end.

This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
its .exe file. R-click the shortcut, Properties and on the Memory page
you can set an explicit value - rather than Auto - for any EMM or XMS
memory it may need, and for initial environment space