how free 600kb conventional Memory in cmd.exe ?

Hallo,

I need 600kB conventional Memory for a certain DOS-Programm, which
changes in the config.nt do have to make?

mem says me 590768 byte is the maximum size for a runable program.

Thanks,

Dominik
2 answers Last reply
More about free 600kb conventional memory

    Dominik Spies <news@spies-it.de> wrote:

    >I need 600kB conventional Memory for a certain DOS-Programm, which
    >changes in the config.nt do have to make?

    See "Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314106).

    --
    (tm)

    Dominik Spies wrote:

    >I need 600kB conventional Memory for a certain DOS-Programm, which
    >changes in the config.nt do have to make?

    For best DOS conventional memory, edit the windows\system32\config.nt
    and autoexec.nt files.

    In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
    EMM = B=4000 RAM
    (note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
    none next to the second =) and

    dos=high, umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=40
    (or higher files= if needed)

    and in autoexec.nt have

    REM Install DPMI support
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

    with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
    that may already be present at the end.

    This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
    its .exe file. R-click the shortcut, Properties and on the Memory page
    you can set an explicit value - rather than Auto - for any EMM or XMS
    memory it may need, and for initial environment space

Memory Microsoft Command Prompt Windows XP