Sign in with
Your question

P5N32 SLI SE DELUXE VDROOP issue

Last response: in Motherboards
December 12, 2006 2:20:19 PM

P5N32 SLI SE DELUXE VDROOP issue

Ok so im not entirely sure if this should go in this thread or some power supply thread but im posting here anyway.

i have this problem and i belive its power related, but first let me give you the core specs.
Items marked with * are OCed
Items marked with ** is where i think the problem begins.

MB:p 5N32 SLI SE DELUXE latest BIOS 601
CPU:p entium D805 @3.9GHz-4.0GHz*
RAM:cosair 6400C4 4 4 4 12 5 2 @2.10volts
Video card: Had a evga 7950GT, stepped up to a 8800GTX**
PSU:Thermaltake 650 watt toughpower PSU 52A combined output**

ok so ill begin to describe the issue, with the original card i used to have the sit the proc at about 1.5250 volts not it seemed if i went to the bios HW monitor it only read about 1.50 volts. ok that seems somewhat normal, but the 7950GT if i put full load on the proc and i was in windows using the asus softwear monitor it would go from around 1.49-1.50 To about 1.46 but i seemed to maintain stable operation and my games didnt crash.

so i step up and now when the 8800GTX in i can sit around 1.49 idel, but then if i put the proc at full load it drops to around 1.41 a larger decrease in voltage and my games will crash however windows continues to run., and my throttle doesnt engage however Rightmark CPU sees the clock speed drop. and its not heat. in anycase im thinking about selling my board to a friend for 190$ and upgrading, i was thinking about going with a EVGA 680I. or maybe one of the ASUS 680i chipsets can anyone tell me if im going to have the same problem and that its my psupply or that its a problem with asus mobos. i belive someone said vdroop is bad wtih this board.

please ask me questions if you need to. educate me, i need to know where my issue lies. also im aware that the 8800GTX is overkill for my cpu but i plan on upgrading later, anyway the 805 d was only 99$ so i do not feel like im losing alot by upgrading and i can sell the board and be ready to upgrade my CPU early next year. but untill then i need to get this power situation solved. do i need more stable power? or is it the board?
December 12, 2006 2:56:15 PM

Which drivers are you running? I don't think it is the CPU that is causing the issue, when a CPU crashes because of not enough voltage you usually get a BSOD and a complete freeze.

It very well may still be the PSU not being able to power your 8800GTX when it is at load. Very possible that this is the reason.

In windows voltage monitors are not to be relied upon too heavily.

Is there a higher wattage PSU available for you to try? Or are you comfortable chaining a second PSU to run the 8800?

Try putting the CPU back to stock and unplugging anything unneccesary for normal operation. Run a few games and maybe loop 3dmark0x and see if it crashes. If so, I assume a driver issue and suggest unintalling and running driver cleaner and reinstalling. If it doesn't crash, overclock the CPU again and try it. If it then crashes, I assume a PSU issue.
December 12, 2006 4:56:32 PM

Quote:
Which drivers are you running? I don't think it is the CPU that is causing the issue, when a CPU crashes because of not enough voltage you usually get a BSOD and a complete freeze.

It very well may still be the PSU not being able to power your 8800GTX when it is at load. Very possible that this is the reason.

In windows voltage monitors are not to be relied upon too heavily.

Is there a higher wattage PSU available for you to try? Or are you comfortable chaining a second PSU to run the 8800?

Try putting the CPU back to stock and unplugging anything unneccesary for normal operation. Run a few games and maybe loop 3dmark0x and see if it crashes. If so, I assume a driver issue and suggest unintalling and running driver cleaner and reinstalling. If it doesn't crash, overclock the CPU again and try it. If it then crashes, I assume a PSU issue.

thinking about it i belive your right im not getting enough voltage to my GPU, largely due probably to my OC on my CPU drawing so much power, and ive been told the Voltage monitor is not to be relied upon but since its showing a droop greater than before the 8800GTX i belive its safe to bet that im not providing enough power to my hardware.

i would not have a problem chaing another psu except all my old psus are legacy atx, wait i could use the molex to 6 pin adaptor! theres one more problem though, how do i get the psupply to turn on without it being plugged into a mobo? a second one? or should i go with one of those supplemental 5.25 inch psupply bays? i could just buy one i guess?

but you agree that if i upgrade to a knew mobo in two weeks, probably same problem?
Related resources
December 12, 2006 10:13:01 PM

Flash the BIOS asus forums says the bios undervolts and does not give a true reading.
December 13, 2006 12:54:07 PM

Quote:
Flash the BIOS asus forums says the bios undervolts and does not give a true reading.

i have the 603 bios for this board, which is the latest on their website. with which bios do you speak of? also im almost positive now its a power issue, when i lower the clock speed BF2142 actually loads now. but even at 4.0GHZ i know my card is bottlenecked by the CPU so im just going to sell and upgrade hardware over the next month.

so with which motherboard should i go? EVGA 680i or wait for my local ETAILER OR RETAILER to get an asus 680i chipset?

oh and im just gonna go after a 1000 or 1200 watt PSU so i never have to think about power ever again.
December 14, 2006 3:41:34 PM

ok so last night i got a 400 watt power supply out of an older ATX computer. and it says it provides 144 watts on the 12v rail at 14A so i useed the molex to 6pin connectors and connected them to the 4 different molex rails on the external PSU if that makes a difference im not sure you can see here

when you go to look at the pictures theres a zoom button at the bottom of the pic to see it in full res.

in any case this did seem to help the situation below you will find two screens of my CPU to be at what i belive to be full load and no load.

when you go to look at the pictures theres a zoom button at the bottom of the pic to see it in full res.

So basically you will notice no drops in core speed or throttling(purple) which was happening like crazy before i jumpered an external psu and using that to provide power to the GPU, however at 4.0GHZ i am unable to get through the CPU test in 3D mark where i used to be able to with the old card. so i clocked it down to 3.9 GHZ and this is what i was able to get thru the defaul benchmark in 3dmark

System and CPU Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
DirectX Version 9.0c
Mobo Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Mobo Model P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe AI Lifestyle Gaming Edition - motherboard - ATX - nForce4 SLI X16

AGP Rates (Current/Available) 16x / N/A
CPU Name Intel Pentium D 3900 MHz
CPU String Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
Intel Pentium D 805 / 2.66 GHz processor

Physical / Logical CPUs 1 / 2
MultiCore 2 Processor Cores
HyperThreading N/A
FSB 133 MHz
Memory 2048 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Graphics Card Vendor