Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
I was going to wait a few weeks to start building my new rig, but the Sonata II has a $50 rebate at newegg right now, so I may get that this week.

The PSU is a 450W SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0. Will it handle -

E6400
Abit AB9
2x1GB PC5300 RAM (probably whatever's cheapest with a good brand name when I buy - right now it's Corsair ValueSelect)
x1950 pro (hopefully the Sapphire)
a HD
an optical drive
3 case fans
?

Also, I don't plan on OC'ing, but I may, just a little, just enough to say I did. That's only because everything I've read says that if you don't oc a Conroe, it's a waste. :wink:

Thanks

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, without a problem. The PSU is a good quality just like what they sell separately. Well, i can say this as my experience to install this casing on my friend's PC which has 7800GTX, 4 HDD, 2 DVD rom/rw, and C2D E6600.

G

Sonata's are great quiet case. The PSU is the lowest quality Antec makes but is still a decent one.

You should be fine with this PSU, quick PSU wattage calculation is around 270W. If you want to OC more then mildly and/or throw a 8800/R600 in there it won't enough.

Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I figured that it would be ok for my uses. And by the time I need a better card than the x1950 pro or something faster than a slightly oc'd 6400, another three or four generations of CPU & GPU architecture will have gone by, and it'll be time to build anew. :D

I want the Sonata because it's quiet. My spouse complains that my P160 is way too noisy (though some new case fans may fix that...)

G

Umm, I did not think that system needed that much amperage, those X1900 takes more then I would've thought.

The usual second suggestion is the P150, as quiet as the sonata but a much better PSU. 32Watt on the 12V...

Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Ok, ok I get it. It does look a little dicey, when looking at the amperage.

I have an Antec 500-550W (can't remember exactly) PSU in my A64 rig. I know it's complete overkill for that setup, so I'm going to examine the specs on that, and see if that would be adequate instead, and do a swap.