Sign in with
Your question

One Wierd Video Problem - Help

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2006 3:40:23 PM

I recently finished my first build and of course ran into a problem The parts are as follows:

Asus P5N32-E-SLI
e6600
Psu-Corsair HX620
Corsair 6400C4D
EVGA 8800GTS

When the bulid was complete and powered up it did so with no beep codes but I could get no video on either of two monitors in order to view POST and get into bios. After posting here I received great advice. Based on that advice I bought a PNY 7600GS to test the theory of a bad video card. The 7600GS worked fine so I RMAed the video card assuming it was bad. I was in fact even able to flash the mobo bios and make minor changes in bios.

I received the new 8800GTS yesterday and installed it this AM. On power up I was back to the same problem, i.e., no beep codes and no video. I have tried this card in both slots and have used the power adapter. Nothing works. I am beginning to think the mobo is bad. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

More about : wierd video problem

December 12, 2006 4:48:21 PM

Two things to check (please dont think I think your stupid, but im not a mind reader and i dont know if you have checked this, and you can possibly write everything down in a forum)
Where was I... oh yes...

1. The power to the video card, do you have one plugged in?
2. Is there a spot on the mobo, just above the top PICe slot where you plug in a molex power cable? my mobo is a P5ND2 SLI and it needs this plugged in. (you may have a case fan plugged into it)

Anyway, good luck if that is not the solution.
December 12, 2006 5:46:39 PM

I plugged the power cable straight out of the Corsair HX620 to the 8800. I used the power adapter that came with the 8800 to run it off a molex. There is no connection on the board itself for a power connection that I am aware of and I have read the manual numerous times. The fan on the 8800 spins so it is getting power. It simply will not output video. This makes no sense especially since this is the second 8800. Any other thoughts?
Related resources
December 13, 2006 1:25:47 PM

1. Does your monitor have two inputs on it? DVI and VGA? the 7600 could have been using the VGA and your 8800 will probably be using the DVI? check your monitor is set to the correct in put...

2. Do you know if the computer is going into windows? are your speakers plugged in and do you hear it go into windows? (let it boot for two minutes they try to log in if it has a log on)

3. Different Video cable...

4. If you know what the bios button is, hit that a few times after you turn it on just to see if that does anything.

5. Do you have a different monitor or LCD or Plasma TV to test it with?

Weird.. nothing else i can think of im afraid... Just throwing ideas out there...
December 13, 2006 1:36:24 PM

Quote:
1. Does your monitor have two inputs on it? DVI and VGA? the 7600 could have been using the VGA and your 8800 will probably be using the DVI? check your monitor is set to the correct in put...

2. Do you know if the computer is going into windows? are your speakers plugged in and do you hear it go into windows? (let it boot for two minutes they try to log in if it has a log on)

3. Different Video cable...

4. If you know what the bios button is, hit that a few times after you turn it on just to see if that does anything.

5. Do you have a different monitor or LCD or Plasma TV to test it with?

Weird.. nothing else i can think of im afraid... Just throwing ideas out there...

I have tried the 8800 and the 7600 on 2 different displays, a monitor with only a vga input and a LCD TV with a single DVI input the 8800 worked on neither while the 7600 worked on both.

No OS installed yet.

As above the video cable worked with the 7600.

I do not believe this mobo has a bios button. Maybe it does please enlighten me.

As above I have use 2 different displays both of which worked with the 7600. Any other thoughts?
!