please recommend vidconf software please.....

Hi guys

Sorry if I am repeating a common thread, Ive searched past posts with
not much luck....

Im planning on purchasing a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (Im in USA),
and am planning on my family getting one too (UK)

Hardware wise, from my research this model seems a good bet.

However, I want to make sure we have the best software too. Can you
recommend one with excellent frame rates, and obviously exc
reliabilty?!

Ive noticed CU World and iVisit. To achieve **"live"** perfomances of
frame rate, which would u recommend, and how much better would it be
paying the subscription fee per month? Is there better software out
there? Are these no better than MSNs video conf software?

If it helps, we both have broadband, I use XP, my brother uses win
2000.

I would really appreciate your help

thank you

Lee
6 answers Last reply
More about please recommend vidconf software please

    On 3 Dec 2004 20:01:47 -0800, waxwabbit@altavista.com (waxwabbit)
    wrote:

    >Hi guys
    >
    >Sorry if I am repeating a common thread, Ive searched past posts with
    >not much luck....
    >
    >Im planning on purchasing a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (Im in USA),
    >and am planning on my family getting one too (UK)
    >
    >Hardware wise, from my research this model seems a good bet.
    >
    >However, I want to make sure we have the best software too. Can you
    >recommend one with excellent frame rates, and obviously exc
    >reliabilty?!
    >
    >Ive noticed CU World and iVisit. To achieve **"live"** perfomances of
    >frame rate, which would u recommend, and how much better would it be
    >paying the subscription fee per month? Is there better software out
    >there? Are these no better than MSNs video conf software?
    >
    >If it helps, we both have broadband, I use XP, my brother uses win
    >2000.

    How much "broadband" do you have? If you only have the usual
    250kbps max upload speed, then you will not get "**"live"**
    perfomances of frame rate". These typical speeds will only
    support 3-4 fps of a 320x240 11KB jpg image.

    MSN messenger is simple & works just fine#
    for one on one conferences plus if you actually leave your computers on at
    all times its simple to leave a short typed message on each others desks and
    tell when you're brothers online.
    # provided router/firewall/ports configs ok which mostly they will

    "waxwabbit" <waxwabbit@altavista.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    >
    > Sorry if I am repeating a common thread, Ive searched past posts with
    > not much luck....
    >
    > Im planning on purchasing a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (Im in USA),
    > and am planning on my family getting one too (UK)
    >
    > Hardware wise, from my research this model seems a good bet.
    >
    > However, I want to make sure we have the best software too. Can you
    > recommend one with excellent frame rates, and obviously exc
    > reliabilty?!
    >
    > Ive noticed CU World and iVisit. To achieve **"live"** perfomances of
    > frame rate, which would u recommend, and how much better would it be
    > paying the subscription fee per month? Is there better software out
    > there? Are these no better than MSNs video conf software?
    >
    > If it helps, we both have broadband, I use XP, my brother uses win
    > 2000.
    >
    > I would really appreciate your help
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > Lee

    cheers for your response

    well, if u think i can get a *live* performance thru msn, i wont
    bother paying extra to get the same kind of service!

    good news for my tight brother!

    ty once again

    waxwabbit <waxwabbit@altavista.com> wrote:

    > However, I want to make sure we have the best software too. Can you
    > recommend one with excellent frame rates, and obviously exc
    > reliabilty?!
    >
    > Ive noticed CU World and iVisit. To achieve **"live"** perfomances of
    > frame rate, which would u recommend, and how much better would it be
    > paying the subscription fee per month? Is there better software out
    > there? Are these no better than MSNs video conf software?

    If you have broadband, why not downloading several and trying these
    yourself ? Each one has advantages and drawbacks.

    JPaul.

    --
    /==/==\\-\ Jean-Paul BLANC
    / /--/--//\\ quelque-part (somewhere)
    |/| L |\\\ en (in)
    \/|| = |||\\\ FRANCE
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    http://htn-r90kjwuglp6.ipupdater.com/stormi/stormi.htm
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Just got one of these myself. I think you'll be pleased with the picture
    quality.
    What about Netmeeting? I've yet to try it myself. Any advantages of NM
    over Messenger?

    "waxwabbit" <waxwabbit@altavista.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    >
    > Sorry if I am repeating a common thread, Ive searched past posts with
    > not much luck....
    >
    > Im planning on purchasing a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (Im in USA),
    > and am planning on my family getting one too (UK)
    >
    > Hardware wise, from my research this model seems a good bet.
    >
    > However, I want to make sure we have the best software too. Can you
    > recommend one with excellent frame rates, and obviously exc
    > reliabilty?!
    >
    > Ive noticed CU World and iVisit. To achieve **"live"** perfomances of
    > frame rate, which would u recommend, and how much better would it be
    > paying the subscription fee per month? Is there better software out
    > there? Are these no better than MSNs video conf software?
    >
    > If it helps, we both have broadband, I use XP, my brother uses win
    > 2000.
    >
    > I would really appreciate your help
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > Lee