atmorell

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Hi.

Is there any know issues with the Core 2 platform? Stutter/games not smooth? I have had all sorts of stuttering problems with my AMD X2/NF4 system, and I am getting sick and tired of troubleshooting why games stutter and jitter. Have tried everything - dual core hotfix/optimizer helps but the stutter can't be eleminated completely! Don't get me started.

So thought about upgrading to a Core 2 platform.

UPGRADE:
cpu:Intel Core 2 E6600
motherboard: Asus P5B-delux

Can anyone help me choose memory? (bust buy for overclocking/high end system) prices are in danish kr. (6kr = 1$)
http://www.shg.dk/produkter/list2.asp?katid=7687

I will do a little overclocking - but my main concern is to get a bug free system!

Old parts that I will reuse:
ATI X1900XT
2x200 GB seagate hd.
520watt PSU
Creative X-FI.
etc.

Best regards.
Asbjørn Morell.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have no issues, but then all I'm really playing is WoW. Under Oblivion I run higher than average settings on my E6600 and a Nvidia 7600GT without any issues.

You need to better define stutter... Lag? Low FPS? What speed X2 are you running? What game(s)? What resolutions are you running them at .vs the model video card you have?

Upgrading to a C2D may not be the answer. A good upgrade but with out a little more detailed info on your issues and how you run you games (settings wise) this will be hard to answer...

atmorell

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I have really good fps. 40-60 fps. (capped by vsync) When I strafe in oblivion it looks like some frames are missing. Imagine that you watch a video (60 fps/sec) where frame 40-50 has been completely removed. Movie playback is smooth but screen jumps. I have similar problems like that in allmost all my FPS games. Great fps but gameplay is not smooth. like a small pause every ½ second. Have already changed GFX, Motherboard and Memory. So my conclusion is that it has to be something with the X2 Cpu, Nvidias NF4 chipset design or something else.

I don't care anymore! :( Have lived with this nightmare for about a year now and just want it to go away - even if it cost me 1000$+

CPU AMD X2 3800.
Oblivion 800-600 low sttings.
I play offline doing my toubleshoot.

atmorell

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
well in that case with $1000 get a 680i e6600 and 8800gts :-D :lol: that'll solve ure problems (i think?) :roll:

I don't want to change GFX. Only CPU, motherboard and memory. Don't want Nvidia chipset!

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
well in that case with $1000 get a 680i e6600 and 8800gts :-D :lol: that'll solve ure problems (i think?) :roll:

I don't want to change GFX. Only CPU, motherboard and memory. Don't want Nvidia chipset!

If you're not going to OC get a E6600, a decent C2D board, and 2GB of DDR2-533...that will be more than adequate and you're looking at roughly $500-$600...I'm too lazy atm to price it out... :D

atmorell

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Is the Asus P5B a "C2D" board? If you look at the shopping page what memory should I choose?

regards.
Asbjørn.

Kari

Splendid
how much memory do you have in your current system? Swapping or other intense hdd activity could cause some sort of stuttering. your frames are good though so I'm just quessing here...

edit: could be spyware related aswell..

I have really good fps. 40-60 fps. (capped by vsync) When I strafe in oblivion it looks like some frames are missing. Imagine that you watch a video (60 fps/sec) where frame 40-50 has been completely removed. Movie playback is smooth but screen jumps. I have similar problems like that in allmost all my FPS games. Great fps but gameplay is not smooth. like a small pause every ½ second. Have already changed GFX, Motherboard and Memory. So my conclusion is that it has to be something with the X2 Cpu, Nvidias NF4 chipset design or something else.

I don't care anymore! :( Have lived with this nightmare for about a year now and just want it to go away - even if it cost me 1000$+

CPU AMD X2 3800.
Oblivion 800-600 low sttings.
I play offline doing my toubleshoot.
That sounds like a power supply issue. I've had the same issue and swapped out the PSU and everything runs great now.

atmorell

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
have already changed my powersupply.
current. 520watt Chill.
memory G.Skill 2Gb PC4000.

stuttering is also there at very low res/details.

have already changed my powersupply.
current. 520watt Chill.
memory G.Skill 2Gb PC4000.

stuttering is also there at very low res/details.
When playing games do you seem to move during the Stutter? Like you have jumped to were you should be after the stutter. If so this could be a GPU problem. Of course the best way to find the problem is change your hardware in and out of systems you know to work. Test it with an old GPU. If that doesnt work replace your GPU and then test your HD's in the same way. worse comes to worse you may have a bad motherboard.

atmorell

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Elbert.
Thank you for your response.

Yes I move when stutter occurs, it fells like 10 frames has been skipped every second. FRAPS displays a constant of 60 frames. Just installed my new motherboard, cpu and memory:

Core 2 E6600
Corsair DDR800
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

This is what I have reused from my old computer:
Sapphire X1900XT
Chill 520Watt PSA
Logitech usb (cable) mouse and keyboard.
Xerox 19 LCD monitor.

Problem is still there!  I will try my GFX in another computer. It must be my GFX that is faulty!.

Best regards.
Asbjørn Morell.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Interestingly enough, it sounds similar to a problem I have. I have a C2D 6300, 7900GTX, 600w PSU, 2 gigs OCZ RAM, etc, etc.

I play FPS games mostly. Call of Duty 2 would "stutter", but so would 3DMark too! So I ruled out it being game-dependent. My stutter wasn't like a lag jump. It was more like a "stutter"......I'd be running around, then every 4 seconds it would stutter like the framerate dropped considerably. Weird thing though was that it happened at very precise intervals. AND my 3DMark score didn't appear to suffer. That's the weird thing....the regularity of the stutter has me stumped. It's obviously not some random thing.

I swapped my vid card to another system. No stutter.
Tried different PSU, still stuttered.
Tried NV Control Panel, still stuttered.
Tried changing paging file, no luck.
Tried changing CPU affinity, no luck.
Tried everything I could think of, still stutters.

For a workaround, I've simply capped my framerate at 70 fps and it has made the stutter no longer noticeable. It's not gone, but I don't really notice it anymore.

I posted in these forums but no ideas. But since my card worked fine in another system, it HAS TO BE something in my system. Either a hardware issue (but I've not had any that I know of) or a driver/setup issue (which I don't know about).

I'm stumped too. Shall we commiserate together? :(

I'll watch this thread carefully to see if anyone has any ideas/success for either of these issues......they sound similar. Although, I've proven it's not my vid card since I've even tried a different vid card and it still stutters. I'm lost on that one.

Interestingly enough, it sounds similar to a problem I have. I have a C2D 6300, 7900GTX, 600w PSU, 2 gigs OCZ RAM, etc, etc.

I play FPS games mostly. Call of Duty 2 would "stutter", but so would 3DMark too! So I ruled out it being game-dependent. My stutter wasn't like a lag jump. It was more like a "stutter"......I'd be running around, then every 4 seconds it would stutter like the framerate dropped considerably. Weird thing though was that it happened at very precise intervals. AND my 3DMark score didn't appear to suffer. That's the weird thing....the regularity of the stutter has me stumped. It's obviously not some random thing.

I swapped my vid card to another system. No stutter.
Tried different PSU, still stuttered.
Tried NV Control Panel, still stuttered.
Tried changing paging file, no luck.
Tried changing CPU affinity, no luck.
Tried everything I could think of, still stutters.

For a workaround, I've simply capped my framerate at 70 fps and it has made the stutter no longer noticeable. It's not gone, but I don't really notice it anymore.

I posted in these forums but no ideas. But since my card worked fine in another system, it HAS TO BE something in my system. Either a hardware issue (but I've not had any that I know of) or a driver/setup issue (which I don't know about).

I'm stumped too. Shall we commiserate together? :(

I'll watch this thread carefully to see if anyone has any ideas/success for either of these issues......they sound similar. Although, I've proven it's not my vid card since I've even tried a different vid card and it still stutters. I'm lost on that one.
You really have to test every part. Try your memory in another system. It can cost you the price of a new motherboard just to find its your CPU. Once youve tryed all your part and the problem doesnt move the other system it will come down to your motherboard or CPU. Check for bios updates for your motherboard can sometimes help. This can be caused by almost any part or software for that matter. Adware, maleware, and viruses can all cause your system act in this way. Be aware that any addons for games as out of date addons can impact performance. Your viruses checker may be a resource hog so turn those things off while testing.

Elbert.
Thank you for your response.

Yes I move when stutter occurs, it fells like 10 frames has been skipped every second. FRAPS displays a constant of 60 frames. Just installed my new motherboard, cpu and memory:

Core 2 E6600
Corsair DDR800
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

This is what I have reused from my old computer:
Sapphire X1900XT
Chill 520Watt PSA
Logitech usb (cable) mouse and keyboard.
Xerox 19 LCD monitor.

Problem is still there!  I will try my GFX in another computer. It must be my GFX that is faulty!.

Best regards.
Asbjørn Morell.
I dont see the last two cause your problem but they arent outside the realm of impossible. Your screen could be malfuctioning or your keyboard and mouse drivers could be incompatable with other software you have. I would suggest testing your PSU also as PSU's are more often the cause of freezing and stuttering.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well, it's a brand new hard drive, fresh install, no adware, no spyware, completely swept clean just in case, background processes turned off, different vid card, BIOS updated, CPU not overclocked, different hard drive again, and so forth.

Unless there's a driver conflict (reinstalled those too), or some obscure paging file or read/write issue, then I'd look to the remaining hardware. Unfortunately I don't have other DDR2 RAM laying around. No spare CPU laying around either. But I can swap the PSU no problem and try.

I've also checked temps, volts, CPU usage, Prime95 stresstest, MemTest 86, driver settings, new monitor, new hard drive, BIOS settings, new OS install, new game install.......I'm out of ideas other than trying to swap some hardware. I just don't have a spare CPU or DDR2.....with my luck it's probably that though.

I'm planning on getting an 8800GTS and a Seasonic Energy 650w after Christmas anyways......so I'll see if those make a difference.

It did. Picked up a e6600 and GTS and can play oblivion @ 1680x1050 on max settings with NO noticable lag, stutter, or what not. I play windowed mode so I can browse the internet and watch movies too. This does not affect performance.

Good luck

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Damn I hope it solves my problems too LOL.

Except I'm not replacing my CPU or mobo. But the 8800GTS should chew through just about anything I throw at it (I don't play Oblivion), and @ 1680 rez as well.

*here's hoping*

Well, it's a brand new hard drive, fresh install, no adware, no spyware, completely swept clean just in case, background processes turned off, different vid card, BIOS updated, CPU not overclocked, different hard drive again, and so forth.

Unless there's a driver conflict (reinstalled those too), or some obscure paging file or read/write issue, then I'd look to the remaining hardware. Unfortunately I don't have other DDR2 RAM laying around. No spare CPU laying around either. But I can swap the PSU no problem and try.

I've also checked temps, volts, CPU usage, Prime95 stresstest, MemTest 86, driver settings, new monitor, new hard drive, BIOS settings, new OS install, new game install.......I'm out of ideas other than trying to swap some hardware. I just don't have a spare CPU or DDR2.....with my luck it's probably that though.

I'm planning on getting an 8800GTS and a Seasonic Energy 650w after Christmas anyways......so I'll see if those make a difference.
Make sure you updated your bios as theirs a number of issues/bios changes on your motherboard. If none of your hardware you have tested causes the problem to go away and its left with your CPU, motherboard, and RAM I would suggest changing your motherboard due to its the cheaper in most cases of the 3.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2321&ProductName=GA-965P-S3
Then again you have OCed your system so move it back to normal settings and if that clears up your stuttering then your have an OC problem which IMO would be motherboard related.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ya, I have the BIOS updated to current.

I also clocked my CPU back to all stock settings, volts, RAM timings, etc just to be sure.

Nada.

Well, all that's left on the hardware front is PSU, RAM, and mobo really. I'll be trying the PSU soon. Might swap the mobo but that's such a pain in the @$$. CRAP.

I'll see if the 8800GTS and PSU makes a difference and then go from there. Thanks for the ideas.

Ya, I have the BIOS updated to current.

I also clocked my CPU back to all stock settings, volts, RAM timings, etc just to be sure.

Nada.

Well, all that's left on the hardware front is PSU, RAM, and mobo really. I'll be trying the PSU soon. Might swap the mobo but that's such a pain in the @$$. CRAP.

I'll see if the 8800GTS and PSU makes a difference and then go from there. Thanks for the ideas.
Looks like you have the problem nailed down. Good luck on the new GPU or PSU fixing the problem.