Sign in with
Your question

Did I really blow out an Enermax Galaxy 1000 watt PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 12, 2006 5:32:02 PM

Two days ago, my computer stopped working. No power, no nothing. I check the PSU with a PSU tester and it won't post, just clicks horribly.

This is what I had hooked up to it:

Sata HDD x4
Opteron 250 x2
DRR 400 1 gig x4
Optical Drive x2
ICM 505 liquid cooling system x2 (the PSU runs the pump and the 120 mm fan)
Case fan x7
PCI slot
SuperMicro H8DCE mobo (supposedly requires 645 watts minimum)
Radeon x1900xtx video card x1
Raid card x1

This all ran fine for 3 months, then I added a cold cathode ray and ran it for about a week straight, then the PSU died.

Was that the stick that broke the camels back? I highly doubt I am pushing this psu to 1000 watts.

Egghead RMA'd me a new one (which I have yet to recieve since I haven't sent the broken one back yet). I will probably skip on plugging int the cold cathode ray.
December 12, 2006 6:01:20 PM

good lord why do u need so much firepower. it isnt for games i guess considering you have all that power and only one mid level video card
December 12, 2006 6:34:35 PM

I don't think the cold cathode pushed it over the edge. Probably just died and was a coincidence. RMA it and hope to get a better one next time.

I added all your stuff up with two different PSU calculators and got 534watts and 549watts. Even at 75% efficiency you should still have enough power by a long way.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 12, 2006 7:00:28 PM

just bad luck,
the PSU shouldn't have a problem
December 12, 2006 7:04:13 PM

Quote:
it isnt for games i guess considering you have all that power and only one mid level video card

Since when has 1900XTX been 'mid-level'?

Anyway, I think either it's a harsh coincidence or your cathode had something wrong with it. Have you tested it with another PSU (although to be honest I wouldn't - if it took out that one then you don't really want to risk another).
December 12, 2006 8:27:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think the cold cathode pushed it over the edge. Probably just died and was a coincidence. RMA it and hope to get a better one next time.

I added all your stuff up with two different PSU calculators and got 534watts and 549watts. Even at 75% efficiency you should still have enough power by a long way.

I can't totally go buy PSU calcs since the mobo requires 645 watts. I am not sure why, but I blew a 620 watt psu with this set up ( fewer HDDs, 1 optical drive, x1900xtx and fewer fans + the cooling systems).

I'm thinking upwards of 750+ b/c of the mobo's requirements.

Quote:

it isnt for games i guess considering you have all that power and only one mid level video card

When I purchased the card, the x1900xtx was the 2nd best out ( the 7950GX2 or whatever that card was was released at the time). Now the x1950xtx and 8800s are out, but x1900xtx is more than enough for just about any game. I get 60 FPS with quake 4 on full settings.

I'm thinking that I won't use the cold cathode ray tube anymore and just hope nothing else was fried ( I don't have any other PSUs over 600 watts lying around, so I'm stuck for now).

I was considering adding more HDDs (the box says it can support 4 cpus, 4 gpus, and 24 hdds, but with my mobo, i doubt it). I'm thinking of adding more HDDs in the future to it as a server, but thats another story.

Thanks guys. As long as it was a bad psu, I'll be happy. I don't feel like paying for anymore hardware.
December 12, 2006 10:32:21 PM

Good luck with it. You can always run dual PSUs being that you apparently have a large case.
December 13, 2006 1:00:22 AM

I ran the numbers through a power supply calculator, and added a healthy overclock since you mentioned two water cooling pumps, and still barely managed to break 700W.

On the other hand, repeated surge currents from trying to simultaneously light up four drives could have taken some toll, and you need to check the amperage ratings rail by rail, not just the total wattage. Or maybe you just got a borderline power supply and the pretty lights were the last straw.

One thing I would mention, is if your HD controller has an option to spin up the drives in sequence, do go for it. The extra minute or so it takes from a cold boot is well worth it.

-Brad
December 13, 2006 5:11:50 PM

Quote:
I ran the numbers through a power supply calculator, and added a healthy overclock since you mentioned two water cooling pumps, and still barely managed to break 700W.

On the other hand, repeated surge currents from trying to simultaneously light up four drives could have taken some toll, and you need to check the amperage ratings rail by rail, not just the total wattage. Or maybe you just got a borderline power supply and the pretty lights were the last straw.

One thing I would mention, is if your HD controller has an option to spin up the drives in sequence, do go for it. The extra minute or so it takes from a cold boot is well worth it.

-Brad

Either I am hard headed or there's a break in the communication. I went to supermicro's site and looked up the mobo:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nFo...

It states:

Quote:
Important Chassis Notes To ensure system stability, a 645W (minimum) ATX power supply
[4-pin (+12V), 8-pin (+12V) and 24-pin are required]

If this board requires 645 ( I know 620 won't even boot ), then how does 700 make sense? I think the calculators don't take into account for server class motherboards.

Interestingly, I am not overclocking ( no decent bios options to allow me to do so). I got the coolers for free, so I installed them.

1 Drive runs windows, while 2 on a raid hold most of my stored data files (music, movies, .exe files). the 4th is just another back up drive. At most 3 are going at once, never 4.

I just don't trust the calculators for this application. On the other hand, I doubt I'm pushing the PSU past its limits. That doesn't seem possibly with my set up.

These are the Enermax galaxy's stats are:

Quote:
VOLTAGE
12V1 12V2 12V3 12V4 12V5 3.3V 5V -12V +5Vsb TOTAL
STAND BY
0A 0A 0A 0A 0A 0A 0A 0A 0.1A 0.5W
MIN SINGLE 1A 1A 0.9A 1A 0A 0.5A 0.5A 0A 0.1A

53.6W
MIN COMBO L1

2A / 24W
1.9A / 22.8W
4.25W
2.5W

MIN COMBO L2
3.9A / 46.8W
- -

MAX SINGLE
17A 17A 17A 17A 17A 30A 30A 0.6A 6A

1000W
MAX COMBO L1

34A / 408W
41A / 492W
200W 37.2W

MAX COMBO L2
75A / 900W
- -

PEAK POWER OUTPUT
1100W

Here's the site: http://www.pro-clockers.com/reviews.php?id=153&page=3

Maybe you guys can do the math. I don't really understand the amperage issue with it since adding that cold cathode ray didn't pull amperage (it was neglegible).

I'm more confused than anything. I've never had trouble with enermax in the past.
December 13, 2006 6:29:02 PM

Quote:

Either I am hard headed or there's a break in the communication. I went to supermicro's site and looked up the mobo:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nFo...

It states:

Important Chassis Notes To ensure system stability, a 645W (minimum) ATX power supply
[4-pin (+12V), 8-pin (+12V) and 24-pin are required]

If this board requires 645 ( I know 620 won't even boot ), then how does 700 make sense? I think the calculators don't take into account for server class motherboards.

Maybe you guys can do the math. I don't really understand the amperage issue with it since adding that cold cathode ray didn't pull amperage (it was neglegible).

I'm more confused than anything. I've never had trouble with enermax in the past.

That is one hungry board! I think most of us are used to boards that use way less power.

That said, the former psu probably just had a bad day. It may have been on its way out or operating at less than spec when you plugged in the cathode ray tube. The straw that broke the camel's back and all that. Unless the cathode ray tube had a short in it, it shouldn't have caused enough load difference to cause damage. I would either RMA it or give it a toss to be on the safe side.

I'd put in the new Enermax Galaxy 1000wt and get on with life.
December 13, 2006 6:42:56 PM

Before going too crazy I'll state again, I think you were just lucky enough to get a bad or under-spec PSU. Just because you've never had a problem with that brand does not mean they are 100% reliable.

Quote:
Important Chassis Notes To ensure system stability, a 645W (minimum) ATX power supply [4-pin (+12V), 8-pin (+12V) and 24-pin are required]

The board itself does not draw 645 Watts. That number includes what the board engineers think will be a baseline current drain with maximum processor power per socket, all PCI slots loaded, all RAM slots loaded, etc.

Quote:
At most 3 are going at once, never 4.

At cold boot times the drives will by default all turn on instantly, which is a substantial current surge at that time.

Quote:
These are the Enermax galaxy's stats are:

Add up the amperage ratings for each device on each rail.

Yeah, that's the fun part.

-Brad
December 13, 2006 10:54:24 PM

A problem with many of the Dual Opteron boards is that they draw an insane amount of current at power on. I've done some research into the Tyan Thunder K8WE, which is the most popular Dual-Opty board, and found out that it has a bad habbit of blowing out power supplies at power-on due to the current it pulls.

It's possible that this problem also exists with the H8DCE, since the boards seem very similar. I'd suggest you contact SuperMicro's tech support and find a PSU that SuperMicro recommends for the board.
!