MiRai

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Now that I'm in the correct forum...

I just picked up an FX-60 for my computer and I was wondering if there are any better air cooling solutions than the AMD fan that I should be looking at? There are a ton of fans I can choose from for a socket 939 platform from but I'm asking if anyone has any real life experience with third party cooling fans. You know...which ones are good and which ones should I stay away from? I also have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe so I can't use anything too huge that might interfere with the heat pipe. Thanks!

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Well there are quite a few good heatsinks out there for the Socket 939 cpu's and mobo's. What I am wondering is how much room do you have above (if the mobo were to be sitting flat as if on a table) the CPU. If you have enough room to mount something similar to the Zalman 9700. This it a tall boy but works pretty well. Or you could get a Thermaltake MiniTyp 90 or something similar. All should work quite nicely for you.

-ouch1

MiRai

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Well, I will be switching cases to a Thermaltake Armor and I'm guessing I'll have plenty of room between the mobo and the side panel. I'll check out those fans you said later when I'm off of work. Thanks for the input.

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
also, the scythe ninja is a very high performing alternative if you are looking to keep it cheap. i think you can get a ninja with shipping for under 40$ if you shop at newegg, zipzoomfly, etc...

i have one with my asus a8n-sli premium (they are pretty similar) and it does not interfere with the heatpipe. it is a huge heatsink though, check the depth of your case to make sure it fits.

MiRai

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks for the input guys. I like what I see....now I have some homework to do on these coolers 8)