e6400 is oddly hot

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have an e6400 Core 2 Duo with a scythe infinity cooler and a Gigabyte DS3 mobo. I have applied and reapplied my arctic silver, doing exactly what the manual says and put a straight line down the middle. Then I place my scythe on and turn it. I turn on my comp and my temps usually are 40-45 idle. Under TAT 100% load they are anywhere from 55-65. Prime 95 is usually a little lower. I have tried things including pushing my cooler up because I know how this specific cooler could sag and reduce the cooling capabilities. I HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHY MY TEMPS ARE SO HIGH! I also throughly clean my cpu and cooler with alcohol before I reapply my arctic silver. I assumed that after going through 1 3/4 tubes of arctic silver I would apply my arctic silver right so I don't think that that could be the reason. Or am I reading my temps wrong? At this very second TAT reads my temp at 47 degrees, core temp reads 46, and speed fan reads it as either 39 or 35 degrees (I never managed to figure out which temp is my cpu and which is my ambient temp. I'd be eternally grateful for any suggestions or information someone could give me. :D

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Those temps do not seem that bad. But when using Arctic silver, it is best to use a pea size amount in the center of the cpu and let the cooler spread it out once it is attached. My temps are usually around 50 under Prime 95 and I am clocked @ 3.2 GHZ. I am using this cooler: Link

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I tried what you said, maybe I did it wrong because my load temps with prime 95 are 60+ degrees. But then I tried something interesting. I opened my case, dropping my temp about 5 degrees, turned it on its side which might have lowered it a degree or two, then I applied pressure to my cooler which dropped it about a dozen degrees. My temps with prime 95 ended up being about 45-47 degrees, almost 20 degrees below my temps without any changes made by me. Is this something that happens to everyone?

lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
dude leave it alone...doing toooooooooo much work!!!!!!1

look in ur bios for the temp!!!!!

THE SPEED FAN TEMP IS THE FIRST TEMPP...its right!! i matched it up to the bios one(easy tune 5 on my gigabyte ds3 so iam possitive the bios read the same)

u deff wasted some artic there....waita go....

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Those temps with TAT aren't much different than mine with an AF 7. I checked the bios and the temps are about 10C lower than TAT shows. I also used the manufacturer's recommended method for application of AS5.

I think I would tend to go with the bios since the MB maker would need to do some work with the CPU while a third party software does not (especially since the bios will determine whether or not to throttle back the voltage to the chip). If the MB maker gets it wrong a lot of CPU's could be damaged and that looks bad on the CPU manufacturer. So I would check your bios and see what they are and then use whatever program gives you the closest result (in my case Speedfan).

The fact that your temps change a lot with pressure suggests that the fan is not well connected to your hs. I've not tried that though so I can't comment if it is normal for everyone.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
then I applied pressure to my cooler which dropped it about a dozen degrees.

Pushng on the CPU cooler should positively NOT make any difference in the temperature!! The four-sided spring-load pressure mount gives a much more controlled and even pressure than anything that could be applied by hand. And yes I have tried this myself on an Arctic Cooling Pro 7 and an HR-01. Your heatsink clips are not snapped in properly.

Opening the case will LOWER the temperature if the internal cross-flow is inadequate; opening the case will RAISE the CPU temperature if internal air circulation is working PROPERLY, since a closed case in the latter circumstance acts as an air duct, pulling the air past the CPU.

Overclocked, on Coretemp, you should be getting 34 C/58 C, approximately.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
For me, according to EasyTune my cpu temp is 28 degrees and that is my second temp in Speedfan v. 4.31.
Pushng on the CPU cooler should positively NOT make any difference in the temperature!! Opening the case will LOWER the temperature if the internal cross-flow is inadequate; opening the case will RAISE the CPU temperature if internal air circulation is working PROPERLY, since a closed case in the latter circumstance acts as an air duct, pulling the air past the CPU.

But what do you know, it does. All I do is press down until I hear a click, then I move on to the next pin thing. Also I have read that there is a problem with th type of pin mount that intel uses and doesn't use enough pressure, making thermal conductivity less or something like that. Also how would I improve my airflow? I have a Lian-li 65 case and it is mostly uncluttered for me. I have one hard drive in front of my intake fans and a fan on top with nothing blocking it for the most part except for a few wires that I couldn't push away because the fan is very close to my psu. I actually shoved the bulk of my wires right below my dvd drive. I think it is an OK setup and can't think of a way to make it better.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
If pressing on the cooler lowers the temp by a dozen degrees then that points to the problem. Think about it, would a commercial cooling solution be so ineffective that SO much improvement could occur over Design characteristics just by "fiddling?" You may have heard the click, but is the bushing of the nylon clamp hard against the motherboard? The click may in fact only have the pin halfway through the motherboard hole. Also this variation can occur if virtually no thermal compound is between the heat sink and CPU.

Room temperature and fan settings will affect CPU idle temperatures. My room is warm and the fans set to "quiet" at idle, thus the idle temp 0f 38 is normal for me.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
For me, according to EasyTune my cpu temp is 28 degrees and that is my second temp in Speedfan v. 4.31.
Pushng on the CPU cooler should positively NOT make any difference in the temperature!! Opening the case will LOWER the temperature if the internal cross-flow is inadequate; opening the case will RAISE the CPU temperature if internal air circulation is working PROPERLY, since a closed case in the latter circumstance acts as an air duct, pulling the air past the CPU.

But what do you know, it does. All I do is press down until I hear a click, then I move on to the next pin thing. Also I have read that there is a problem with th type of pin mount that intel uses and doesn't use enough pressure, making thermal conductivity less or something like that. Also how would I improve my airflow? I have a Lian-li 65 case and it is mostly uncluttered for me. I have one hard drive in front of my intake fans and a fan on top with nothing blocking it for the most part except for a few wires that I couldn't push away because the fan is very close to my psu. I actually shoved the bulk of my wires right below my dvd drive. I think it is an OK setup and can't think of a way to make it better.

Ok im going to make this very easy for you. Lay the pc on its side with the heatsink pointing strait up. If temps drop your heatsink isnt making proper contact. 99% of these "my c2d is on fire" threads are solved by this method.

Have you overclocked?
Did you manually set your cpu voltage?