q about DS3 should i use GSATA or SATA?

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
at the moment, i have 1 sata2 hard drive, and it's using the GSATA port and seems to be working fine. However one thing i noticed is that there is a safely remove hardware icon which has the hard drive listed, not that its a problem. Also the hard drive light on my case seems to flash every second or so, but the flash is very subtle and hard to detect unless you know its there. So my question is this, Should i be using the normal SATA ports? there is 4 or so on this mobo, but it also has the "special" GSATA ports which i thought would be best as it uses an onboard chip instead of the normal southbridge or something like that.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
at the moment, i have 1 sata2 hard drive, and it's using the GSATA port and seems to be working fine. However one thing i noticed is that there is a safely remove hardware icon which has the hard drive listed, not that its a problem. Also the hard drive light on my case seems to flash every second or so, but the flash is very subtle and hard to detect unless you know its there. So my question is this, Should i be using the normal SATA ports? there is 4 or so on this mobo, but it also has the "special" GSATA ports which i thought would be best as it uses an onboard chip instead of the normal southbridge or something like that.

Are you using an nvidia chipset? The SRH icon is normal, as is the subtle HDD flashing light with that chipset. I don't know what GSATA is, never heard of it. Are you sure you don't mean eSATA? eSATA is a port for an external SATA drive.

-Bob

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I think he's referring to the 2 Gigabyte SATA ports on that motherboard. There shouldn't be any real difference between them and the chipset's ports, except the 2 Gigabyte ports are capable of RAID - the others aren't. If you're not using RAID, it doesn't matter which ports you use.

TRENDING THREADS