Antec NEO 480 Upgrade

Viking396

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I'm at work trying to decide if I should upgrade my NEO 480. I'm rebuilding my system with what's listed in my signature. The 480 should be plenty for this rig but I am contemplating returning the GTS in favor of the GTX which requires a pretty stout PSU.

Not really needed if I get one, but if I get two, which I may do in in a month or two then it's going to be time for a monster.

Decisions decisions, which one to buy..... thinking 750 to 1K

Viking396

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Your Antec neo has plenty of power for which ever card you decide to go with. No need to replace it. If you do get 2 cards and go SLI then you will need a PSU that can supply no less then 52A on the +12v rails. The PC P&C that Labby linked to will be great. The only problem is it only has a single PCI-e connectopr. So you will need 3 adabter cables to get the other 3 PCI-e connectors needed. each adabter uses 2 molex connectors. SO it may be best to find another PSU that actually provides 4 PCI-e connectors. Check nvidias compatibility list for the 8800s. They will list good PSU that have plenty of power and connectors for SLIed 8800s.

Agreed, which is why I said there was no need with the current plans. It's amazing whats needed to run the GTX which is why I went with the GTS for now. Now that I think about it, saving 150 bucks makes it worthwhile to stay the course and not go GTX or even SLI GTX, I may just go SLI GTS.

Thanks for the input!

Viking396

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I received the XFX 8800 GTS today and completed the system. Just for giggles I ran 3Dmark 2001SE and got 49051.

SandraXI netted 26091, Sandra2005 netted 34811 but this isn't unusual for Conroe and Sandra.

I'm playing Quake 4, patched to 1.3 with both CPU's enabled at 1680x900 resolution (maxed out) with 8x and high quality. All I can say is wow!

Anyway, back to the PSU, it's holding up great and the XFX 8800 GTS is quiet even under full load, well, as close as I've gotten it to full load anyway.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
You should make one final post for all those saying you need a 1kw psu to run the 8800 series cards. Your experience with your 480 neopower might get people to stop recommending that other people spend more than necessary on a psu.

wes

Viking396

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
You should make one final post for all those saying you need a 1kw psu to run the 8800 series cards. Your experience with your 480 neopower might get people to stop recommending that other people spend more than necessary on a psu.

wes

Excellent point, for the 8800 GTS the NEO 480 is more than ample considering the other parts listed. It ran PIE for the entire night, the CPU temps got a bit higher than I would like but the video card was rock solid. To stress the video card I played Quake 4 most of the night and it ran fine, the system is still running Sandra XI's burn in scripts all day until I get home.

If that doesn't say the system is stable then I'm not sure what will. If I do go SLI it may be time to change from the SilverStone and it will also be time for a new PSU.

G

err, about the PCIe, I thought it was the same unit as this:
PC p&C 750 silencer QUAD

I am somewhat puzzled...
1 x Main connector (24-pin)
1 x 12V (4-pin)
1 x 12V(8-pin)
8 x peripheral (4-pin)
6 x SATA
1 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

From the specs from newegg still though there was 4 of them