newbie to the wireless game...range problems

marlborored_99

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I need to know where to start...I just need to cover about 500 to 600 feet. Problem is I understand going through walls reduces signal/ I am wanting to go from my house to doughters house about 500 ft away. Her desktop computer sits in the middle of her house(mine is on the end facing her house). So I figure I have to go out my window, then 500 ft. away then through 2 walls to get the signal to her. Where should I start ? I am on a strict budget. I need to know what router, pc cards, etc. would I need. Never worked with wireless before. Please help...Thank You :p

marlborored_99

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I have 2 computers set up on my side. Will have to switch router, it is wired only. what router should I buy? I need a parts break down..thanks

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You will have to set up the AP to work as a Bridge. The AP/bridge will connect into your existing router.

As far as parts. You need 2 AP which supports Bridging or bridge only. Even when you get it setup, you may have to add amp.

DO YOU HAVE LINE OF SITE TO HER HOUSE.
If not you will have a major problem.

There was an earlier post with user do the same setup. You may want to contact that user and find what hw he used.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
USR5450 is what I have and works good. USR also makes equipment for outside service. Linksys has somne too. It is recomended to have the coax cable as short as posiable, max 9' is waht USR told me when I was looking at to a bridge between buildings.

USR has a 125g, Linksys is 108g.

The antennas are the most important part in getting the best performace.