AMD Athlon X2 4200+ @2.6-2.7?

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I have an AMD Athlon X2 at 2.2, which really seems like a waste because the chip can go to2.4 and 2.6 with no problems, but my motherboard seems unable to handel it... raised the values for RAM delays and it is at DDR2 567 @ 218 CPU Frequency... Even though it is Corsair ValueRAM I think this should be fine with it... I get a BSOD about a minute after overclocking, and I think it has something to do with CPU voltage dipping down... CPU-Z tells me it fluctuates between 1.216 and 1.232, and occasionally going down to 1.184 and 1.200. The problem is, my mobo is the POS M2npv-Vm, and it cannot adjust voltage... What should I do?

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I've pulled RAM timings as low as they go, and I'm getting more time before crashing... Right now I'm at 2.387, and at 217MHZ CPU Freq, near the edge... But programs are crashing, and I think Windows will give soon.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i think the problem is... to have it at 2.4GHz, youll need set the cpu voltage to ~1.375v - 1.4v... ...for 2.6GHz, you should raise it up another .25mv - .5mv... dont go any higher than 1.5v though either way

if you dont have a high enough voltage, programs might crash, system might freeze or might restart at random, etc

if you have too much voltage, your system might freeze, and your cpu has a greater chance of frying, etc

it does sound like your motherboard isnt suppying enough voltage to the cpu, a better motherboard would be most likely needed if you want to OC your cpu by much more than what you already have... memory/psu help also, but beyond that

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I have an AMD Athlon X2 at 2.2, which really seems like a waste because the chip can go to2.4 and 2.6 with no problems, but my motherboard seems unable to handel it... raised the values for RAM delays and it is at DDR2 567 @ 218 CPU Frequency... Even though it is Corsair ValueRAM I think this should be fine with it... I get a BSOD about a minute after overclocking, and I think it has something to do with CPU voltage dipping down... CPU-Z tells me it fluctuates between 1.216 and 1.232, and occasionally going down to 1.184 and 1.200. The problem is, my mobo is the POS M2npv-Vm, and it cannot adjust voltage... What should I do?
I've had that MB, it's a mATX.

It's a good one but not realy made for OC. No VCore adjustment, just FSB and ram voltage up from 1.8 to 1.9v, if I remember correctly.

That dip in VCore sounds more like PSU problem as MB voltage regulators should perform better than that.

Now if you want a MB that is a mATX with Vcore adjustment, you might have to go - wait for it, :oops: Intel C2D.

ASUS produce a good one.

It's a P5B-VM. More expensive but VCore comes at a price.

Check it out at ASUS website :)

I don't know of any AM2 mATX MB that have Vcore adjustment.