Sign in with
Your question

Replacing eMachines WXPH Celeron Motherboards - in Volume.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 12, 2006 10:04:11 PM

Replacement for eMachines motherboards needed.
Many of you on this forum know that there are 23 models of eMachines with very high failure numbers for the motherboards. Usually, but not always, they have used Tri-Gem, Intel, or MSI boards... I do not know of a company that has higher failure rates. The motherboard goes dead just after the warranty expires... about a year or two after purchase. These are primarily Celeron Machines from 1.5 to 3.0 GHz.
We have avoided getting into them, but our client base has purchased so many from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, and other discount stores, that we feel we must give our customers service. The eMachine Board is $159 to $210 from eMachines, and you need their board to use the Tattoo for the eMachine recovery disc set. We don't want to add to the eMachine bottom line when they have done such a lousy job of supplying quality components already. We know that eMachines knows they are selling high failure boards.
We are hoping we can find a rugged Celeron board that sells cheaply enough that we can use an OEM version of Windows. We hope some on this forum have some recommendations on good, basic Celeron boards. These boards do NOT have an AGP Slot... so it would be best to get a replacement that has three PCI slots, Integrated NIC, and Integrated video. (If anybody needs eMachine model numbers we can give you at least 14 frequently failing units and another 9 that don't fail quite so frequently.
Usually the power supply is good. Despite what people think, it is not the power supply that fails but the motherboard. The Celeron processors remain good. Memory is DDR 266 on up to DDR 533 in most cases.
We can make a reliable word processing and email machine repair if we can find boards in volume.
We simply do not have techs here that have been building any low end WXP machines, so we don't know what is good and has long term reliability. We would like to continue using the other eMachines components... to save money for our clients.
Your ideas, please.
December 12, 2006 10:33:22 PM

Quote:
Replacement for eMachines motherboards needed.
Many of you on this forum know that there are 23 models of eMachines with very high failure numbers for the motherboards. Usually, but not always, they have used Tri-Gem, Intel, or MSI boards... I do not know of a company that has higher failure rates. The motherboard goes dead just after the warranty expires... about a year or two after purchase. These are primarily Celeron Machines from 1.5 to 3.0 GHz.
We have avoided getting into them, but our client base has purchased so many from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, and other discount stores, that we feel we must give our customers service. The eMachine Board is $159 to $210 from eMachines, and you need their board to use the Tattoo for the eMachine recovery disc set. We don't want to add to the eMachine bottom line when they have done such a lousy job of supplying quality components already. We know that eMachines knows they are selling high failure boards.
We are hoping we can find a rugged Celeron board that sells cheaply enough that we can use an OEM version of Windows. We hope some on this forum have some recommendations on good, basic Celeron boards. These boards do NOT have an AGP Slot... so it would be best to get a replacement that has three PCI slots, Integrated NIC, and Integrated video. (If anybody needs eMachine model numbers we can give you at least 14 frequently failing units and another 9 that don't fail quite so frequently.
Usually the power supply is good. Despite what people think, it is not the power supply that fails but the motherboard. The Celeron processors remain good. Memory is DDR 266 on up to DDR 533 in most cases.
We can make a reliable word processing and email machine repair if we can find boards in volume.
We simply do not have techs here that have been building any low end WXP machines, so we don't know what is good and has long term reliability. We would like to continue using the other eMachines components... to save money for our clients.
Your ideas, please.

i think that you are being quite noble and offering a good service. i'll start lookin around, and i'm sure others will also eventually. i'm assuming these are socket 775 celerons? and are you located in the U.S.? have a preference of locations in which to order from? i know you don't want like the cheapest ebay mobo, because you need bulk.... i hope i can find something for you, you're being real nice to your/the customers, who would be up sh*t creek otherwise.

----------------------------------------
EDIT:
these boards are a lil cheaper than ordering through eMachines, as you said :D  :wink:

quick Newegg run turned up these:

Foxconn P4M800P7MA-RS2- $40.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
- onboard video
- 2 ddr1, 2 ddr2 slots
- does have agp (a bonus to the customer?)
- VIA P4M800 PRO chipset (don't know it, w/e)
- onboard lan & audio
- pata and OOOH even sata support!
- "cheapest" one on there for soc. 775 ( i hope this is what you need!)
- micro atx

Foxconn 865G7MF-SH- $44.99 (coincidentally same maker)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
- onboard vid, lan, and audio
- 2 ddr1 slots
- pata and sata again
- also micro atx
- Intel 865G chipset (heard of it, never personally tested it)
- agp slot
- $39.99 after rebate (which prolly won't apply to bulk, if newegg even does bulk?)

i'm not sure if newegg does bulk, but just these makers/chipsets may be a good place to start. am i missing anything?

with both mobos being ~40 bucks, and OEM XP being like $80 (?), you're still coming well under your projected $210 for through eMachines replacements. i can't vouch for the quality or longevity of either, i hope someone else may be able to (or offer better alternatives), but hey, its a place to start. i can't say i've looked for the cheapest stuff ever, either, as i bet many forum-ites can second. usually you see people flaunting the newest and most expensive. c'est la vie.

hope this helps!
December 12, 2006 10:51:14 PM

Often when I ask a friend or hear that a friend's friend bought a new computer and I hear they bought an eMachine, I pitty them. I have even suggested good brands to friends when they seek my advice and they come back from like Best Buy and are like I got it for a good price - its an eMachine.

I think I'd trade my car in for a '88 Ford Temp before I bought an emachine.
December 12, 2006 11:30:24 PM

Well I can say the psu is normally at fault when I replace them. The psu will drop a capacitor and cause the motherboard to fail. On the computers equipped with a ecs/trigem motherboard the bios will burn and the intel based motherboard the southbridge will burn. So if you were to do something noble like this I would suggest having the psu replaced along with that motherboard or you may not be fixing any problems. As well with the failed psu killing the motherboards on several occasions ive seen the keyboard fail as well.
!