e6400 proc. and evga 680 sli mobo question

crimsonnblue

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I have a question for some more experienced ocer's. I have successfully overclocked the chip to 2.4 ghz. It becomes unstable @ 2.45. Acutally 2.4 isnt stable while Gaming. I have an coolermaster copper heatsink. Its not over heating it just blue screen when I play games. Does not bsod when it is clocked at default speeds so i know thats whats causing the bsod.

I guess my main question would be.. should I keep the multiplier @ 8x or try 6x and 7x with higher fsb. Will this allow a more stable clock.

note: when overclocked higher than 2.4 the mobo wont post, So I reset the bios with the jumper.... but when overclocked at 2.4 games are making my pc bsod. Advice is welcome. Thank You!!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Nothing hurts to give it a try. We need more info about your voltages and memory timings/speed. What temps do you get under full load? Have you tried upping the voltage? Is it stable in Prime95?

Dequeant

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Definently sounds like memory timings is the problem. Just my guess since you didn't mention it at all, even casually. You said the processor isn't "overheating" too. Also, from personal experience, my computer usually freezes when it's the processor, and BSODs when it's the memory. (not scientific, just from personal experience). I'm guessing you're just upping the FSB and hoping for the best.

What kind of ram do you have? (speed and timings please)

Here's what i would try:

1) Bump your vcore up one notch. Play a game for a while at 2.45 and see if it is stable. If it is, you were just starving your C2D of juice and can skip the next step and continue overclocking.

2) Try turning your memory timings up, (from 4,4,4,12 to 5,5,5,15 etc) and see if 2.4/2.45 become stable. If they do you can narrow it down to memory. If your comp is stable at 2.45 now, you found the problem. Now you have a choice: Stay at 2.45 and tweak your memory to keep it stable with as low settings a possible, or.......continue seeing how far you can take the processor.

Your multiplier really shouldn't matter at this low of an overclock, and will just make things worse if it is your memory that's capping ur overclock. If you have some good RAM then later on you can play with changing ur multiplier between 7 and 8. Right now you should just be seeing what your processor can do.

Let me know how it goes. I plan on buying the 650i Ultra and OC'ing an E6400.......so i'm interested in how far you can take it with a mobo built for OCing.