How to move 3Com HomeConnect 100 ft away from desktop?

I love this camera, but would like to be able to set it up in other
rooms. I understand that there are limits on how many USB
extensions you can use. Is there such a thing as a wireless USB
port? Or some other solution?
5 answers Last reply
More about move 3com homeconnect desktop

    yes... it's called a wireless network camera.

    "Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I love this camera, but would like to be able to set it up in other
    > rooms. I understand that there are limits on how many USB
    > extensions you can use. Is there such a thing as a wireless USB
    > port? Or some other solution?

    We sell USB extension kits:

    http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm
    but they are not cheap ...

    announcement@eagletron.com says...

    >We sell USB extension kits:
    >
    >http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm
    >but they are not cheap ...

    Thanks, but that's a lot more than I'm interested in spending.

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:40:59 -0600, Peabody
    <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >announcement@eagletron.com says...
    >>

    >>We sell USB extension kits:
    >>
    >>http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm
    >>but they are not cheap ...
    >
    >Thanks, but that's a lot more than I'm interested in spending.

    Extending USB usually runs about $2/ft at its cheapest from what
    I've seen. USB cams are made for grand parents/grand kids, and
    nakkkeeed net types that stay at the computers. You should look
    into ethernet IP cams or analog cams for longer distances. Below
    is a reasonable cost source for analog cams. The ones with Sony
    chips are usually have pretty good video quality.

    http://207.207.29.130/store/home.asp
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    could you use a usb video grabbing device as a webcam with a wireless colour
    camera attatched to wireless unit?

    that way the limit of the usb is down to the wireless cmaera kits
    range...usb isnt the probelm then...

    i have wireless cameras that plug into pc using a dvr card...one of these is
    a good 100 feet from pc and works well

    http://quavis.co.uk/easywebcam.html

    thats where it lives....and has worked well for years now..the while set up
    was

    £ 20 for eachcamera...

    £20 for dvr card

    and £2 a month for web space...

    £17 for uploading software

    £119 in total... cheap i say

    regards slayer

    Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:40:59 -0600, Peabody
    > <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> announcement@eagletron.com says...
    >>>

    >>> We sell USB extension kits:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm
    >>> but they are not cheap ...
    >>
    >> Thanks, but that's a lot more than I'm interested in spending.
    >
    > Extending USB usually runs about $2/ft at its cheapest from what
    > I've seen. USB cams are made for grand parents/grand kids, and
    > nakkkeeed net types that stay at the computers. You should look
    > into ethernet IP cams or analog cams for longer distances. Below
    > is a reasonable cost source for analog cams. The ones with Sony
    > chips are usually have pretty good video quality.
    >
    > http://207.207.29.130/store/home.asp

Webcams Peripherals