wordpad

Hi all.
Can someone tell me why my wordpad opens every time I turn on my computer
7 answers Last reply
More about wordpad

    Some gremlin put it in your programs/startup folder.

    "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi all.
    | Can someone tell me why my wordpad opens every time I turn
    on my computer

    Nope :(....I had allready tried that. I also get a warning from my firewall
    that says this
    Malicious script detected
    You computer is halted and needs to do something about this script
    Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    Activity: Regwrite
    File: C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta

    Now i've tried to go there and delete the font but the font "Msoffice.hta"
    dosint exist in C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta :(

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Some gremlin put it in your programs/startup folder.

    > "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi all.
    > | Can someone tell me why my wordpad opens every time I turn
    > on my computer

    The HTA extension is NOT a font, it's a HTML application. A HTML
    application is similar to a web page, but isn't subject to all of the
    restrictions that reduce the mischef regular htm and html files can
    attempt. You should use an antivirus and some anti spyware utilities to
    scan your system.

    shane wrote:

    > Nope :(....I had allready tried that. I also get a warning from my firewall
    > that says this
    > Malicious script detected
    > You computer is halted and needs to do something about this script
    > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > Activity: Regwrite
    > File: C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta
    >
    > Now i've tried to go there and delete the font but the font "Msoffice.hta"
    > dosint exist in C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta :(
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >

    >>Some gremlin put it in your programs/startup folder.
    >>

    >>--
    >>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>

    >>"shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>| Hi all.
    >>| Can someone tell me why my wordpad opens every time I turn
    >>on my computer

    Your PC's infected. That's why you're getting the warning. You
    might want to take a look here:

    http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/chronicles.htm

    Scroll down to the Variant 13 section.

    Download and run the CWShredder program to see if it fixes the
    problem.

    What AV program are you running? Is it a recent version, no older
    than 2003? If so update it and run a scan. If not try one of the
    following free scans.

    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan
    > Nope :(....I had allready tried that. I also get a warning from
    > my firewall
    > that says this
    > Malicious script detected
    > You computer is halted and needs to do something about this
    > script
    > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > Activity: Regwrite
    > File: C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta
    >
    > Now i've tried to go there and delete the font but the font
    > "Msoffice.hta"
    > dosint exist in C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta :(
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >
    >> Some gremlin put it in your programs/startup folder.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>

    >> "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | Hi all.
    >> | Can someone tell me why my wordpad opens every time I turn
    >> on my computer

    CWShredder was the answer to my probleme
    tyvm guys
    and ty nepatsfan
    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > Your PC's infected. That's why you're getting the warning. You
    > might want to take a look here:
    >
    > http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/chronicles.htm
    >
    > Scroll down to the Variant 13 section.
    >
    > Download and run the CWShredder program to see if it fixes the
    > problem.
    >
    > What AV program are you running? Is it a recent version, no older
    > than 2003? If so update it and run a scan. If not try one of the
    > following free scans.
    >
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan
    > "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Nope :(....I had allready tried that. I also get a warning from
    > > my firewall
    > > that says this
    > > Malicious script detected
    > > You computer is halted and needs to do something about this
    > > script
    > > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > > Activity: Regwrite
    > > File: C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta
    > >
    > > Now i've tried to go there and delete the font but the font
    > > "Msoffice.hta"
    > > dosint exist in C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta :(
    > >
    > > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Some gremlin put it in your programs/startup folder.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >>

    > >> "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> on my computer

    Even though that took care of your original problem, you might
    want to do a thorough search for other pests. At the very least
    run an AV scan in Safe Mode. You might also want to download,
    install, update and run AdAware in Safe Mode. It's available
    here:

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    If you want some more info, take a look at this site:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --
    Nepatsfan
    > CWShredder was the answer to my probleme
    > tyvm guys
    > and ty nepatsfan
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> Your PC's infected. That's why you're getting the warning. You
    >> might want to take a look here:
    >>
    >> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/chronicles.htm
    >>
    >> Scroll down to the Variant 13 section.
    >>
    >> Download and run the CWShredder program to see if it fixes the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> What AV program are you running? Is it a recent version, no
    >> older
    >> than 2003? If so update it and run a scan. If not try one of
    >> the
    >> following free scans.
    >>
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >>
    >> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >> "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Nope :(....I had allready tried that. I also get a warning
    >> > from
    >> > my firewall
    >> > that says this
    >> > Malicious script detected
    >> > You computer is halted and needs to do something about this
    >> > script
    >> > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    >> > Activity: Regwrite
    >> > File: C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta
    >> >
    >> > Now i've tried to go there and delete the font but the font
    >> > "Msoffice.hta"
    >> > dosint exist in C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta :(

    Fonts folder doesn't use a folder viewer but a font viewer. Therefore it only shows installed fonts not files. You need to use a command prompt to access files in Fonts.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79A42EA1-F9C0-462E-A134-105AE5B01D0D@microsoft.com...
    > Nope :(....I had allready tried that. I also get a warning from my firewall
    > that says this
    > Malicious script detected
    > You computer is halted and needs to do something about this script
    > Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object
    > Activity: Regwrite
    > File: C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta
    >
    > Now i've tried to go there and delete the font but the font "Msoffice.hta"
    > dosint exist in C:\ Windows\Fonts\Msoffice.hta :(
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >
    >> Some gremlin put it in your programs/startup folder.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>

    >> "shane" <shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | Hi all.
    >> | Can someone tell me why my wordpad opens every time I turn
    >> on my computer

Computers Microsoft Windows XP