Install XP on multiple computers

I have purchased and installed XP Pro (not upgrade). Can I use this same
disk to upgrade my laptop from XP Home as installed by the vendor (HP)?

tia
More about install multiple computers

    Windows XP requires an individual license (Product Key) for
    each installation on a different computer. Therefore, you will
    need to purchase a new license for each additional installation
    of Windows XP. However, you can use the same Windows XP
    CD to install with a new Product Key.

    In case you overlooked it:

    On the back of the Windows XP box, please read the statement:

    "For installation and use on one computer"
    (see License Agreement for license terms).

    Go to Start >Run box type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on the
    "End-User License Agreement" and read it. Your answer
    lies in that agreement.

    You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
    and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

    How to obtain additional licenses for Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814175&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    In news:y6BEd.96974$uM5.11451@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    mike gray <omgray@worldnet.att.net> typed:

    >I have purchased and installed XP Pro (not upgrade). Can I use
    >this
    > same disk to upgrade my laptop from XP Home as installed by the
    > vendor (HP)?

    No. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one license) for
    each computer.

    There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
    been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
    3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
    enforcement mechanism.

    If yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, you can buy extra
    licenses (see
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp>).
    But it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft
    sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list
    price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete
    second copy from a discount source.

    By the way, why do you want to upgrade to Professional? Are you
    aware that XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in
    all respects, except that Professional has a few features (mostly
    related to networking and security) missing from Home. For most
    (but not all) home users, these features aren't needed, would
    never be used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste
    of money.

    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    mike gray wrote:
    > I have purchased and installed XP Pro (not upgrade). Can I use this same
    > disk to upgrade my laptop from XP Home as installed by the vendor (HP)?
    >
    > tia

    No, of course not. Just as it says, right on the box, you'll need
    to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on which you
    install it.

    This isn't new, as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft
    operating systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the
    EULA and U.S. copyright law
    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not technically) to
    purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it is installed.
    (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine final
    applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP licensing
    differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that Microsoft has
    finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism, Product
    Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult) multiple
    installations using a single license.

    If you have a retail license, you can buy additional licenses,
    assuming one already has a retail license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot
    sell additional OEM licenses. Be aware, however, that you'll probably
    pay more this way than you would if you were to buy a second copy of
    WinXP from a discount retailer; Microsoft will only offer you a 15%
    discount off their MSRP.

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I have to nitpick. This has been bugging me for a while, so I got Win 1.03 and 2.03 to see if they had an eula.txt, they don't. But I'm sure it's since Windows 1 and Dos 1.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:O$k1h%2319EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > In news:y6BEd.96974$uM5.11451@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    > mike gray <omgray@worldnet.att.net> typed:
    >
    >>I have purchased and installed XP Pro (not upgrade). Can I use
    >>this
    >> same disk to upgrade my laptop from XP Home as installed by the
    >> vendor (HP)?
    >

    > No. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one license) for
    > each computer.
    >
    > There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
    > been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
    > 3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
    > enforcement mechanism.
    >
    > If yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, you can buy extra
    > licenses (see
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp>).
    > But it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft
    > sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list
    > price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete
    > second copy from a discount source.
    >
    > By the way, why do you want to upgrade to Professional? Are you
    > aware that XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in
    > all respects, except that Professional has a few features (mostly
    > related to networking and security) missing from Home. For most
    > (but not all) home users, these features aren't needed, would
    > never be used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste
    > of money.
    >
    > For details go to
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    >
    > Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    > connections, and Home only five.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:ez0l6D29EHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    David Candy <.> typed:

    > I have to nitpick. This has been bugging me for a while, so I
    > got Win
    > 1.03 and 2.03 to see if they had an eula.txt, they don't. But
    > I'm
    > sure it's since Windows 1 and Dos 1.

    My canned message used to just say "every version of Windows"
    (which was what I thought, too) until someone in one of the
    newsgroups pointed out that it's only been since Windows 3.1. So
    I changed it.

    If you can come up with documentation that it's always been the
    case, I'd be happy to change it back. I don't think it matters a
    whole lot either way--the essential point remains--but I always
    like to be as accurate as possible.

    David Candy wrote:
    > I have to nitpick. This has been bugging me for a while, so I got Win
    > 1.03 and 2.03 to see if they had an eula.txt, they don't. But I'm
    > sure it's since Windows 1 and Dos 1.

    Well that's where you'd be wrong. 3.1 was the first version to have such
    restrictions.

    on salads.

    I'm slowly getting ready to run Win 1.03 setup (I don't have a floppy and stuff like this is really hard without one) just to see if there is a license agrement. I just got a copy of my Dos 3.3 but I need a floppy to use it (as it's OEM if it is the same license as now then my license has expired but the dos files are from my OEM). I'll play around in VirtualPC in the next few weeks. I've been slowly working at this for months.

    http://www.uscricket.com

    Ken Blake wrote:

    > By the way, why do you want to upgrade to Professional? Are you
    > aware that XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in
    > all respects, except that Professional has a few features (mostly
    > related to networking and security) missing from Home. For most
    > (but not all) home users, these features aren't needed, would
    > never be used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste
    > of money.

    A few years ago, I bought the home version of XP to upgrade the PC, but
    it would not install. In desperation, I loaded a bootleg copy which
    worked fine (!).

    I then bought the laptop with the intent of having a clone of the PC to
    take on the road.

    I've had a lot of trouble getting my laptop and pc to talk to one
    another. I've been told that the problem is that the versions of XP are
    incompatable. Result is that everything is moved back nd forth on floppies.

    I had a major hack to the PC, and decided to restart with a clean
    machine. I bought Pro because the box advertises better networking
    features. I saw the "single machine" caveat, but assumed, naively, that
    I could also upgrade the laptop with the same disk, anc could finally
    network easily.

    As more folks move into a multiple-machine environment, MS should
    recognize the need to license users, not machines.

    In news:y4TEd.761$w62.21@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    mike gray <omgray@worldnet.att.net> typed:

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >
    >> By the way, why do you want to upgrade to Professional? Are
    >> you
    >> aware that XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in
    >> all respects, except that Professional has a few features
    >> (mostly
    >> related to networking and security) missing from Home. For
    >> most
    >> (but not all) home users, these features aren't needed, would
    >> never be used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a
    >> waste
    >> of money.
    >

    > A few years ago, I bought the home version of XP to upgrade the
    > PC,
    > but it would not install. In desperation, I loaded a bootleg
    > copy which
    > worked fine (!).
    >
    > I then bought the laptop with the intent of having a clone of
    > the PC
    > to take on the road.
    >
    > I've had a lot of trouble getting my laptop and pc to talk to
    > one
    > another. I've been told that the problem is that the versions
    > of XP
    > are incompatable.

    Are you saying that you've been told that XP Professional and
    Home are incompatible?

    If so, you've been told wrong. That's completely false. XP
    Professional and can Home can be networked together in a
    peer-to-peer network just as easily and just as well as two XP
    Professionals or two XP Homes. As a matter of fact, that's
    exactly the configuration I have here: XP Professional and XP
    Home networked together.

    Whatever your problem was, that wasn't it.

    > Result is that everything is moved back nd forth on
    > floppies.
    > I had a major hack to the PC, and decided to restart with a
    > clean
    > machine. I bought Pro because the box advertises better
    > networking
    > features.

    That's unfortunately very misleading. The better networking
    feature is pretty much that Professional can be used to join a
    domain and Home can not. Home users rarely need to join domains
    (domains are most used in large corporations and some colleges).

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    No - you need separate copies - or purchase a second CD-Key/Licence I suppose....

    "mike gray" <omgray@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I have purchased and installed XP Pro (not upgrade). Can I use this same
    > disk to upgrade my laptop from XP Home as installed by the vendor (HP)?
    >
    > tia

Computers Hewlett Packard Microsoft Windows XP