Anyone have this problem with an ATI card?

mightyfish

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Last month I bought a x1900xt card, among the problems it had, games would crash on alt tabbing. It ended up having some other faults though, and I had to return it. This month, I got a x1950xt. The card is stable in all aspects, but still crashes on alt-tabbing. I figure this has something to do with ATI drivers, or how the card changes clock speeds in 2d-3d transition, but my knoweldge of the subject in detail is about 0. Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone have a fix?

I alt-tab an awful lot even when gaming and so it is really annoying. I'd hate to return this card because of something trivial.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Hmm.. i've had my 1900XT since around May, Never experienced that.. What drivers do you use? Latest Cats a Assume?

are you on DVI or VGA?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Last month I bought a x1900xt card, among the problems it had, games would crash on alt tabbing. It ended up having some other faults though, and I had to return it. This month, I got a x1950xt. The card is stable in all aspects, but still crashes on alt-tabbing. I figure this has something to do with ATI drivers, or how the card changes clock speeds in 2d-3d transition, but my knoweldge of the subject in detail is about 0. Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone have a fix?

I alt-tab an awful lot even when gaming and so it is really annoying. I'd hate to return this card because of something trivial.
I have! I just bought an x1950xt. It constantly switches from 2d to 3d, and has a lot of trouble with going to desktop. I turned that feature off with AtiTool, since I have no idea how to do it with ATI's drivers. Oh, by the way, I can't get ATI overdrive to work. Also, the newest x1950 drivers will not install for me. Having any of these problems?

mrmez

Splendid
I got the same card too. (HIS 1950xt)

Havent had ne probs with alt tab-ing :?

Latest drivers wont work (6.11) So use 6.10 or woteva came on the cd. I also hear we may have to wait for 6.13 before it fully supports this card. :evil:

Will test alt tab some more when im home and post if i get farkups.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Usually its the application or game that is responsible for crashing, and not the drivers! You can confirm that by reading the game's instructions (something that nobody seems to be doing these days!).
Another solution to your problem is to deactivate or reassign the ALT or TAB keys with a 3rd party application so you don't get crashes anymore even if you accidentaly click them.

wicsteel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Usually its the application or game that is responsible for crashing, and not the drivers! You can confirm that by reading the game's instructions (something that nobody seems to be doing these days!).
Another solution to your problem is to deactivate or reassign the ALT or TAB keys with a 3rd party application so you don't get crashes anymore even if you accidentaly click them.

Yes... i have found that its mostly the game's fault not the display drivers.

TRENDING THREADS