Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
My friend is coming over on the 15th from California and he plans on bringing his rig over. It's a mid tower, and it probably weighs around 20 pounds. Weight really isn't an issue though, it's more about how to get it from there to here. What would be the best method? Ship it through UPS or something like that, or to fly it over as a piece of luggage? I'm trying to figure out what case he has, he says it's a Xion case he got off Tigerdirect, but I'm not completely sure. Would it be possible to take it on as carry on? (I doubt this because I think they put a weight limit on how much you can take on.) That, or would it be safe to have it flown over with him?

When I went to the Bahamas recently they were literally tossing our luggage out of the plane 30 feet above to the ground. I'm scared this might happen with the case, and that it might be horribly disfigured and the components might break. Sorry if I put this in the wrong board, I have no clue where this belongs :?

If there's too much risk involved with flying it over, I'll tell him to just ship it thru UPS or something.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
There's no good way to do this. No he won't be able to carry it on the plane. Not sure if he could get the PC past security, either.

Shipping is an option, but consider that hard drives are suseptible to vibration damage. And if he has a heavy aftermarket heatsink it's not good to move the computer around a lot. If you do ship, you need to buy the insurance and pack the system well.

nkoi

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
ok i got 3 plans,
A) UPS it, get insurance, hopefully they wont destroy it.
B) CARRY ON! (set off all metel detectors plus, im carrying a huge box... hmm)
C) UPS package it (case, packing material, box, bubble wrap, another box) and pray to god that the airline boys dont mess it up

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
does your friend still have the anti static bags for all the components? if so he could tear apart the system, pack the parts separately, ship 'em, then reasemble it when he gets to your place. it would be a little more work, but all the stuff would get there safely, and if he doesnt have the original bags im sure you can get them somewhere. then he doesnt have to worry about static, the risk of destruction goes way down, and you dont have to explain to airport security what the big metal box is whist some guy is checking inside your ass for explosives.