Sign in with
Your question

AGP->PCIe??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2006 12:27:18 AM

I know this is probably a silly noob question, but do any type of slot conversions exist? A friend wants to buy my PCIe X1600PRO but he only has AGP slots on his mobo. Thanks for your time guys.

More about : agp pcie

December 13, 2006 12:57:04 AM

Simply put...no.

And if there was, I'd be willing to bet there would be a bottle neck issue.
December 13, 2006 1:03:54 AM

Where?
Related resources
December 13, 2006 1:35:42 AM

In the conversion from PCIE to AGP.

@OP
No there aren't any such devices. Your friend either needs to look at a different card or get a new motherboard that supports PCI-e. Probably will need a new proc, that's just how these things go. And there is the possibility of having to get new ram too, all for a new video card.

Its up to him....
December 13, 2006 1:40:37 AM

Obvious, but on an X1600PRO? I doubt that card would use more bandwidth than AGP 8x
December 13, 2006 1:54:17 AM

Well that proves my point but the OP's mate wants to buy the OP's PCI-E card not buy a new card. He can either buy a diff card that's AGP, buy a new mobo, or cbf.
December 13, 2006 2:17:52 AM

AGP's are overpriced... He wanted mine cause it's almost brand new but he'd get it for $45-50.

I didn't think that there was any kind of conversion, but thanks for clarifying it guys. Since we're both poor college students right now, he's probably just SOL.
December 13, 2006 2:19:11 PM

He might look into a 7600GS AGP. Think they're around $100-150 on newegg.

I wanted to check the interactive video charts to compair the x1600 pro to the 7600gs, but the chart is giving me bad stream data atm.
December 13, 2006 2:44:20 PM

Try ebay
December 13, 2006 2:51:41 PM

No - PCIE was introduced specifically to overcome the bottlenecks inherent to the AGP8 interface as the GPU's increased in power. For this reason you'll find current low to mid range graphics cards in both AGP and PCIE versions but the higher end stuff is exclusively PCIE. Its like putting a souped up engine in a Pinto - add 10% and the existing gearbox and chassis might take it but drop a 1000HP engine in and you'd need a new gearbox, drivetrain and chassis to handle the power from the engine.
December 13, 2006 3:28:06 PM

Quote:
No - PCIE was introduced specifically to overcome the bottlenecks inherent to the AGP8 interface as the GPU's increased in power. For this reason you'll find current low to mid range graphics cards in both AGP and PCIE versions but the higher end stuff is exclusively PCIE. Its like putting a souped up engine in a Pinto - add 10% and the existing gearbox and chassis might take it but drop a 1000HP engine in and you'd need a new gearbox, drivetrain and chassis to handle the power from the engine.

Very good way to put it Steve. :) 
December 13, 2006 3:52:58 PM

Quote:
He might look into a 7600GS AGP. Think they're around $100-150 on newegg.

I wanted to check the interactive video charts to compair the x1600 pro to the 7600gs, but the chart is giving me bad stream data atm.

The 7600GS would be better than an X1600pro. The X1650pro at stock is about the same as a 7600GS.
December 13, 2006 4:16:19 PM

Quote:

Not to repete what StrangerStranger said but:
You should loook up PCI-E and why it was introduced as a replacement for PCI and AGP. IT was not do to bandwith issues, and i dont believe even current cards (8800 even) dont excede the bandwith of AGP 8x.

Besides, AGP 4.0 is around the corner. 5x faster then PCI-e. Required a RISC procesor though. .... .LONG LIVE TEH RISC.
December 13, 2006 4:37:46 PM

He is out of luck as there is no conversion from PCIe to AGP. If he goes the route of change the mobo he will like run into additional costs for new proc, ram, etc. Just easier to spend a bit extra & get an AGP card or stay put & stick the money to be used on the side & start socking it away for a sys upgrade
December 13, 2006 4:40:26 PM

You are really stretching your point by using a Pinto in your weak example.

And yes, what the others have said goes. 8X AGP is not saturated by any reasonable measurement. PCIe was to be the panacea for all peripheral devices, not just video cards. Yes SLI/Crossfire is nice....for those with $$$ to burn. But the maybe with PCIe 2.0 will those benefits finally arrive for all devices (ie sound cards).
December 13, 2006 5:17:54 PM

Quote:
LONG LIVE TEH RISC.

If only microsoft would support it, we'd all have REALLY excellent computers, given the would-be market saturation shortly after that. I'm sure sun would enjoy that...
December 13, 2006 5:27:25 PM

Quote:

Let's try dropping it in my corola! haha
December 13, 2006 5:33:37 PM

Actualy, the Pinto is one if the greatest cars of our time. Dont insult the best American sports car to ever drive the streets.
December 13, 2006 6:40:20 PM

It is also super reliable and safe, can't forget how safe it is!
December 13, 2006 6:41:44 PM

Quote:
Actualy, the Pinto is one if the greatest cars of our time. Dont insult the best American sports car to ever drive the streets.

Classic pocket rocket
Heck, its rear drive and supports a small block V8 quite well. Power to weight ratio would be great. Just like with the classic VW bug. :D 
OT
Drag racers would run away in fear of losing their pink slips. :lol: 
December 13, 2006 7:09:59 PM

Quote:
That's incorrect.
December 13, 2006 7:33:44 PM

Quote:
That's incorrect.

Eh no its not even close to correct. Moving everything to a single buss that takes away the massive limitations of hte odl PCI buss is alot more accurate though vague. PCI - e was not made with graphics only in mind it was made with everything you plug into a computer in mind. It just so happens itss also fast enough for video as well.
December 13, 2006 8:15:51 PM

They "exist", but you really can't find any to buy, and they require a half height card, limiting your choices drastically. It's cheaper to get a new motherboard.
December 13, 2006 8:18:59 PM

Quote:
Its like putting a souped up engine in a Pinto - add 10% and the existing gearbox and chassis might take it but drop a 1000HP engine in and you'd need a new gearbox, drivetrain and chassis to handle the power from the engine.

Why would you need to put a 1,000 horse power engine in a Pinto when a good 400hp 2.3T will get you into the 11's with a pinto? :? Besides, the C4 automatic is a pretty damn good tranny, mind you.
December 13, 2006 8:24:16 PM

Heh. I hope with 6 replies saying the same thing, he can add PCI-e To his knowledge banks.
December 13, 2006 9:53:33 PM

Quote:
Its like putting a souped up engine in a Pinto - add 10% and the existing gearbox and chassis might take it but drop a 1000HP engine in and you'd need a new gearbox, drivetrain and chassis to handle the power from the engine.

Why would you need to put a 1,000 horse power engine in a Pinto when a good 400hp 2.3T will get you into the 11's with a pinto? :? Besides, the C4 automatic is a pretty damn good tranny, mind you.

Yeah, I was containing myself ...1000 HP! :lol: 

btw, nice to see your K62 is still running. I have my old trusty K62 400 still around.
December 14, 2006 1:50:12 AM

Couldn't come up with the bizarre Taiwanese link I found last year at this time. Anywho, I was able to come up with its retarded cousins.

The PCI to AGP converter:

The PCIe to AGP converter

I do remember coming across one on the net at one time time. Anyhow, it's not like one could buy one. It was probably one of those prototype deals that never took off.
December 14, 2006 3:37:13 AM

Yeah, those look like prototypes that were designed to make discussions like this more difficult, making those who are doing the talking say, "well, there technically is a way, but it's a prototype and never will really take off..." Let's just say that for all intents and purposes, no devices exist that will do the conversion that a normal person could get a hold of. That way, everyone is right, and we can look at these weird pieces of technology and say, "How did that ever get onto physical pieces of equipment?"
December 14, 2006 12:59:31 PM

Not to bust your bubble, but my geforce 7900 uses a AGP -> PCI bridge just like that one. I only get ~5fps in oblivion, but thats enough to look at the pretty pictures.
December 14, 2006 5:23:33 PM

Quote:
Heh. I hope with 6 replies saying the same thing, he can add PCI-e To his knowledge banks.

Dunno i know you have seen as many posts as i have where people think pci-e is the devil and there is no need for it simply because thier video card doesnt use all the bandwidth totaly ignoring the other 95% of the picture.
December 14, 2006 5:30:38 PM

Slide shows can be pretty too :D 
December 14, 2006 5:39:26 PM

Ok, you got me on the PCI part. I was mainly referring to the PCI-e bridge in the second pic. But your comment about the slideshow I believe makes my earlier point about the amount of loss in the processing power/speed due to the conversion...

Edit:
Oh, BTW, what's the company that makes your conversion card? I would totally be interested in learning more about a company that has the balls to make such a piece of equipment.
December 14, 2006 5:51:19 PM

Yea, god forbid we have PCI-e vs. AGP riots in the streets. :) 
Bet that thing would cost more than a mid-range mobo.
December 14, 2006 5:54:42 PM

lol, I meant more along the lines of the balls to make a product that WILL fail. And yes, I am sure it does cost more than a mid-range mobo. That's why it would fail, no matter what.

I still wanna know more about it though.
December 14, 2006 6:22:03 PM

Not to mention that with the performance loss and converter cost, you would be better off just buying the AGP version and getting better performance.
December 14, 2006 8:05:27 PM

I was jooking.... sorry.
December 14, 2006 8:15:44 PM

:( :(  you got my hopes all up too :( 
!