Stop Installs Help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi guys just some quick advice please

when I go to some internet pages I get software installed on my comp without
my permission, like deskad and bullseye and shopagency and others, now I
know you will probably say don't go to the pages but I need to use them.

How can I stop them, I have AVG and Norton antivirus and windows and google
pop up blockers fully on and windows xp firewall on but they still get
through

Help please, any other programs i should have on to stop them installing
automatically

cheers dave
6 answers Last reply
More about stop installs help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Dragon wrote:
    > Hi guys just some quick advice please
    >
    > when I go to some internet pages I get software installed on my comp without
    > my permission, like deskad and bullseye and shopagency and others, now I
    > know you will probably say don't go to the pages but I need to use them.
    >
    > How can I stop them, I have AVG and Norton antivirus and windows and google
    > pop up blockers fully on and windows xp firewall on but they still get
    > through
    >
    > Help please, any other programs i should have on to stop them installing
    > automatically
    >
    > cheers dave

    Spybot Search and Destroy will "immunize" your system and
    stop the spyware or adware from loading.

    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    gls858
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi

    If you're running SP2, have you configured the pop-up blocker?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Dragon" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi guys just some quick advice please
    >
    > when I go to some internet pages I get software installed on my comp
    > without my permission, like deskad and bullseye and shopagency and others,
    > now I know you will probably say don't go to the pages but I need to use
    > them.
    >
    > How can I stop them, I have AVG and Norton antivirus and windows and
    > google pop up blockers fully on and windows xp firewall on but they still
    > get through
    >
    > Help please, any other programs i should have on to stop them installing
    > automatically
    >
    > cheers dave

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    > If you're running SP2, have you configured the pop-up blocker?

    Popup-blockers don't help against most sorts of spyware targeted against
    Windows.

    Dragon: Go to www.lavasoft.com and download "AdAware". It is a a program
    that searches for and removes the kind o software that is bothering you.
    And it's free :)

    ~Mik

    --
    "The geek shall inherit the earth."
    -- Rainer Wolfcastle in "Undercover Nerd"

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Dragon wrote:
    >> Hi guys just some quick advice please
    >>
    >> when I go to some internet pages I get software installed on my comp
    >> without my permission, like deskad and bullseye and shopagency and
    >> others, now I know you will probably say don't go to the pages but I
    >> need to use them.
    >>
    >> How can I stop them, I have AVG and Norton antivirus and windows and
    >> google pop up blockers fully on and windows xp firewall on but they still
    >> get through
    >>
    >> Help please, any other programs i should have on to stop them installing
    >> automatically
    >>
    >> cheers dave
    >>

    > Spybot Search and Destroy will "immunize" your system and
    > stop the spyware or adware from loading.
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >
    > gls858

    I have spybot and that finds them but doesnt stop them installing once i go
    to the pages, do i need to change setting anyware, i have also go ad aware
    on my ssytem too but all set at default forem when i installed them, i
    havent altered nothing, should i alter the programs to help me

    Dave
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2.

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    =====

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    =====

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.0 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    =====

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
    http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

    HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
    =====

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    =====

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:sTEEd.104097$Z7.12912@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    Dragon <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Dragon wrote:
    >>> Hi guys just some quick advice please
    >>>
    >>> when I go to some internet pages I get software installed on my comp
    >>> without my permission, like deskad and bullseye and shopagency and
    >>> others, now I know you will probably say don't go to the pages but
    >>> I need to use them.
    >>>
    >>> How can I stop them, I have AVG and Norton antivirus and windows
    >>> and google pop up blockers fully on and windows xp firewall on but
    >>> they still get through
    >>>
    >>> Help please, any other programs i should have on to stop them
    >>> installing automatically
    >>>
    >>> cheers dave
    >>>

    >> Spybot Search and Destroy will "immunize" your system and
    >> stop the spyware or adware from loading.
    >>
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>
    >> gls858
    >

    > I have spybot and that finds them but doesnt stop them installing
    > once i go to the pages, do i need to change setting anyware, i have
    > also go ad aware on my ssytem too but all set at default forem when i
    > installed them, i havent altered nothing, should i alter the programs
    > to help me
    >

    > Dave
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Dragon wrote:
    > "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi guys just some quick advice please
    >>>
    >>>when I go to some internet pages I get software installed on my comp
    >>>without my permission, like deskad and bullseye and shopagency and
    >>>others, now I know you will probably say don't go to the pages but I
    >>>need to use them.
    >>>
    >>>How can I stop them, I have AVG and Norton antivirus and windows and
    >>>google pop up blockers fully on and windows xp firewall on but they still
    >>>get through
    >>>
    >>>Help please, any other programs i should have on to stop them installing
    >>>automatically
    >>>
    >>>cheers dave
    >>>

    >>Spybot Search and Destroy will "immunize" your system and
    >>stop the spyware or adware from loading.
    >>
    >>http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>
    >>gls858
    >

    > I have spybot and that finds them but doesnt stop them installing once i go
    > to the pages, do i need to change setting anyware, i have also go ad aware
    > on my ssytem too but all set at default forem when i installed them, i
    > havent altered nothing, should i alter the programs to help me
    >

    > Dave

    Open Spybot and click th eupdate button and make sure you have the
    lastest files. then click immunize.

    gls858

Microsoft Windows XP