AMD's 65nm where are they?

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I just read something about AMD and IBM's 45nm chips and how great they are going to be....but HELLO!!! how about some 65nm chips first.....jeech!!! As of today, Amd's 65nm launch stands as the mother of all paper launches if we don't see some benchmarks soon. Is it me or is it just weird that no one can get a hold of a 65nm chip seven days after it was launched? Even the biggest
AMD fanboy, sharikou has stopped trying to support them....the guy isn't even updating his blog anymore. I will gladly share the cost of an X2 65nm benchmark with tom, anand, or whomever else will get us the numbers. ANYONE? ANYONE?

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Man! youre in a a big hurry! Where's the fire?

Maybe Sharikou got a life (gf maybe?) and stopped fighting holy wars [:)]. I must say I somewhat miss his articles , they were always somewhat amusing :).

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
You and I arent going to see 65nm till the new year.

OEM's will get the first shipments. AMD is so busy fulfilling orders and enjoying a contant flow of cash that they dont mind letting us wait to see what these new 65nm chips can do.

Besides, we all know by now that there is unlikely to be any major speed increase over current Athlon offerings. So what is the point of AMD sending them out for review. The last thing they want is more negative press coverage.

This generation of 65nm is about increasing AMD's output capabilities. The die size is roughly half that of a 90nm equivalent and roughly 60% the size of a C2D chip. So AMD will get more chips per wafer (as long as yields are good), effectively doubling output. This will reduce costs and should (at least whilst the CPU price war continues) allow AMD to undercut Intels equivalent offerings.

Currently the X2 3800+ is almost 30% cheaper than the E6300 putting it in line with Pentium D925 and we know it kicks the living crap out of that chip.

After the terrible reviews 4x4 received AMD have realised that they need to do more than just offer a concept. They dont want any more negative press. For AMD, at least for the time being, no news is good news.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks that somebody is venting crack smoke through the HVAC at AMD HQ? Seems to me that they've all gone apesh!t bonkers in the past few months. They launch 65nm... but they really don't. They raise the price of the overpriced 5000+. They produce a QuadFX that only a mother could love. They come out with a 5600+ and it's a Toledo!

Woddafark?????

:?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I have a question, that just came to me as I was reading this thread.

If the OEMs are the only ones to have the 65nm AMD CPUs, how is the consumer suppose to know if they got one in the system they ordered? It's not like they have a choice of 90nm or 65nm in their system configuration screens.

Unless it's like the 5600+ (which Dell has, but also states that it might delay the order), no consumer will know what process the CPU is from, until they get it home and run a program like CPU-Z, correct?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks that somebody is venting crack smoke through the HVAC at AMD HQ? Seems to me that they've all gone apesh!t bonkers in the past few months. They launch 65nm... but they really don't. They raise the price of the overpriced 5000+. They produce a QuadFX that only a mother could love. They come out with a 5600+ and it's a Toledo!

Woddafark?????

:?

Consider it Prescott and then Presler but faster. One thing is that with Brisbane AMD has taken back the power efficiency crown. The PCPOP tests done with 4400+ (2.3GHz) and E6300 (1.86GHz) show that at nearly 500W faster they only consume 2 more watts at load and less at idle.

I guess that at least should end the debate as to how the 65nm process is coming. but then maybe that was a cherry-picked chip that was heavily undervolted and underclocked.

Next up, Barcelona, which seems to be getting faster. AMD first in Sept quoted it as tested (traced) at 60% faster, but at the last presentation (TaskManager at 100% does mean something) they quoted 70%.

I gues at the Jan analyst day they'll officially ship retail 65nm and say that the new mobile chip is debuting in Mar, while Bracelona is then 80% faster than Opteron.

Maybe I should put this in the Predictions post.

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Are you serious??

Customer: Hello Mr PC world salesman, I want a new AMD computer but I want one of those new fangled 65nm chips you know!.

rep 1: Don't you mean 65watt Sir?

Customer: No young man, 65nm I said.

rep 1: OK sir, let me just get my manager over to talk about this one. Boss, I've got a crazy here going on about AMD 65watt chips, I think he's confused as he keeps calling them 65nanites or something.

rep 2: Hello sir, I understand you are interested in a new AMD computer system using one of their LOW power 65watt chips?

Customer: No, I think you have things a little confused. I'm after one of the new 65 nanometer chips. These chips are smaller than the old 90nm Athlon Chips, they have just been released recently.

rep 2: Sir, I can assure you that all the chips fit into the same socket on the 'MOTHERBOARD'. So they must be the same size. I think you might be confused, have you had a drink today sir?

Customer: Look you monkeys, AMD have just released 65nm variants of their current athlon 64 X2 line up, have you got any?

rep 2: I'm sorry sir but you obviously know too much about computers and make us look inferior, please leave the store immediately or we'll have you forcibly removed: Security !

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Are you serious??

Customer: Hello Mr PC world salesman, I want a new AMD computer but I want one of those new fangled 65nm chips you know!.

rep 1: Don't you mean 65watt Sir?

Customer: No young man, 65nm I said.

rep 1: OK sir, let me just get my manager over to talk about this one. Boss, I've got a crazy here going on about AMD 65watt chips, I think he's confused as he keeps calling them 65nanites or something.

rep 2: Hello sir, I understand you are interested in a new AMD computer system using one of their LOW power 65watt chips?

Customer: No, I think you have things a little confused. I'm after one of the new 65 nanometer chips. These chips are smaller than the old 90nm Athlon Chips, they have just been released recently.

rep 2: Sir, I can assure you that all the chips fit into the same socket on the 'MOTHERBOARD'. So they must be the same size. I think you might be confused, have you had a drink today sir?

Customer: Look you monkeys, AMD have just released 65nm variants of their current athlon 64 X2 line up, have you got any?

rep 2: I'm sorry sir but you obviously know too much about computers and make us look inferior, please leave the store immediately or we'll have you forcibly removed: Security !

Hey, dude, you wanna join our 1337 comedy TV series consortium? You're good! :lol:

pat

Expert
I have a question, that just came to me as I was reading this thread.

If the OEMs are the only ones to have the 65nm AMD CPUs, how is the consumer suppose to know if they got one in the system they ordered? It's not like they have a choice of 90nm or 65nm in their system configuration screens.

Unless it's like the 5600+ (which Dell has, but also states that it might delay the order), no consumer will know what process the CPU is from, until they get it home and run a program like CPU-Z, correct?

Peoples that buy Dell or HP don't really care if the processor is 65 or 90nm ...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
It is amazing why AMD said that the Fab 36 will be fully converted to 65nm fabrication in half a year.

It's easy because it started out with a certain % of 90nm 300mm, but now they are moving the whole plant to 65nm 300mm.

I'm not sure what the ix was but I would guess that it may be about 25% of total capacity. If it were more they may not have had a 90nm shortage but then they wouldn't have as much 65nm ready for Jan.

For those who wondered I would think that they will be marketed as Low Power EE or something.