how can i enable hyperthreading on non hyperthreading cpu???

samiii

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
i just ran pcmark2005 on my 3yr old non-hyderthreading cpu......its cpu details tell me available hyperthreading but disabled.....how do i enable it???????

RB9269

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Erm? What processor is it? I know i tried for ages to enable hyperthreading on a CPU that had hyperthreading disabled but couldnt get it to work. This was because the hyperthreading parts of the cpu had been cut off from the rest of the processor meaning that i would have had to have made some modifications on the CPU itself.

You might actually have a hyperthreading enabled CPU but the hyperthreading is turned off in the bios, or the motherboard may not support hyperthreading.

Need more info :D

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
as far as i know you can't. Thought it was a hardware thingy. and i have yet to here of software hyper threading...

just wait bet you in 30 secs sum1 who knows will post

bLAKE

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
No there is no software hyperthreading.
However, you might have a CPU which supports hyperthreading, but the feature is disabled in the BIOS of your motherboard.
It might be a matter of just enabling it in the BIOS, flashing a newer BIOS, or just being out of luck :)

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
its cpu details tell me available hyperthreading but disabled...

oh you mean pcmark 2005 says you have a hyperthreaded cpu, but it is disabled... oh. go into your bios and fiddle around with the settings (if you don't know wot a setting does it is a good idea to leave it alone).

in future you should give your system specs - helps the ppl figure out your problem

galespurehoney

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
hyperthreading is pants anyway. leave it disabled. but hey, thats just me.
if there isn't an option in the bios to enable it, you're out of luck. sorry, your mainboard probably doesn't support it...

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
hyperthreading is pants anyway. leave it disabled. but hey, thats just me.
if there isn't an option in the bios to enable it, you're out of luck. sorry, your mainboard probably doesn't support it...

ummmm, just so you know hyper threading vs non-hyper threading on a 3 year old cpu.... hyper threading kicks ass.... it increases cpu performance a shit load... however i am not too sure with the dual core cpus (i think it is the same but in a more complex way or sumthing, i don't wanna pull out my text books to you will have to trust me.... :p ).

bLAKE

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Dude, Your The GOD of Hyper threading, Even the seasoned pro's didn't know that Hyper threading Is some hot Complexly enabled in Core 2 Duo's Or at least the Pentium D's 8O .

galespurehoney for a 3yr old System, Hyper threading vs Non-Hyper threading in you computer, Hyper threading will very much help out. But it's no where near actual Dual Core and not a Light year within Reach of the Core 2 Duo's.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
ummmm, just so you know hyper threading vs non-hyper threading on a 3 year old cpu.... hyper threading kicks ass.... it increases cpu performance a **** load... however i am not too sure with the dual core cpus (i think it is the same but in a more complex way or sumthing, i don't wanna pull out my text books to you will have to trust me.... :p ).
Actually, if i remember correctly, the only dual core CPUs with Hyperthreading (for a total of 4 threads per CPU) were the Pentium Extreme Edition.
There is no HT in Core2.
Anyway, on a Pentium4 CPU, HT gives a performance boost in the range 0-10% application dependent (sometimes it even produces a performance hit), not too shabby but you don't miss out too much.

samiii

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Erm? What processor is it? I know i tried for ages to enable hyperthreading on a CPU that had hyperthreading disabled but couldnt get it to work. This was because the hyperthreading parts of the cpu had been cut off from the rest of the processor meaning that i would have had to have made some modifications on the CPU itself.

You might actually have a hyperthreading enabled CPU but the hyperthreading is turned off in the bios, or the motherboard may not support hyperthreading.

CPU-Z says p4 2.4 code name NORTHWOOD..... 1 core 1 threads........mobo is intel d845pebt2.....cant find any option in bios.....i read somewhere only engineers cud enable hyperthreading in that processor.....

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
i just ran pcmark2005 on my 3yr old non-hyderthreading cpu......its cpu details tell me available hyperthreading but disabled.....how do i enable it???????

Pour Mt. Dew on your motherboard. If it works for 3 year old humans, why not 3 year old computers?

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Anyway, on a Pentium4 CPU, HT gives a performance boost in the range 0-10% application dependent (sometimes it even produces a performance hit), not too shabby but you don't miss out too much.

From what I remember, Lightwave renders on my PC were about 30% faster with hyperthreading than without; however it's a long time since I tested it.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

CPU-Z says p4 2.4 code name NORTHWOOD..... 1 core 1 threads........mobo is intel d845pebt2.....cant find any option in bios.....i read somewhere only engineers cud enable hyperthreading in that processor.....

If they can do that maybe they can enable the 7th and 8th cylinders on my V6.

gse1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Intel were including the hyperthreading technology in Pentium 4s for a while until they actually marketed and enabled it and that wasn't until the Pentium 4 reached 3GHz (maybe with the Prescott core). This is why some utilities might recognise the technology but you won't be able to enable it.

Plus you did also need the right chipset if I recall correctly, so you might be out of luck on 2 counts.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
until they actually marketed and enabled it and that wasn't until the Pentium 4 reached 3GHz (maybe with the Prescott core).

Northwood 3.06 has hyperthreading enabled: I believe that was the first with official support, but earlier Northwoods had hyperthreading hardware in the CPU but disabled... whether that was physically disabled on the core or just in software I have no idea.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I noticed a huge difference in multitasking abilities between my 3GHz P4 (HT) and my single-core AMD64 3200+. The AMD couldn't touch the Intel as far as multitasking goes, but after I got a dual-core AMD, that changed (duh). Then off to C2D I went and it's SO FKN SEXAH!!! I love that thing.