Win2k, multi-boot problem!

aks93

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
How should I structure 3 independent boot partitions that dont share the same desktop and startup features?

Here's what I did...I did an installation of win2k professional in fat 32 on my root drive. Then I copied the same partition twice using partition magic 6, with the idea that I would use one for games, one for surfing, and one for VC++. I use bootmagic to hide the other 2 partitions setting the one I want, VC++, surf or games, to active. Should be easy right? Wrong! LOL it seems that every change I make in say Games, to my setup, is the same when I boot into VC++. The desktop and installed programs all show up the same in all 3 partitions! This is very strange, as upon checking partition magic when say Im booted into VC++, I see that Surf and Games are hidden. When the changes were made in Games, VC++ and Surf were hidden. What gives?

Heres my boot.ini for VC++
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (#1)"

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
“How should I structure 3 independent boot partitions that dont share the same desktop and startup features?…”
The simplest solution:
login under different User Name. You don't need to have different partitions and several Windows installations to have that "dont share the same desktop and startup features".

Never ever think about copying/doubling/multiplying the same Win2000 installation on the same machine to make as dual/multiple boot. Or on several networked machines also!

Aks93: don't waste your time on cloning the Win2000.
You must install Win2000 separately on every drive/partition you want, instead of cloning.

Installation of Win2000 on several separate computers also possible. Don't take as an offence :smile:
Just buy one Win2000 machine for VB6, another for C, the third for C++, the forth for VC6++, also several for different games, and so on.