Linksys54G and 2Wire 1701HG incompatibility

PeteA

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I am trying to install a Linksys54G range expander into an existing wireless network using a DSL router (2wire 1701HG). The auto configure option on the range expander seems to do nothing as I cannot access the range expander setup page under any circumstances. I have used PCs and Macs, connected the expander wirelessly and using the ethernet cable but nothing works.
Has anyone got any ideas?
I can ping the expander and its name appears in the Internet Connect list of my Mac. Help!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The auto config button only works well if you have a linksys accesspoint.
The only way I found to log into it was to give my wireless card a static IP, connect to it, then put in it's IP in IE to get to the config page. It will need all the security info (wep,etc) that the accesspoint has.

PeteA

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
The auto config button only works well if you have a linksys accesspoint.
The only way I found to log into it was to give my wireless card a static IP, connect to it, then put in it's IP in IE to get to the config page. It will need all the security info (wep,etc) that the accesspoint has.

When you say "connect to it", do you mean connect the computer to the Linksys54G range extender using the ethernet cable or connect the range extender to the ap (2Wire 170HGrouter) with the ethernet cable or what?
I am a beginner in this business, so I need it explaining step-by-step.

PeteA

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The linksys range extender I had didn't even have a lan cable port on it, if urs has one that is probably the easiest config method. Just connect the cable to your router, temporarily give your computers lan network card a linksys style ip (ex: 192.168.1.20) and put the extender's ip (should be listed in manual) into IE.

The one I had broadcasted an SSID, I forget what it was exactly but I'm sure it wont be hard to spot. I gave my wireless card a linksys style ip (ex: 192.168.1.20) and connected to that ssid. Then typed in the ip of the extender (should be listed in manual) in IE and got to a config page.

You can set a static for your network cards by right clicking on my network places and going to properties. Right click on your network card (wired or wireless) and click properties. Select Internet protocol TCP/IP and click properties. Select specify the ip and enter it there. Windows will automatically enter the subnet mask and you will not need a gateway or dns for configuration of the linksys.
When you are done configuring the extender go back and move the option from specify to obtain automatically.

PeteA

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I'm still struggling with this one.
I have entered a static IP to the computer but nothing I do will give me the setup page when I enter the range extender IP into IE.
Is there ay wway I can test if the range extender is working withot getting the setup page.
I can ping the extender when it is connected to the computer via the ethernet cable (version 2 has an ethernet port) but noot when using a wireless connection.

PeteA

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Hm.. If you can ping it when it is connected to the computer there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get to the config page...
Do you have any proxy settings in your browser?

You could try doing a factory reset on it. Maybe it needs a clean slate after all of this fiddling. If the new one is similar to the old one you just hold down the rest button for at least 10 seconds to do a facotry reset.

Alfy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
if you really do have a 1701hg modem than you dont need a router at all. I use that modem for my psp because its also a router. Just call sbc and thy will give you really good directions in using it as a router. If i were you just sell that Linksys router because i tried doing the same thing and it didn't work at all ok. Call 1-877-722-3755 and they will help you ok. ANy questions just ask me alright, i am an internet expert and if you want i can give you step by step instructions ok.

Alfy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
if you really do have a 1701hg modem than you dont need a router at all. I use that modem for my psp because its also a router. Just call sbc and thy will give you really good directions in using it as a router. If i were you just sell that Linksys router because i tried doing the same thing and it didn't work at all ok. Call 1-877-722-3755 and they will help you ok. ANy questions just ask me alright, i am an internet expert and if you want i can give you step by step instructions ok.

Alfy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

Alfy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
just call 1-877-722-3755 and they will help you ok, i promise that your problem will be solved. You dont need a router, that modem is a router. I got one of those at my house ok