Sign in with
Your question

IPad forced to load mobile site instead of desktop version

Last response: in Site Feedback
March 21, 2011 3:25:33 PM

Hey Guys,

When I go to Tom's hardware it loads the mobile version of the website on my iPad. Is there a fix for this? Maybe a url that specifically loads the desktop version..

Thanks!
March 22, 2011 12:42:54 PM

Should be a little link at the bottom that says "Go to the desktop version".
March 22, 2011 8:01:07 PM

Is there a way to directly load the desktop version? Otherwise I have to load the website twice. For example I can load the US version by entering tomshardware.com/us/#redir to bypass entering the country settings.
March 23, 2011 12:43:46 PM

Not without changing some hosts information - the site auto-detects based on IP and reroutes to the appropriate language. It also does this for mobiles vs. desktops.
March 23, 2011 8:12:59 PM

I am using My iPad more than my desktop when it comes to browsing the webb.

I think it is very annoying that I am sent to a mobile page and have to go to The realist page from there. All modern tablets (and mobile phones) comes with a rich browsing experience so there is no reason for mobile pages. Do you send low resolution laptops to mobile page also?

I would really like to see the reading experience on tomshardware on iPads and iPhones improved by being sent to the real page!
No other website that I visit except tomshardware behaves this way so I would call this a bug! Pls fix!

Best Regards
Patrik
April 3, 2011 7:06:01 AM

spda242 said:
I am using My iPad more than my desktop when it comes to browsing the webb.

I think it is very annoying that I am sent to a mobile page and have to go to The realist page from there. All modern tablets (and mobile phones) comes with a rich browsing experience so there is no reason for mobile pages. Do you send low resolution laptops to mobile page also?

I would really like to see the reading experience on tomshardware on iPads and iPhones improved by being sent to the real page!
No other website that I visit except tomshardware behaves this way so I would call this a bug! Pls fix!

Best Regards
Patrik

I won't call it a bug.
For example,Engadget opens a mobile site on my iPhone;whereas, it opens as a desktop version on my iPad.
But the idea of a more tablet-friendly site was mentioned before,so hopefully the new forum structure will be more tablet friendly :) 
!