Will I use Crossfire?

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Question:

I enjoy gaming at 1600x1200 on my Samsung Synchmaster 21 inch panel.

I have a board that supports crossfire.

I also have an opportunity to build a family member a computer and give him my X1950XTX in the next 6 months. Meaning I can upgrade to a Dx10 card when ATI brings it out.. (I have a board that supports crossfire not SLI)

I always wanted to run a multi card rig. Will I use it if I run 1600x1200 with all the bells and whistles in games? Or is it not worth it.

Thanks!

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Question:

I enjoy gaming at 1600x1200 on my Samsung Synchmaster 21 inch panel.

I have a board that supports crossfire.

I also have an opportunity to build a family member a computer and give him my X1950XTX in the next 6 months. Meaning I can upgrade to a Dx10 card when ATI brings it out.. (I have a board that supports crossfire not SLI)

I always wanted to run a multi card rig. Will I use it if I run 1600x1200 with all the bells and whistles in games? Or is it not worth it.

Thanks!

I think you would be sub-using it. You should get a larger monitor (one that can give you higher resolutions, like 1920x1200 or higher) so you can use your Xfire setup, else, you'd be fine with a single R600 or G80 card.

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Right, thats what I said in the 1st post :) I am building a machine for a friend that will be the home of my x1950xtx card.. meaning I can upgrade to a ATI DX10 card at that point.

What I want to do it maybe put a pair of R600s in it as a crossfire. I really like my display.. but I wanted to know if 1600x1200 reso with everything enabled would see benifits.

The power requirements will probally just be stupid hehe

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Perhaps a little bit, but not much. But for future proof reasons, probably going crossfire wouldn't be too bad.

In other words, if you have the cash, go for it. But don't be disappointed if you don't see great results in the beginning. DX 10 still has a way to go till it can be fully optimized. I mean, look how much they squeezed out of DX 9!!!

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Hey you have the same mainboard as me and the same case.. do you find that the plastic plate that comes with the case to thread your cables through.. the hole isnt big enough? I have a Forton700 and I find that where they cables come into the case it really cramps that bottem PCI slot. Since thats prime relestate.... was wondering

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Works fine for me, but here's a quick suggestion (sorry to get off topic guys). Duck tape the holes around the PSU, remove the middle fan in the bottom compartment. Pull the cables through and route them through the hole that is closes too the 3 1/2" holder. I also decided to cut the piece of plastic on the cover with a razor blade so that it wouldn't choke the cables. The only problem is that your cords have to be extremely long for that. I'm only using a PCI Express Slot, so I don't really worry about it. Nonetheless, I don't plan on going crossfire, since I only game at 1440x900.

TRENDING THREADS