Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/Ram upgrade advice needed.

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2006 12:59:03 PM

Time to upgrade my motherboard and ram. Need some advice. My budget is pretty open. I don't mind paying for quality, however, what I don't like is overpaying for it ;) 

I currently have an E6600 and a 7950GT. Also, I am keeping my HDs (RAID0 - SATA using on-board raid controller). Power supply is ample at 600W (SilenX). Have sound card as well.

I have been looking around and haven't been able to narrow down a good motherboard/RAM combo. I definitely want 2 Gigs of RAM.

I will be OC'ing a little, nothing to heavy.

To be perfectly honest, matching the RAM to a motherboard has me a bit perplexed...that's why I'm here.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
December 13, 2006 1:01:46 PM

whats your budget for th board and what kind of ram do you have? without knowing the budget i would suggest that you get an Asus P5B Deluxe or a Gigabyte DS3.
December 13, 2006 1:06:23 PM

I have updated my post to add a bit more info.

But to respond to you, my budget is pretty open. Also, I need ram suggestions as well. I am upgrading it as well.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Related resources
December 13, 2006 1:24:53 PM

Ok, so after some looking around...I took your advice, and like the P5B Deluxe. So, assuming that I go with this motherboard, what ram advice would you give?

System Summary:

P5B Deluxe
E6600
RAM - ?????
7950GT
2x200G SATA HDs (RAID0)
600W Power Supply.
December 13, 2006 1:31:39 PM

same ram i got, this stuff its currently sitting on my desk, wont be part of a pc for another week.
December 13, 2006 1:39:40 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice.

One problem...I'm in Canada and cannot find anywhere that sells SUPER TALENT.

Why are they so good? Is there something comparable from Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, etc... that I could look in to?
December 13, 2006 1:55:56 PM

super tight timings, and there basiclly the same quality as the high end corsair stuff, only cheaper.

this patriot stuff is the closest i could find to the super talent ram i suggested.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220144

there is corsair dominator ram, it'll cost about twice as much as the super talent stuff, although it comes with a pretty good cooler and its definatly high quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145165
!