GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I'm trying to use the System File Checker, but when I enter the
command, a command/DOS type window opens up, remains completely
black/blank, and then dissapears. I'm logged into an account with Admin
rights. I don't know what else to do. Any advice?

gregf@kcls.org wrote:

>I'm trying to use the System File Checker, but when I enter the
>command, a command/DOS type window opens up, remains completely
>black/blank, and then dissapears. I'm logged into an account with Admin
>rights. I don't know what else to do. Any advice?

The SFC needs to be feed with some command-line parameters. Via Start
> Run start CMD.EXE, then type
SFC /?
for details.

--
(tm)

gregf@kcls.org wrote:
> I'm trying to use the System File Checker, but when I enter the
> command, a command/DOS type window opens up, remains completely
> black/blank, and then dissapears. I'm logged into an account with
> Admin rights. I don't know what else to do. Any advice?

Open a command prompt first, or open the Run command and type
"cmd.exe[enter key]". In the opened command window, type "sfc
/scannow[enter key]. If there is no folder i386 on the boot drive, have
your install CD handy.

Blair

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> gregf@kcls.org wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to use the System File Checker, but when I enter the
> >command, a command/DOS type window opens up, remains completely
> >black/blank, and then dissapears. I'm logged into an account with Admin
> >rights. I don't know what else to do. Any advice?
>
> The SFC needs to be feed with some command-line parameters. Via Start
> > Run start CMD.EXE, then type
> SFC /?
> for details.
>
> --
> (tm)
So you see a list of details- What happens then?
I always thought that in XP SFC was replaced by CHKDSK?
Blair

No, you are confusing two different programs. chkdsk replaced scandisk.

sfc does not check the integrity of the filesystem, but of the system files.
It scans for corrupted system files and does repairs as needed. It is much
more complicated than that, of course, but that is the general idea.