Sign in with
Your question

I love Minnesota!

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2006 3:21:26 PM

Had to take an evening's break from studying for finals so I set my rig up in the window of my dorm and did some OCing.

Could boot into windows @ 4.4ghz but any attempt to bench crashed.

I don't know what temp my 1/5 Zerex 4/5 Distilled water will freeze at so I didn't push it to far. It isn't even that cold outside right now, I walk to class in a t-shirt and sandals still :p 

It was about -2C outside and my radiator was actually hanging out the window completely with a box fan on low blowing into the open side of my case.

Anyone know roughly what temp my 20% Zerex water will freeze at? I want to push it further when the weather cooperates and dips much lower but am nervous about ice destroying my pump 8O

Edit: Damnit I hate photobucket. My 1680 x 1050 desktop would require a "pro" account to upload. Imageshack doesn't work for me, every time I upload it times out. Anyone know of an easy to use uploading site that can take 1680 x 1050 screenies?

More about : love minnesota

December 13, 2006 4:04:10 PM

OooOOoO where do you go to school? I'm from MN too =)

BTW I have no clue the answer to your question haha.
December 13, 2006 4:10:27 PM

GO FLAMES GO !!! GO FLAMES GO !!! GOOOOOOO FLAMES !
Related resources
December 13, 2006 4:17:16 PM

Aye even this morning (31F) I was wearing my fall jacket. It's really nice out today hehe.
December 13, 2006 4:19:19 PM

I go to school at Hamline University in St. Paul but am from Red Wing.

Comptia: I was born in Texas and moved when I was 3 or 4 so I am lucky I didn't get stuck there. I hate the heat and am glad I live here.

-24C is easily attained but I'm sure my D805 @ 4.4+ will be able to put enough heat into the water to keep it flowing :) 

My motherboard is probably going to be a limit soon, and my lack of NB voltage options. Not too scared of toasting my CPU as when it happens I will have a good reason to get a E6400 or 4400? if they are out by then.
December 13, 2006 4:23:16 PM

Awe Well I plan on moving to MN or OR, or anywhere where there is Snow, Rain, and no STUPID 100F heat with full head on SunRay blasting away at my face.

There snow in NM eh?
December 13, 2006 4:31:11 PM

There is a little snow here. But we do get those 110F days in the summer too. :cry:  Just not every damn day!
December 13, 2006 4:34:15 PM

OH in that case... MN is out of the question. I guess Vancouver is my next option.
December 13, 2006 4:37:44 PM

Yea snow accumulation here has been kindof a problem in the last couple years. I doubt we'll have a white-christmas. I miss the 6' snow drifts *sigh*
December 13, 2006 4:50:38 PM

Quote:
At a 20% mixture, it freezes at exactly -12F.
Because I do not claim to be a walking encyclopedia

Also, Good for you. I'm in NM and people never stop asking me why i dont have a coat on. ITS CAUSE ITS ONLY 40F OUTSIDE. Its summer almost.

That is for a 40%mix. Trying to follow the curve I see, it should be that when the water hits around 10 to 0f that a 20% mix freezes, I would up the Zerex mixture to 40% if you are wanting to get as close to vapo-chill as you can, but you have to think, that is water temperature... At 4.4ghz the heat generation of a Smithfield would require a substantially colder ambient temperature to freeze the water with a standard 80mm fan / rad...

And I agree... Being in CA it irritates me when people think it is cold at like 60... I wear T-Shirts and Jeans at this time of year (no coat) when I am visiting my in-laws in Anchorage, except on the mild days when it goes below zero. It's not even brisk until it hits the teens or low twenties and I run the AC even in winter to survive this scorching California heat.
December 13, 2006 5:20:14 PM

Yeah I noticed the 40% too after I made my post. I have a dual 120mm rad with 1/2 ID tubing and no reservoir just a T-line. I will just have to monitor the coolant and if ice crystals start to form shut down.

My sister lived in San Diego for a few years and when I went to visit her (December two years ago) we walked her dogs down to the beach and I went for a long swim and the water was great. Little cool, but the initial dive was the only part that was anything but refreshing.

But no joke, by the time I came out about 30 minutes later, I looked up and there were a few people staring at me like I was insane or something, they were wearing sweatshirts and winter hats and stuff lol.

Another funny, unrelated to anything computer is from my Cultural Ecology class. A freshman from South Carolina walks in on the first chilly morning (40ish F) when the day before was like 80F and he was wearing snow pants, a puffy winter coat, a hat, mittens and a face warmer. He then saw my shorts and sandals and said something like "You are insane! I hope it doesn't get much colder than this!" We all just looked at him and shook our heads.
December 13, 2006 5:30:50 PM

Believe it or not... When I was working at Subway sandwiches, I used to eat lunch in the walkin freezer @ -22F. Was great as long as I didnt touch anything to the metal polls.

Now I hate anything above 75-80F.
December 13, 2006 6:03:20 PM

If you want messed up winter spend a year in Ottawa. between winter and summer there can be a 100 degree temperature difference (thats Celsius not Fahrenheit).

Last winter it dipped down to -43 with the wind chill and this summer peaked around +45 Celsius :)  we just don't know what temp to stick with i guess :) 

We also don't get a lot of snow anymore, just ungodly amounts of ice and freezing rain. It's really miserable in Ottawa in the winter.

I wonder how far i could cool a computer if it was 70% antifreezing and minus 45 outside :) 
December 13, 2006 6:08:11 PM

Same thing goes for MN yo. I've seen 120F days here and -35F as well without windchill. Kindof gives you the best of all the world. Cold winters (well not lately), hot summers, and some nice in-betweens :) 
December 13, 2006 6:49:44 PM

Man in Vancouver, the hottest it will normally ever get here is maybe 33C and usually in the summer its no hotter than 28C or so. In the winter, at night, it can get below 0C sometimes, usually not though. And if you love rain, boy don't even get me started...
December 13, 2006 6:51:27 PM

About your problem with uploading pictures to photobucket, simply choose the size setting as "1 MB size" and save your files as a png, if those are too big just use a .jpeg
December 13, 2006 6:51:38 PM

Did any condensation in the cpu water block? I did try that last winter and hang out my entire PC out the window. Got 10c and didn't have any condensation for the whole pc was outside and there's no humidity out at freezing temp. Sadly my 840 only overclock to 4Ghz but at 10c and since I didn't go pass 1.55vcore which is the safe limit.
December 13, 2006 9:26:09 PM

The only place I had any condensation was on the tubing in the stub of the T-line. It was extremely minor and only because the fan wasn't blowing on it at all and that third of my case was right above the wall radiators that heat our room. It's nice because it keeps the harddrives warm.

My D805 only hits 4.1 @ 1.55v at normal temps but got it to 4.2 @ 1.55, but I think that is because the NB was cooler, not the CPU.

I will probably sack up and do a run at 1.65v or so, knowing that I am upgrading somewhat soon anyway, just to see if I can hit any respectable numbers. I am trying to find a cheap Cedar Mill Celeron to have some fun with (347, 352, 356, 360, 365) if anyone has one they want to pawn off :) 

Thanks Sagekilla for the photobucket tip! Will try it when I need to upload a pic again.
December 14, 2006 2:26:44 PM

Quote:
Anyone know of an easy to use uploading site that can take 1680 x 1050 screenies?

Picbin.com if you can keep the total size under 2MB. Just Photoshop them down a bit in "Save For Web..." if you have to.

As for snow, I was brought up in it. You can keep it all. When my pickup truck died 16 miles from the nearest gas station in the middle of the night in -37C and blizzard conditions, I gave up on living in places that got the white stuff. :x
December 14, 2006 2:28:18 PM

thread hijacker hijacker jacking hijacked jacked jackets.
December 14, 2006 2:38:00 PM

This thread was going nowhere anyway. Until Chuck finds out how much condensation I had, it will remain going in the direction it is.
December 14, 2006 2:41:41 PM

I guess, so that makes hijacking okey?
December 14, 2006 2:46:23 PM

I live in Apple Valley MN :) 

The weather has been really warm this week.. Start of the month was record cold though for December.

Lets see how ya sing the tune mid Febuary or into March.. that generally is pretty brutal. Remember the huge halloween snowstorm we had ? yuck..

Cute idea with the radiator out the window. Your a college kid.. and your not afraid of blowing up your machine? kudos.. when I was in college I was very POOR.. I was a ramen noodle eating machine. So props on risking the machine.. gutsy!

I have a E6700 on an Asus P5W mainboard and I am trying to get the guts to do my 1st overclock.. it confuses me a bit. Very comp savy, but I work in an infrastructure role (projects, deployments, servers etc etc)

If your willing to help a local maybe we could chat on the horn sometime.
December 14, 2006 3:17:12 PM

Quote:
There is a little snow here. But we do get those 110F days in the summer too. :cry:  Just not every damn day!

I miss Minnesota. I used to live in North Dakota, just south of Fargo. A cousin of mine had a house by a lake in Minnesota and I'd head over there every chance I got. The fishing was great and the weather was just right, at least for me.

Now I live in Nevada. Freaking hot in the summer, sometimes colder than North Dakota in the winter, and wind that never, ever stops. I think there are only two good things about Nevada; leaving it, and my ex-wife doesn't live here.
December 14, 2006 3:28:54 PM

GUYS , the topic is Overclocking using mixtures of antifreeze, NOT MINNESOTA

Get back on track or the ban stick comes out to beat you.

Joking.

Im just jellous of your temps. Its 50F here, and im hot.
December 14, 2006 3:42:36 PM

Just drop me a PM if you have any questions. Read wusy's sticky and take it from there.

I remember that snowstorm, I was about (4?) years old and my mom pulled me in a sled trick-or-treating. I dressed as a pumpkin :p 

As the OP of the thread, I will allow any weather related randomness regarding cold and anything about Minnesota! 8)

Love this state. I have a cabin on a Spirit Lake, about 45 minutes north of Mille Lacs. I spend as much time as I can afford up there and in the boundary waters.
December 14, 2006 4:47:16 PM

live in Minnetonka, work in Eden Prairie
where I am now,,, waiting for a update on
data base,,then back to work,,,
December 14, 2006 5:19:59 PM

Quote:
thread hijacker hijacker jacking hijacked jacked jackets.

I think you've been snorting too many of your Wankel fumes, dude.

That's the very first time I've seen an accusation of thread hijacking that quoted and provided an answer to the original post of the OP!

Quote:
Anyone know of an easy to use uploading site that can take 1680 x 1050 screenies?

Picbin.com if you can keep the total size under 2MB. Just Photoshop them down a bit in "Save For Web..." if you have to.

As for snow, I was brought up in it. You can keep it all. When my pickup truck died 16 miles from the nearest gas station in the middle of the night in -37C and blizzard conditions, I gave up on living in places that got the white stuff. :x

That was always the problem with Wankels. Too many damn emissions. Looks like you might be overdue in desmogging your brain! :lol: 
December 14, 2006 5:25:00 PM

Hay my car is gas effecient. ROFL.

17mpg is worth it to drive this car. Great car. Would upgrade to an Esprit if I had the chance, but for less then 60k, the rx8 is a great car.
December 14, 2006 5:31:25 PM

I would love one, for the summers...

Not interested in one for downtown St. Paul in mid January. :D 
December 14, 2006 5:35:21 PM

With proper tires, the car drives great in ice since it has many stability control systems.... as far as depth of snow, ya your right, wouldnt want to rust the nice chrome parts.
December 14, 2006 5:56:02 PM

Quote:
Hay my car is gas effecient. ROFL.

17mpg is worth it to drive this car. Great car. Would upgrade to an Esprit if I had the chance, but for less then 60k, the rx8 is a great car.

17mpg? Al Gore should beat you over the head with a stick! You're using up more energy than some third world countries. Buy a moped! :lol: 

P.S. Who's hijacking now? This aint got nuthin' to do with OC, Cold, Picbin or sweet dick all... :?
December 14, 2006 5:59:57 PM

as long as you keep the water moving and flowing ie have your computer on

it wont freeze...espically since its getting hot via your CPU
December 14, 2006 6:02:20 PM

Man, stability control is useless in the snow, at least when on a hill, which is everywhere around where I live. It stops the wheels from spinning, and when you are starting on a hill, you wheels just refuse to spin and you end up not moving at all. This happened in my friend's new RX8 actually, he had just bought it a couple of days before. Once the stability control was off, the car was somewhat manageable in the snow (for a rear-wheel car anyways).
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2006 7:49:58 PM

Pretty cool! /pun

In Montreal the weather is pretty crazy, I might actually do some sub 0 air benching for fun when I am bored =), We get something like -30c/40c once a winter dunno if I will actually try it that day though =)

As a side note, if you have a google (gmail) account, I suggest you use PicasaWeb , pretty cool you have 250meg and you can upload any pics you want, if you are interested and no account PM me for an invite!
December 14, 2006 8:08:21 PM

LOL. You see hes movie? Wasnt bad, but hes charging 30 bucks for a movie without a plastic DVD cover. Cheap bastard.

If he wasnt people to understand global warming.... make the movie affordable...dont try to capitalize.

And man isnt causing global warming....
December 14, 2006 8:40:09 PM

Quote:
LOL. You see hes movie? Wasnt bad, but hes charging 30 bucks for a movie without a plastic DVD cover. Cheap bastard.

If he wasnt people to understand global warming.... make the movie affordable...dont try to capitalize.

Yeah, its those damn cows and their crazy C02 output....
December 14, 2006 8:45:35 PM

methane... methane output... and its not as much as you think.
December 14, 2006 10:10:54 PM

*EDIT*

I have proof:

Quote:

We need to get the AMD and Intel guys on the global warming issue, trying to create a device that neutralizes Cow Methane - Cows farting and doing their buisness accounts for 50% of the C02 emissions, not a Pentium 4

And its on the internet (and not on wikipedia) so it must be true.

LINKAGE!!
December 15, 2006 2:48:38 AM

Heh, I am a Criminal Justice/Forensic Science, Anthropology double major and just took a class regarding environmental studies...don't get me started on global warming :p 
December 15, 2006 5:01:02 AM

Quote:

methane... methane output... and its not as much as you think.

It's a standard procedure now to raise funds for a Presidential bid. Make a movie. Hillary is coming out with a movie too. Elton John has written the music for it. It's called "The Bitch Is Back!"

Look, if humanity was really serious about minimizing methane output, the first thing they would do is ban me from eating chili!

:lol: 
December 15, 2006 5:38:17 AM

Lemme guess, Freddy Mercury is making a return from the dead appearance to sing with Elton and have some drinks after the show...which leads to... 8O
December 15, 2006 6:34:30 AM

Quote:
Lemme guess, Freddy Mercury is making a return from the dead appearance to sing with Elton and have some drinks after the show...which leads to... 8O

Yes, the truth is out... Freddie and Elton had a love child!

It's...

Richard Simmons!!!

December 15, 2006 11:50:57 AM

Way too lazy to read it all, but I'll say this... TEXAS FTW.

Only thing Minnesota has is the Little House on the Prarie and skinny cattle...

MMMMMM BBQ...
December 15, 2006 12:18:52 PM

Quote:
Way too lazy to read it all, but I'll say this... TEXAS FTW.

Only thing Minnesota has is the Little House on the Prarie and skinny cattle...

MMMMMM BBQ...

"Holy dog sh!t. Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck d***s?"

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Full Metal Jacket - Stanley Kubrick (1987)

Just kiddin' Doughbuy. I'd do anything right now to be scarfin' down a burrito at Ruchi's Mexican Grill on Westheimer. God Bless Texas!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 2:12:59 PM

hehe, came out pretty harsh, even with the J/K

8)

Still : Lol , brokeback mountain? unh? who said that!?
December 15, 2006 2:33:08 PM

We have the Mall of America!
December 15, 2006 3:20:13 PM

Quote:
hehe, came out pretty harsh, even with the J/K

8)

Still : Lol , brokeback mountain? unh? who said that!?

Nah, Doughbuy knows I'm a good ole boy and:

As for the Brokeback, you were probably thinking about what I had said in the:

Really insane XXX thread

Where we were all writing one phrase of a story. Mine was:

[...]my new full tower, where I greased up the DVD slot with the vaseline, propped the photo of the Win Logo, fantasized about Bill Gates and I in the tent on Brokeback Mountain, which immediately turned my floppy into a hard drive and I began to frantically RAM that slot at 2GHz[...]

December 15, 2006 4:02:12 PM

I resign my position as the OP of this thread... :oops: 
!