RAID 0, Diskerror - port 2 - Yet it's still running

Ok...

I was playing Guild Wars and all the sudden the game froze up. The hard drive LED was going mad(solid)... just assumed the game was gonna crash out or lag for a page filing. It never came back....So i just hit power....no go....reset

At this time on the Intel Matrix Storage Manager screen i see one disk(on port 2) as error and not normal. The array is still showing as normal. Boot into windows(its alive).

Once loaded i get a message from the intel matrix storage manager telling me my array is failing and to back-up. Done
No files seem corrupt or anything....even when back and played some more Guild Wars : Nightfall without a problem....

I drive in question is undergoing testing(WDC250 - sata 1) and so far is not showing any errors in WDC's software?

Would a bad cable cause the drive to do this? and if so, when will the intel controller unflag this drive? Is there a way to reset it? It's only my windows/game drive to s rebuild is an option.

Thanks in adavance for any help.....

See specs in sig
plese note i am at stock and not OC'd as i never saw an difference in the games i run..was oced for a month at best....

Unfortuantly there is no way to unflag a drive (that I know of). What WD software is looking for are SMART errors which are recored internaly inside the drive, and those can not be cleared (again, as far as i know of, though there are SMART tools out there).

As for the software, I use Matrox software for my raid at home and those errors errors could be generated any number of ways, even if the driver poops out.

I would run the array as normal (after testing it with appropreate software) and let the error stay in log. As long as the software lets it function properly, and doesnt bug you, and the hard drives are good, I wouldnt worry about it.

To answer your last question though, No. If a cable goes bad, it will stay bad and cause ALL kinds of trouble untill its replaced.

Well after testing the drive on another computer with no errors....and SMART showing all good... wow 11400 hours on..

All things show the drive in great shape....so i resintalled it to have the intel matrix tell me that its an unknown disk...BASTARDS!!!
May test it running it and giving the cable a tug to see if it make this happen....i know my old promise fast track just did not care if it came unplugged as long as you pluged it back in quick it would never skip a beat.......

Ohhh well time to rebuild and look into raid 5.... eat that failure...

Any PCI-E 1x raid 5 hardware based cards? maybe use my second 16x slot @ 8x...

Well thanks for the quick reply Comptia_Rep...Also where you just joking about the 30fps thing? cause it did look like you meant it......funny when i look back at it....

c'mon... since windows 95 the benchmark for video cards have always been the frames persecond the card can achieve. If ALL games were capped at 30fps, then the lastest and greatest tech would used to play games would be meaningless.

Yes, I am joking, though there are games capped at 60fps, more common on consoles though.

Fantasy Star Online is capped @ 30 yet it runs great that way
GTA : SA's 25 is a bit much...but it can be turned off
After a rebuild it's not giving that...but i am gonna have to keep an eye on this one...Unplugging the drive to replicate if this may have been a cable issue just restarts the computer....so time will tell.

How bad(slow) do you think raid 5 would be in software?