Slang on articles.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
It would be nice if Tom's would please refrain from using region-specific slang in their articles. It makes it more difficult for us who do not live where the slang originates from.

A member clarified for me what 2.5 benjamins is. As i am not familiar with the faces of US Currency, it defeats the purpose of writing an article because people would not be able to understand that.

We all don't live in the United States, and we all don't speak english natively.

We understand if US Currency is involved, we can convert that ourselves through various websites, but Slang doesn't work for all of us.

Thank you.

tecmo34

Administrator
Thanks for the suggestion.

I passed the comment on to powers to be for their consideration. It does bring up a good point of the translation of "slang" from one country to another country.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Marco,

Thanks for the note. On occasion, we do try to add more "flowery" vocabulary to mix things up a bit, but it is kept in check for the most part. We don't want to sound too casual, after all ;-)

If ever you have any question on the meaning of a phrase, feel free to just ask--I'm generally lurking in the comments section or on Twitter and happy to help.

Thanks Marco,
Chris

I have often been forced to add to the comment gone West (real meaning - packed up, gone wrong, broken down, etc. ) gone South in the US for fear of being misunderstood by the Stateside readers. :D

There's probably a whole threadful of amusing anecdotes to be found in all the different languages natively spoken by Tom's posters.