What does 'CPU INIT' mean on Striker Extreme LCD?

puki

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I've had a saga getting a PC - forget about the saga though:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=445275#445275

The PC has an Asus Striker Extreme mobo.

When I first turned on this new computer, it wouldn't boot - the system is getting power, the keyboard wasn't though. The fans and LEDs all work, it just didn't boot.

Googling made me aware people have had a problem with this 'CPU INIT' message with regard to booting too. However, this system has (apparantly) passed QC - it is not something I built myself.

Anybody know what the actual cause of 'CPU INIT' is - I assumed it was CPU Initialising and wondered if (bizarreley enough) the CPU had to 'warm up' before it lets the system boot.

I did actually get it to boot twice to windows and was working - the first time I used it for several hours and it worked fine. It switched on okay the following day. However, I left the PC unattended for about 5 minutes and came back to find it had powered down but the mobo was all lit up - it then went back through the booting problems.

I just got it to boot after ages and ages of trying - it made it into Windows but locked up in Windows. Now I can't get it to boot again.

It has a 700W Tagan dual engine PSU and the CPU is a Core 2 Duo 6600 - 2 x 1GB or Corsair RAM, XFX 8800 GTX.

I would have thought a 700W PSU should be okay?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
700W is ok.

CPU init is CPU initialisation as you guessed. It should pass extremely quickly however, I'm talking under a second.

The fact that it isn't, or is only passing sometimes, indicates a CPU or Motherboard fault.

Cyberpower (UK and US) are notorious for bad customer service and glaring errors tbh :/

puki

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
The odd thing is, it has booted 4 times to Windows. The first time I managed to get it to boot I was playing games on it for around 5 hours. It just seems an odd problem to me - as I have not poked around inside the case, I just basically turned it fully off and then tried turning back on (and repeating).

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
700 watts are ok as long as the specs are good (rail wise) and its true power not its rated power. Course with off brand PSU's thats normaly true that both those are vastly over rated.

Also it could be a bad PSU it sounds more like a bad PSU more then anything else from the small description you gave.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I've had a saga getting a PC - forget about the saga though:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=445275#445275

The PC has an Asus Striker Extreme mobo.

When I first turned on this new computer, it wouldn't boot - the system is getting power, the keyboard wasn't though. The fans and LEDs all work, it just didn't boot.

Googling made me aware people have had a problem with this 'CPU INIT' message with regard to booting too. However, this system has (apparantly) passed QC - it is not something I built myself.

Anybody know what the actual cause of 'CPU INIT' is - I assumed it was CPU Initialising and wondered if (bizarreley enough) the CPU had to 'warm up' before it lets the system boot.

I did actually get it to boot twice to windows and was working - the first time I used it for several hours and it worked fine. It switched on okay the following day. However, I left the PC unattended for about 5 minutes and came back to find it had powered down but the mobo was all lit up - it then went back through the booting problems.

I just got it to boot after ages and ages of trying - it made it into Windows but locked up in Windows. Now I can't get it to boot again.

It has a 700W Tagan dual engine PSU and the CPU is a Core 2 Duo 6600 - 2 x 1GB or Corsair RAM, XFX 8800 GTX.

I would have thought a 700W PSU should be okay?

I will bet that at least one of these things are the cause of the problem:

Make sure you're not overclocking (at least until you get it working properly without first).

Make sure ram speed and timing settings in the bios are correct for your installed memory. Dont trust auto-detection or at least doublecheck what settings it guessed at.

Make sure you have the 4 or 8 pin cpu power connector properly plugged into the motherboard.

Make sure your motherboard has the latest bios available from the asus website.

puki

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Make sure you have the 4 or 8 pin cpu power connector properly plugged into the motherboard.

Indeed that was the problem. I have since sent the PC back to CyberPower and asked for a refund.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/451/composite20061214141309so2.png

The connector was not properly in and, in fact, it was being bent upwards by the heatpipe - putting strain on the ATX12V mobo connector. Just look at the above picture link.

To be honest, I consider the heatpipe on the Asus Striker Extreme to be too close to this connector. On mine, it actually invades the space of the ATX12V mobo connector.

The problem I had was that CyberPower would have been aware of this and still sent it out to me.

puki

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I just found new information:

In my PC, CyberPower only connected the 4 pin to the ATX12V. I found a post on the Asus forums saying the 8 pin must be connected to the ATX12V if using a dual core PC:

Here is that thread:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20061214040418890&SLanguage=en-us&page=1&board_id=1&model=Striker%20Extreme

I've since sent my PC back for a refund as, at the end of the day, I paid CyberPower extra money for a 'professional wiring' job. I believe that they would have had problems with this system and it was known to have failed QC at least once. My system was built on 24/11 but I did not receive it until 12/12 to find the problems with getting it to boot.

pukas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Problems with Asus Striker Extreme RESOLVED!! I'd the same errors as everyone with the MB, tried everything I saw from Inet and the solution came isolating de box from the MB...yes, nothing about reseting, taking out the battery or similar, i simply put isolating tape on the screw holes where the MB lies and everything works!! as silly as that...thanks to LHDLE!

Problemas con la Asus Striker RESUELTOS!! tenia los mismos problemas que la mayoria con la placa, no arrancaba, cpu init error, etc...probe todas las soluciones que vi por Internet y al final la solucion fue tan tonta como aislar bien la placa de la caja, mi caja no traia ningun tipo de material para aislarlo asi que pense que no hacia falta pero me equivocaba, simplemente puse cinta aislante en los agujeros donde van los tornillos y listo! Espero que a alguien le ayude