New webcam question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 23, 2004 5:21:39 AM

I have a webcam and am trying to set it up with ftp . The question i have
is:As these pictures are loaded to the webserver,how do you delete "old"
stuff so that I dont keeep piling it up.Do any of these software programs
delete content for you?Sound silly,right?
Thanks
Mike

More about : webcam question

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:21:40 AM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:21:39 GMT, "MikeP" <none@none.com> wrote:

>I have a webcam and am trying to set it up with ftp . The question i have
>is:As these pictures are loaded to the webserver,how do you delete "old"
>stuff so that I dont keeep piling it up.Do any of these software programs
>delete content for you?Sound silly,right?
>Thanks
>Mike

ConquerCam uses a 'counter' feature. You can set it to say, 20, so
that no more than 20 pictures are on your server (or 40 if you enable
thumbnails) at any one time, then the counter resets to 0. What seems
to happen, seems being the operative word, is that, in my application,
0.jpg is the file that is always uploaded while all of the other files
on the server, 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, etc. are incremented by 1. In
other words 1.jpg becomes 2.jpg, etc. The software does this
automatically.

My app: http://rd_musc.tripod.com/webcam/thumbs.html

Even though I display only 20, I send up to 99, so I have a little
history which more than can be displayed on this page. I just
download all files with FTP client if I suspect anything going on.

ConquerCam: http://www.theill.com/conquercam/

Rich M.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:23:51 AM

MikeP <none@none.com> spewed:
> I have a webcam and am trying to set it up with ftp . The question i
> have is:As these pictures are loaded to the webserver,how do you
> delete "old" stuff so that I dont keeep piling it up.Do any of these
> software programs delete content for you?Sound silly,right?
> Thanks
> Mike

I use a program called Homewatcher. ( www.homewatcher.com )

It will generate the HTML for your webcam page, as well as upload
thumbnails, history images, full size images, and time lapse video created
from however many webcam captures that you'd like. It uses FTP, so it works
well with most personal web spaces... there are just buttloads of
options - I really can't say enough about this program. :)

You can see it in use at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/webcam/index.html

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

Well the way that I want my streamline to work it would be a simple matter of
when uploading the new image (provided that it has the same filename) that will
automatically delete/be replaced with the new image.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"
December 25, 2004 6:27:43 PM

"MikeP" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>I have a webcam and am trying to set it up with ftp . The question i have
> is:As these pictures are loaded to the webserver,how do you delete "old"
> stuff so that I dont keeep piling it up.Do any of these software programs
> delete content for you?Sound silly,right?
> Thanks
> Mike

They don't 'pile up'. The one image is replaced and overwritten by another
one with the same filename, so there is only ever 'one' image in your FTP
upload folder.
!