AGP DirectX 10 capable card??

vannguyen0

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Do you think there will be an AGP card that will support DirectX 10??

I have a capable AMD XP 3200+ (Barton - Socket A) w/ 3GB of RAM (DDR 333). It's still a very "capable" machine that's running my Windows XP MCE. I'm interested in trying out Vista, but didn't want to have to upgrade everything (but if I buy another AGP video card, I should just upgrade the whole box... but then it's spending either $100 for video card or $600 for new system - sorry don't mind me... talking to myselft again).

Anyways... what do you guys think?

Ryan_D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I doubt it, considering that they didn't make AGP versions of the top-of-the-line cards.

Even if they did, they'd cost a fortune, and you'd be better off upgrading to a PCI-E mobo and possibly other components if necessary. When the G84 comes out or R600 you'll probably find some good DX10 cards.

The best AGP card I can think of right now is the X1950PRO and that's DX9.

Sakaris

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I'm in a similar situation and I think we're both out of luck. DX10 is going to require Windows Vista, and I believe one of the "soft" requirements of Vista is a motherboard with PCIe. As capable as a barton core athlon XP may be, you're going to be seriously CPU limited even with a higher end DX9 card. Long gone are the days of a fast $100 video card as well :cry: .