What wireless product needed to integrate wired/wireless??

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hi everybody. I have cable internet. It comes in from the wall, goes through the cable modem, and then into a NetGear wired router. That NetGear wired router then shares the connection with three (3) Dell Dimensions, directly into the RJ-45 port of each Dimension. (Each Dimension is within a few feet of the wired router, and all of the equipment mentioned so far is in the basement.)

Well my wife has gone and bought a laptop, and it is capable of receiving wireless internet with its onboard hardware. She wants to be able to receive a wireless broadcast upstairs in the bedroom.

I do have one free and available port on my wired router (3 of 4 outbound are used right now).

What product do I need to be able to broadcast internet to my bedroom upstairs, and still keep the three Dimensions on a wired router downstairs? (Or am I oversimplifying here?) Thank you.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You will need to add a Access Point. (WPA)

I am using a USR 5450 AP connected to a 8 port router. This units comes with two 5 dbi High gain antennas. This is the key to getting a good connection. Going through walls and floors can greatly reduce the signal strength. I am able to cover my whole house with the unit on low power. Going through floors can be hard.