Is there any Dual-Core Socket 754 processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakaris

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
This is a bit of a shot in the dark for someone too broke for a major upgrade at the moment, but does anyone know of any dual core processor for socket 754? Figured I may as well give it a shot.

Thanks

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Whilst AMD theoretically could put together a DC Socket 754 chip, they wouldn't do it as it would cannibalise sales from their higher-margin lines.

Sorry!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Whilst AMD theoretically could put together a DC Socket 754 chip, they wouldn't do it as it would cannibalise sales from their higher-margin lines.

I've wondered about that too. I could never really understand what the extra 185 pins are for. Window-dressing? An artificial reason to upgrade? Some gobblekeedook feature that six people understand and less care?

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I think there is none.. actually I read they will phase out s939 and s754.. s939 was already lucky to have dual core processors.. Next year AMD will be almost all AM2.. too bad s754 and s939 only lived for around 2 years

ASRock has a board named the K8Upgrade-NF3.. it has a CPU upgrade module that lets s939 and 754 to have AM2 CPUs with 2 slots for DDR2 memory so I guess you can already install multi core AMDs in that.. but the board still uses AGP on its graphics though so its probably not worth buying either

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>extra 185 pins

It's because the Socket 754 chips have a single-channel memory controller built-in, and the Socket 939 chips have a dual-channel memory controller built in.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
ASRock has a board named the K8Upgrade-NF3.. it has a CPU upgrade module that lets s939 and 754 to have AM2 CPUs with 2 slots for DDR2 memory so I guess you can already install multi core AMDs in that.. but the board still uses AGP on its graphics though so its probably not worth buying either

I had one of those MBs!!! Ran an Athlon 64 3200 on it. It had a big yellow daughterboard slot. I bought it before the 939 chips came out and figured I was future-proofed. When the daughterboard became available it was priced about $10 below that of a full 939 MB. Big fat deal!

>extra 185 pins

It's because the Socket 754 chips have a single-channel memory controller built-in, and the Socket 939 chips have a dual-channel memory controller built in.

Thanks for the info. That makes it even less likely that AMD is going to put a dual onto a 754, even if they were crazy enough to think about it... which I wouldn't put past them! :lol:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
no, there are no s754 dualcore CPUs.

Do you know if AMD intends on introducing any dualcores for Super Socket 7? Might just fit into their new "support mental health or I'll kill you" marketing! :lol:

Super Socket7 has nothing to do with s754. Super Socket7 was K62-3 days.

That's a yolk, son... Have any problems reading? :lol:

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
AMD will never make a 754 with dual core. Noting that the 754 was used for the Turion but that they moved the Turion to a different socket when it went dual core. This tells me that the 754 simply is not capable of multicore.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
All of you who think that dualcore K8 needs more than 754 pins are wrong!
s754 has more than enough pins to have dual channel DDR2.
The package is irelevant for the cores count.
Socket S1 has 638 pins and is handling dualchannel DDR2 memory. The Turion X2 are dualcores and are socket S1.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Its not the AMOUNT of pins that counts, its how you use them...[/bad english accent]

No really, socket 754 was never designed to support the power or the memory controller or any of the numerous advances that are inherent with AMD's dual-cores. The fact that S1 is 638 pins attests to this fact. I'm no expert on how the pins are laid out, but I guarantee that there are very few pins that go to the same places between 754 and S1. Now, it is my belief that the 939 socket is just a modified 754 socket with extra pins for the dual channel memory controller, extra power, and other things that were modified between 754 and 939.

Like I said, its not how many, its how they're used.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I always sale what i had before, then paey the difference for the upgrade. For instance, i had a socket 939 3200 with 1 gig of memory, i held off getting a x2 because i knew am2 was coming, so i sold the motherboard, a cpu, and a tower case with a old dvd burner to 1 guy for 250 dollars, and i sold a the gig of memory to the other guy for a hundred bucks. For the am2 I paid 200 for the cpu, 130 for the mobo, and 200 for the memory (after rebate) so my upgrade was 180 bucks for a new system, perhaps you can do the same.

G

hello! i was wondering if s754 does not support dual core processors,then which is the best processor for754s??

randomizer

Champion

+1

Socket 754 wasn't much good compared to Socket 939 (funnily though it went EOL after 939 while also being older), and you're probably better off saving the cash for a cheap full-system upgrade. Almost any modern CPU will beat anything you can put into a s754 motherboard, except Atom. :lol:

EDIT: Probably would have been better to start another thread, as this one is bound to get the necro card soon enough. At least you didn't just respond to one of the 2006 posts with some "advice" like what usually happens.

parmak

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

well that's the popular opinion...
exactly what does socket939 have that lacks socket754?
a dual chanel memory controler. wow! you realy should notice the improvement when browsing the internet.

the most slugish electronic part of the computer is RAM, and everyone knows CPU has advanced a multitude of times since the early days of computers in comparison to RAM. so, faster RAM access is a must! everyone back then talking about 939 beeing a must if you are a serious person et cetera, et cetera... the analog of thalking that vista/win7 is far more superior to xp/win2000.

now let's see things from another perspective.
not so long ago before the AMD 64 line of processors there was the socket A brand and in that times the memory controler was part of the chipset.
nevertheless Nvidia had a single chanel and a dual chanel version of their famous nForce2 chipset. it was strange that in very CPU intense tasks (i.e. games) single chanel motherboards were better than dual chanel.
for instance Soltek NV400-L64 vs all other dual chanel profesional ooga-booga motherboards.

about the time that we were speaking, not so far in the past, the time of 939 vs 754 let's take a example of a distinctive core of procesor.
ah, and let's not forget the fact that 754 processors were cheaper that their exactly rated 939 "big" brothers.
the Venice AMD 64 core 3200+
socket939 2000MHz
socket754 2200MHz

yeah... and which processor do you think will come out first when encoding DVD 2 xvid? not to say when you have some bad looking video meterial and you apply noise filters and suddenly the time to encode jumps from 1h to 8h, because of the intense processing.
ofcourse the socekt939 3200+ Venice will surf the internet smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.