Closed

Outdoor webcam - options?

Hi,

I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.

I assume:

(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
cable.

(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.

Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?

I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
out to sea.

TIA

Dave R
8 answers Last reply
More about outdoor webcam options

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:26 +0000, David WE Roberts
    <nospam@talk21.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
    >
    >I assume:
    >
    >(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    >cable.
    >
    >(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
    >(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
    >
    >I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
    >out to sea.

    You probably need to look at the analog security cams. Most can
    be used as webcams when used with computers with webcam programs
    and capture cards/devices. Analog cam video signals can be run on
    cat3 phone wire for fairly long distances. Below are some
    sources.

    http://www.supercircuits.com/
    http://www.matco.com/
    http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    http://www.polarisusa.com/

    <nospam@talk21.com> wrote:

    >(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    >cable.

    How long is long?

    I know that the USB spec not all that long (3 or 5m)
    http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5/
    but I have a Logitech QCP4000 with about 8 m of cable (camera [2 m]
    and 2 A/B extensions [4 m and 2 m]) and never had a problem. The
    camera was, until recently, outside and not enclosed, but under a
    large overhanging eave. Now that the temperatures are < -10 C, I
    thought it prudent to bring it indoors, but it ran well at ca - 5C:
    http://home.nycap.rr.com/willowpond/pondcam/

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:22:45 +0000, Si Ballenger wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:26 +0000, David WE Roberts
    > <nospam@talk21.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
    >>
    >>I assume:
    >>
    >>(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    >>cable.
    >>
    >>(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
    >>(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
    >>
    >>I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
    >>out to sea.
    >
    > You probably need to look at the analog security cams. Most can
    > be used as webcams when used with computers with webcam programs
    > and capture cards/devices. Analog cam video signals can be run on
    > cat3 phone wire for fairly long distances. Below are some
    > sources.
    >
    > http://www.supercircuits.com/
    > http://www.matco.com/
    > http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    > http://www.polarisusa.com/

    Thanks for the links.

    Guess I should have included 'UK' somewhere :-)

    I would prefer to have a network based camera (so no dedicated PC on 24/7)
    but analogue or extended USB are possibilities.

    My main problem I think will be the weatherproofing.

    To get the camera up high it will have to be on a mast so it will be very
    exposed.

    Cheers

    Dave R

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:26 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
    >
    > I assume:
    >
    > (1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    > cable.
    >
    > (2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
    > (reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
    >
    > I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
    > out to sea.

    From further reading:

    the camera will be south(ish) facing, so will be getting direct sunlight
    towards the lens during the middle of the day.

    I guess the camera will probably need a diaphragm to reduce the amount of
    light entering the lens.

    Sounding more expensive all the time.

    Cheers

    Dave R
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "David WE Roberts" <nospam@talk21.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
    >
    > I assume:
    >
    > (1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    > cable.
    >
    > (2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
    > (reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
    >
    > I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
    > out to sea.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave R

    I suggest you buy one of these (link below), and mount it inside a
    weatherproof case, and if possible mount an external antenna on the back of
    the camera case (increase its range, due to it being mounted in a metal
    case). These units only require a 7.5v - 9.0v feed to make them do the
    business... Everything else can then be done indoors. I setup such a system
    a year or so ago, and it has been streaming over the net running 24/7 ever
    since. I hope you manage to get it all working OK... If you need any
    further help drop me a line... on this thread. This route cuts down the
    requirement for wires going to the mast or camera location.... These units
    are great and cost very little.

    http://tinyurl.com/3kppo

    Tony
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "David WE Roberts" <nospam@talk21.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
    >
    > I assume:
    >
    > (1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    > cable.
    >
    > (2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
    > (reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
    >
    > I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
    > out to sea.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave R

    The Toshiba 1k-WB11A has 802.11b and CAT5.
    http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/netcam/products/wb11a.htm
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
    >
    >I assume:
    >
    >(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
    >cable.
    >
    >(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
    >(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
    >
    >I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
    >out to sea.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Dave R

    I have a small observatory and I am using a Pansonic KX-HCM230. They are
    pricey. Mine uses Ethernet as the connection, but they also make wireless
    models (802..11b I believe). The camera has it's own webserver built it. It
    can support up to 4 seperate cameras (stills or streaming video). It is
    splash proof (rain snow etc) and the can be controlled (presets, &
    pan/tilt) via the internet. You can see mine at the url below.
    http://www.jatobservatory.org/remotewebcam.html

    -JATO
    http://jatobservatory.org
  8. This topic has been closed by Pyree