Closed

Outdoor webcam - options?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 24, 2004 1:31:26 AM

Hi,

I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.

I assume:

(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
cable.

(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.

Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?

I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
out to sea.

TIA

Dave R

More about : outdoor webcam options

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:22:45 AM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:26 +0000, David WE Roberts
<nospam@talk21.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
>
>I assume:
>
>(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
>cable.
>
>(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
>(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
>
>Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
>
>I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
>out to sea.

You probably need to look at the analog security cams. Most can
be used as webcams when used with computers with webcam programs
and capture cards/devices. Analog cam video signals can be run on
cat3 phone wire for fairly long distances. Below are some
sources.

http://www.supercircuits.com/
http://www.matco.com/
http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
http://www.polarisusa.com/
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:36:24 AM

<nospam@talk21.com> wrote:

>(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
>cable.

How long is long?

I know that the USB spec not all that long (3 or 5m)
http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5/
but I have a Logitech QCP4000 with about 8 m of cable (camera [2 m]
and 2 A/B extensions [4 m and 2 m]) and never had a problem. The
camera was, until recently, outside and not enclosed, but under a
large overhanging eave. Now that the temperatures are < -10 C, I
thought it prudent to bring it indoors, but it ran well at ca - 5C:
http://home.nycap.rr.com/willowpond/pondcam/
December 24, 2004 11:25:15 AM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:22:45 +0000, Si Ballenger wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:26 +0000, David WE Roberts
> <nospam@talk21.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
>>
>>I assume:
>>
>>(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
>>cable.
>>
>>(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
>>(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
>>
>>I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
>>out to sea.
>
> You probably need to look at the analog security cams. Most can
> be used as webcams when used with computers with webcam programs
> and capture cards/devices. Analog cam video signals can be run on
> cat3 phone wire for fairly long distances. Below are some
> sources.
>
> http://www.supercircuits.com/
> http://www.matco.com/
> http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
> http://www.polarisusa.com/

Thanks for the links.

Guess I should have included 'UK' somewhere :-)

I would prefer to have a network based camera (so no dedicated PC on 24/7)
but analogue or extended USB are possibilities.

My main problem I think will be the weatherproofing.

To get the camera up high it will have to be on a mast so it will be very
exposed.

Cheers

Dave R
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 11:34:57 AM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:26 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
>
> I assume:
>
> (1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
> cable.
>
> (2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
> (reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
>
> Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
>
> I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
> out to sea.

From further reading:

the camera will be south(ish) facing, so will be getting direct sunlight
towards the lens during the middle of the day.

I guess the camera will probably need a diaphragm to reduce the amount of
light entering the lens.

Sounding more expensive all the time.

Cheers

Dave R
December 24, 2004 1:34:51 PM

"David WE Roberts" <nospam@talk21.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.23.22.31.25.387253@talk21.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
>
> I assume:
>
> (1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
> cable.
>
> (2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
> (reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
>
> Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
>
> I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
> out to sea.
>
> TIA
>
> Dave R

I suggest you buy one of these (link below), and mount it inside a
weatherproof case, and if possible mount an external antenna on the back of
the camera case (increase its range, due to it being mounted in a metal
case). These units only require a 7.5v - 9.0v feed to make them do the
business... Everything else can then be done indoors. I setup such a system
a year or so ago, and it has been streaming over the net running 24/7 ever
since. I hope you manage to get it all working OK... If you need any
further help drop me a line... on this thread. This route cuts down the
requirement for wires going to the mast or camera location.... These units
are great and cost very little.

http://tinyurl.com/3kppo

Tony
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:44:38 AM

"David WE Roberts" <nospam@talk21.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.23.22.31.25.387253@talk21.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
>
> I assume:
>
> (1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
> cable.
>
> (2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
> (reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
>
> Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
>
> I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
> out to sea.
>
> TIA
>
> Dave R

The Toshiba 1k-WB11A has 802.11b and CAT5.
http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/netcam/products/wb11a.ht...
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:59:13 AM

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've Googled through the archives but not found a definitive answer.
>
>I assume:
>
>(1) I need an Ethernet or WiFi camera because USB will not support a long
>cable.
>
>(2) I will need to build a weatherproof housing because you can't get
>(reasonably priced) webcams that are weatherproof.
>
>Can anyone recommend a camera as the starting point for this project?
>
>I am aiming to mount a camera high up (probably on a TV mast) to get views
>out to sea.
>
>TIA
>
>Dave R

I have a small observatory and I am using a Pansonic KX-HCM230. They are
pricey. Mine uses Ethernet as the connection, but they also make wireless
models (802..11b I believe). The camera has it's own webserver built it. It
can support up to 4 seperate cameras (stills or streaming video). It is
splash proof (rain snow etc) and the can be controlled (presets, &
pan/tilt) via the internet. You can see mine at the url below.
http://www.jatobservatory.org/remotewebcam.html

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
March 28, 2012 7:39:14 AM