Degrading News Quality?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Come on, Tom's. It's time to start actually reading your own articles.
I was just flipping through some of your new News Articles, and I couldn't help but notice the growing number of typos and grammatical errors scattered throughout them. Isn't there anyone at all reading these after they're posted in order to fix or point out errors? It's like nobody cares. And not to be rude to the authors, but when should you ever use internet slang in an article? It just shouldn't be done... I know you guys can do better than this...

Here's a really opinionated statement, but can we cut back on the growing amount of basically pointless 'concept reports'? I know, some people enjoy them, but most don't and they're just being used as filler now for when nobody can find any actual news to report. I know, there aren't always epic events going on that will change history, but we can at least do better than our favorite japanese watch concepts, I hope...

Much appreciated.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Honestly, no, I can't really say that there's one specific article that's repulsively bad. It's just a single typo here and an improperly placed apostrophe there. Trust me, I report bad articles to the news team if I would happen to run across one.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/spacex-falcon-rocket-heavy-rocket-spacex-launch,news-10749.html

Just little things like that - should be "its" instead of "it's" ("it is") at the top of the article. Maybe I worded what I said a little harshly, relatively speaking, but I'm just comparing things to the way they were back a few years ago. Times change I guess, and authors and reports come and go with them. Maybe I'm just extremely picky when it comes to news articles... that's always a possibility. :)

I do apologize for how harsh I made it sound - I wasn't exactly happy at the time I posted that. I'll go back and edit it some so it doesn't make things sound as bad as it does...

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Not a problem. I'll be sure to keep an eye out and pass any problems along, too. Actually, it's been getting noticeably better recently, but I figured I may as well drive the point home. It's really this kind of support that separates Tom's from a lot of the other websites and forums out there... ;)

Appreciate the input. I keep an eye out for such things myself, as I am a writer of sorts. I understand how minor things like that can build up and become irritating over time.