Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Antec 900, bad and good review.

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2006 8:36:49 PM

I stumbled on these user review of the Antec 900, I thought it was very educative and I like user review because they paid for the product and usually have a few expectation that should match yours. Plus many people inquire about the 900 that should give them some insight.

Here's the not positive one

Quote:
Conclusion: This case sucks. Easily the WORST CASE I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH. Between the nightmare drive bays, the cable routing hell, 3hr+ build time, and all the other annoyances I can safely say I'd never buy, use, or recommend this case under any circumstances even though the cooling IS AMAZING. As far as a FRUSTRATION FACTOR I'd give this a 10/10 in that category.

Positive review
Now the positive one is mainly the reason I am posting this. A fair amount of mod are done by the user, these mod are rather easy and the final result is really cool. I though 3lfk1ng and others could get a kick out of it even though it is basic moding.

Un modded (1st review)

Modded , how cool is that, really worth the effort IMO.(2nd review)

More about : antec 900 bad good review

December 17, 2006 3:34:42 PM

do you have temp problem with your graphic card nearest to the power supply.

i see you invert your power supply

but power supply suck air from casing.

and your graphic card also suck air onto the GPU.

so they are fighting each other. this reduce your gpu cooling and also produce a massive vibration in your case.

do you hear a lot of noise? do you feel massive vibration of casing.

if you continue to use it as on your photo. i think you will say bye bye to your graphic card very soon.
December 17, 2006 4:01:52 PM

1rst, I dont think that is actually his case, just the one that was featured in the second review, and second, isn't there a fan on the side panel that blows air directly above the ps and below the graphic card?
Related resources
December 17, 2006 9:37:02 PM

not shown on picture

and too high to be any help
December 17, 2006 11:53:41 PM

I guess I don't see what you are saying in terms of creating a massive vibration and ruining the graphics card.

The sound card is between the PSU fan and the HR-03 fan and even if it weren't, the fans are far enough apart to get all the airflow they will need.
December 18, 2006 12:44:57 AM

Even forgetting the nice swapping for the CPU and GPU coolers and the PSU, just the improved cable routing does wonders for the appearance, and I'm sure to some extent the airflow, of the case.

In my case, I have all the cables fairly neatly tucked away except for one annoying molex that has to power my side fan. And the other thing is I'm looking forward to there being good SATA optical drives down the road. I've stayed away from them so far because I've heard poor reviews, but I don't like the big flat IDE cable. Also, in the next few months, my current drive will be worn out.

As far as cases go, I think the next one I get will be when I move over to BTX motherboards.
June 23, 2009 8:02:00 AM

ma2ha3 said:
not shown on picture

and too high to be any help

well ur wrong, with the cables fixed place, and the fans in drive bay, this case is as cool as any iv ever seen, the extensions can be gotten and used, and this thing can be modded very well, and the air flow is more than enough for psu and graphics as i run two 4870s in +fire on the asus m4a79 delux and temps are very good.remember the psu and graphics both vent out from exaust escape. the case will be somewhat loud when running full oc and set to max speed,but iv never felt vibration, and at medium or low its not loud by any means, the cable setup could have been thought out better,but no case is perfect for everyone, in my estemation this is a very good case. for the mony u wont beat it, anyone looking for a good midtower case should give this thing a good looking over.
June 23, 2009 8:14:07 AM

Unfortunately no one who previously posted on this thread is present. So whomever you are telling "well ur wrong" likely has a new system. You are replying to a thread last posted to on December 17, 2006.
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 23, 2009 1:08:53 PM

HotFoot said:
And the other thing is I'm looking forward to there being good SATA optical drives down the road. I've stayed away from them so far because I've heard poor reviews, but I don't like the big flat IDE cable.

As far as cases go, I think the next one I get will be when I move over to BTX motherboards.

I have several SATA optical drives - Samsung, LG, and one LITEON. The LITEON died within 6 months. One of my Samsung's has been running for almost three years.

And BTX motherboards are dead.

On the original topic, I like Antec 900 cases. But I'm not blind.

The cooling is good enough that I am prepared to overlook the warts - primarily it's not a toolless case (I have lot's of screwdrivers :)  ) and the abysmal cable management. Taking a little time to cut 3 well placed holes cures that. And cutting a fourth hole right below the CPU socket permits me to remove a cooler backing plate without removing the motherboard.

Or you can simply get something like a CM690 or HAF932.
March 30, 2014 1:58:39 PM

I have a few thoughts on my Antec 900
It is a great case! (up to the limits of it's design)

The cooling is very nice while the concerned PSU and GPU fighting for air issue is non-existent. To confirm for new people who read this is this:
The side opening (Vio fans are crap btw :)  ) allows for a 120mm fan to be mounted and also supplies enough air for my GTX 660 and PSU to not conflict while the front of the case brings in enough for the other fan on my GTX 660.

The case is a bit noisy and you can easily hear it but to some they can think it's positive while others disagree. However the noise made will NOT overpower anything. (that Vio fan was noisier than my whole case)

The cage drives are painful to take out and put in but rest your mind on that there is absolutely NO way they could come out. (even if a tornado decided to have fun with it)

You will have no problems with cooling.

GPU compatibility will be an issue and I would check if it fits however a GTX 660 Direct CU II and slightly larger would fit well. I estimate 11 inches of GPU size (length is capable.

Overall I would recommend this case if you have lots of time and/or like to case mod. If you plan for a large GPU don't expect to fit it without help.
There are many better cases but for a ancient case it's probably the best you'll see.
!