lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
my freaking mom dropped my harddrive while it was in a external case

it makes a clicking noise and doesnt mount!!!

is it broken?!?!!?

i have it in my freezer rite now...

Wow. Sounds like your screwed bro. The clicking noise is the worst, seriously. Opening it probably won't help and will more likely hurt it since you're not a trained professional. I work on computers for a living and would never open a hard drive with data on it that I intended to keep.

BTW: Wrong section.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Plug it in, boot up. If it works, yay. If it doesn't, bummage.

Don't open it up unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I say this because the platters CANNOT get ANY dust on them, or you'll get a head crash (dust will disrupt the actuator, causing it contact the platter, destroying it). Or, if you know it's fried, disassemble it for fun.

Remember this adage:

Hard Drives are mechanical, making them slower, less reliable, and more fragile than chip-based storage.

Edit: To TC: Yeah, that clicking is probably a f***ked actuator.

lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
my luck...i plugged my other drive into the same ex.case when it was on...spark...fire smell...killed it...2 FLIPPIN DRIVES IN ONE NIGHT...i didnt have anything on that one tho

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Yeh, it's dust man, and opening it up outside of a clean room, without a static strap and no ion shower and all of the other mumbojumbo would do it in, even if it was good. Sorry man

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
The platters are actually in a vacuum. I know this guy who recovers data, he built his own little "vacuum chamber" for that purpose

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
In simple, pray you backed up your data. And don't do anything as stupid as opening the drive.

The way I see it, he's got nothing to lose by opening the drive. His data's gone the way of the Baiji dolphin. At least he'll get a nice view of all the spinning bits inside. :lol:

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
the drive is roadkill
the ticking noise, is actually the read-write head that can't focus on the data any more, try to recover with some software, like getdataback, to recover as much as possible, but place the hard drive inside your computer on a IDE channel. good luck, you're going to need it

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
my freaking mom dropped my harddrive while it was in a external case

it makes a clicking noise and doesnt mount!!!

I did a similar thing many years ago with an old WD 4GB HDD. I didn't need the data on it anyway, and it wouldn't work properly, so I took the cover off and could actually see the head actuator and the platters moving... I was running scandisk which would lock the PC at about 50%, so when it got to about 48% I *gasp* rubbed my fingers all over the exposed top surface of the upper platter as it was spinning.... When it locked up I just pulled the cables out of the back of it while the platters were still spinning... Really awesome gyroscope effect! Much stronger than I would have thought! Then I took the whole thing apart... Fascinating!

i have it in my freezer rite now...

Are you planning to eat it at a later date?

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006

OMG! Now there's a trick I never knew.

A very good friend of mine once told me the best way to recover data from a hard drive was to rub my feet on nylon carpet for 5 minutes and then stroke the delicate "underparts" of the drive lovingly for a few seconds. I never managed to get that to work, though... So I never did manage to recover the pictures of him and the sheep. And the horse. :?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Did we mention that most hard drives have at least a 3 year manufacturers warranty? If you haven't voided the warrany by breaking the seal and opening the drive, then you can probably RMA it, and save yourself some money. Check the date of manufacture, and go to their website for details.

Hope this helps. Good Luck! :)