Sign in with
Your question

Adding an extra AP

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 14, 2006 5:54:04 PM

I have, until recently been using a "Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless gateway router and a seperate external modem, connecting up to 3 PC's all wirelessly at home, all works fine, but for a while now I have been wanting an all-in-one unit, so I have purchased a new "Belkin F5D7632-4 ADSL modem with wireless G router".
Now my PC and router(F5D7632-4) are setup on the 1st floor and my son has now moved into the loft conversion on the 3rd floor and has taken his PC with him, however he now gets a "low" or "poor" signal strength, which I can understand to a degree but now I got this "spare" router(F5D7230-4) I was thinking that if it is set up as an extra AP using the wireless bridging mode, it would help his connection no end. So my questions for now are :

1. Is my thinking above correct ? and if so....
2. Does the extra AP connect to his PC and by which method, LAN cable or wirelessly. So he actually connects to the AP and this AP then connects to the main router downstairs ?

Stupid questions will be asked here no doubt but nothing, I hope, that is absolutely ridiculous. :wink:

More about : adding extra

May 14, 2006 9:25:48 PM

The first problem is its a Belkin.

You may have better luck change the antennas (if replaceable) to some high gain type.

Or try a repeter on the second floor to boost the signal. A AP want do you any good. Unless you can set it up on the second floor, and run a cable from the 3rd floor.
!