Trying to oc 8800gts! Memory not cooperating. Need Help.

marcus8791

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Well. Im trying to oc my EVGA 8800gts. I used ATI tool 0.26. Scaning for artifacts would only let me turn up the memory to 847.00MHz. That is not very much. I do not see any on the box. I have heard that ATI tool is a little sensitive. What do you guys think? I am very sad it that is all it has. BTW. The core will crank up to 654. I am happy with that. Thank you in advance.

ATI tools works wonders on mine.
Don't even know if coolbits still works with the new drivers.
NTune is worthless.

OC'ing your hardware is all about luck of the draw.
Sometimes you get great hardware, sometimes you don't.

Sounds like you did prety good already.
847MHz is a good boost from 792MHz.
But than again, mabey ATI tools is being a little to pickey for ya.

You could always try taking it up a little higher and visualy scaning your most intensive game.
Just don't be suprised if it locks up in the middle of a long game.

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
cool bits wont work with the newest drivers from nvidia for the 8800's,or at least i cant get it to work. i have the xfx 8800 gts and i used riva tuner to get it up to 602 and 902. it may go higher but im new to riva tuner and didnt want to push it.i like how cool bits does the test for you. at those speeds it runs at 67 degrees idle and i see 80's running 3d mark 06

jacky89

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Actually I can only o/c to 630/845 stable in Atitool

If I bumpt the mem to 850, it starts detecting artifacts.

I'm using the xfx 8800gts. What about you?

I can however run 3dMark 2006 fine at 650/975.

Atitool is a bit sensitive but it is the best video card o/c tool I've ever used

xfx 8800gts
620/950
stable W/ ATI tools
I can push it further (630/995) but get errors.
If the core is pushed past 630 the system locks after a few min.

Guess I just got a card with good mem.

To the Riva Tuner people.
Does it let you overclock the stream processer??
If not, has anyone heard of an app that will??

OP
Look at the slider under the artifact scanner settings.
I get great results with it 2 notches from the left.

jacky89

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Also I figured out how to use Rivatuner to activate fanspeed profiles with temperature triggers. This way you can have the fan speed up only when it is needed.

Edit:
I just noticed the reason for my poor memory clocks is because I have my fsb o/c from 200mhz stock to 281mhz. My cheap ECS 945p-a does not have any settings for the PCI-E to run at a fraction.
I have to o/c with Systool, so my PCI-E is also o/c from 100mhz to 141mhz. That's why I was only able to run at 630/845mhz. At stock FSB speeds, I can o/c at 660/990 no problem.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
First of all you don't use ATI tool on an Nvidia card. That would be why you are having trouble. Get rid of ATItool. Then Download Coolbits. This is a registry entry that unlocks the OCing tool that is built into the Nvidia drivers. Just download and double click it and your all set.

ATI Tool Main Features
No limits overclocking.
Support for overclocking for NVIDIA cards. <====
Finding maximum core and memory overclock by rendering into a Direct3D window and scanning the output for visual artifacts.
Temperature monitoring and fan speed control (on supported cards)
Removal of Catalyst overclocking lock for 9000/9200/9550/9600 series.
Artifact scanning mode to test for stability.
Loading a predefined clock profile on Application/Windows startup.
Hotkeys that can be used any time to load clocks from a profile.
3D application detection (Direct3D 8, Direct3D 9, OpenGL) to overclock your video card only when required.
Gamma control

The website I got it from