Amd or Intel? Which is next for you?

What do you think about the future?

• Intel for me, now and forever!

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • AMD is the best, and will be my product until death!

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I''m upgrading to Intel soon, as their procs have the best perf right now, bar none.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I''m witholding my upgrades until the next gen from AMD is here, then we''ll see.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I ain''t got no monies, so its gonna be a long time before I buy.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I just got a new system, so I''m gonna hang on to it until I HAVE to upgrade, then I''ll decide.

Votes: 12 13.8%

• Total voters

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Pretty much a straightforward question. Basically I'm wanting to know a bit more about these forums and get a clearer view on what people want here. There has been quite a lot of opinions flying around (lord knows I've seen enough flame wars to last me a lifetime), and I was just wanting to quantify what everyone thought, just so that there is some solid data out there for the forumz.

And a bit more serious question: Is anyone having buyer's remorse? Did you get a system and then realize that you really needed/wanted a system that was powered by the competing company's processor?

A bit more data to add to the mix...

I will probably go with another Intel CPU because I want to upgrade my HTPC next year which currently has an Athlon XP-M 2600+. I hope to upgrade my E6600 with something faster and drop that into my HTPC.

If for some reason the K8L completely dominates C2D by a wide margin then I would consider switching. But it has to be a huge difference since my MSI 975X Platinum is full ATX while my HTPC case is m-ATX. I don't want to toss my MSI mobo which cost me $190 at the time I bought it for no good reason.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
We go for the best product at the time of our purchase.

Dang it, i forgot to put that one in there, Well, i alluded to it with the wait and see ones, but, you're right, it shoulda been in there.

However, i think it is safe to assume that every regular on here will agree with your opinion.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i thought it was after the first of next year.
and seen another thread where you and some others were
saying a week or so.

i havent been keeping up with the release date.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Seeing as how I'm running on my old Athlon XP 2500+ I need to upgrade very soon which makes Intel the best choice for me. I'm waiting on the E4300. Cheap processor with a multi of 10 oh my! :lol:

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Sorry, if sony is a big part of it, its going to fail. History has shown that with new technology. Hopefully IBM can find someone to sell the Cell to before it goes the way of the betamax and the minidisk, it sure is an astounding piece of hardware.

Oh and BTW, :evil: sony :evil: is the devil. They make microsoft look like a big cuddly teddy bear when it comes to business practices.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Seeing as how I'm running on my old Athlon XP 2500+ I need to upgrade very soon which makes Intel the best choice for me. I'm waiting on the E4300. Cheap processor with a multi of 10 oh my! :lol:
Same here. I plan on getting one of the new Allendales E4200-E4400, but , if AMD should come out with something that gives the performance/$ AND overclocks as well as the Intel's(before i buy)....i will seriously look at those as well.

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Happy with my C2D e6300 now...(depleted my resources for a new system with that though)... by the time I upgrade maybe in a year or 2 I'll choose depending what brand is the best for that time being.. K8L or Penyrn

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
K8L will be a good processor I am suspecting.

Since you are a sage with astounding encyclopaedic knowledge, please set me straight, Jack. Is K8L Barcelona or Deerhound?

K8L is the internal project name AMD.
There will be many variants for K8L
Quad core server: Barcelona
Quad core desktop: Altair (FX)

There will be also variants for dual-core and single core.

Lathangrill

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
As already said above, it's a dumb question.
I have XXXX € to buy a CPU. I don't care who manufacture it. I just care for the perfomance I get.
Actually, I plan to upgrade before Xmas for a rather cheap investment (well, not so cheap), and it will be Intel, 'cause AMD's behind.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I actually just recently got a system, about a month ago. So I'll be keeping this for a long time. I went with Core 2 Duo because it had the best performance at the moment. I'm not really a fanboy of either company, it just depends on who has the faster processor. Half a year ago, I was looking at the X2 3800+. As for the GPU, I don't care if ATI has a faster card, I'll still buy Nvidia. I've had one ATI card, the X850XT and it's ehh... I prefer Nvidia and I love my 8800 GTX.

And a bit more serious question: Is anyone having buyer's remorse? Did you get a system and then realize that you really needed/wanted a system that was powered by the competing company's processor?
Nope. I love my system to death. It's the fastest computer I've ever used :)